Storage forum

General discussion

external hard drive not recognised

by cbazza / May 28, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

I have been trying to read the discussion on this, but internet explorer keeps closing on me every time I select a response.
My dilemma is, you guessed it I have a 120GB hard drive from Maxtor, which don't work. I have tried many things but it still dont work. When I connect it to my PC it detects it as a USB Mass Storage' device and then when it tries to install it, it says there was an error with the installation and may not work correctly. You got it, it dont' not at all!!. I am using WinXP Home. Any suggestions? PLEASE, I am going nuts!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external hard drive not recognised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external hard drive not recognised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did it come with drivers?
by Coryphaeus / May 28, 2006 12:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, It came with drivers, but not for XP
by cbazza / May 28, 2006 6:04 PM PDT

There was a CD with drivers on it. The disks was an SSI software pack with, drivers for win98 and win 2000. I am using WinXP home. This worked at first, I was able to transfer data over to it from my laptop. It worked for a while with no problems. It seemed to start to misbehave after I did a clean re-install on my Laptop. I would have to wait until the ex HD to warm up before it would work.

I have since tried to use it on my home PC also using XP home. Now it loads on PC, the system detects it as a Mass storage device, tries to install it and then says 'A problem occured during installation and it may not work correctly. It doesn't I have tried different USB leads, the power cable transformer is ok. I have tried different ports, all to no avail. I have looked at disk management and it is not there!

Collapse -
I've just fixed a problem that sounded like that...
by anthony_tuting / June 1, 2006 11:46 AM PDT

I believe its a drive letter conflict. There are basically 2 ways to fix it:

1. Remove any other USB jump drives or mapped network drives that may be using drive letters d: through g: Then restart with the Maxtor device plugged in, it should then be reognised as "Local Disk" on whichever letter it picks up.

2. Find the USB device in Device Manager, right-click and go to properties, then manually select an available drive letter. Restart may be required.

Collapse -
Thanks, I will try that
by cbazza / June 7, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

Hi Thanks I will try that , when I get the mains lead back from the people I got it from. I am awaiting this to arrive back.

Collapse -
Jumper setting/driver
by TheCyberShadow / June 9, 2006 10:36 AM PDT

I just purchased a 20GB Maxtor, instwlled it in an external case - nothing. I tried master jumper setting and slave setting - no deal.
Do I need a driver loaded first?

Collapse -
I have a similar problem, but ...
by JellyBeaner / October 31, 2006 4:25 AM PST

Hi, I was combing the knowledge base for help and found your entry. I have intstalled a Mad Dog MegaStor 7-in-1 External USB 2.0 DVD+-RW DL.

I use XP Home OS. The device installs automatically with windows and usb driver on a disk. Its been installed.

When I go to Device Mgr, USB 2.0 Storage Device shows up under headings:

Hard Disks
USB Controllers
USB Root Hub (properties)

I don't see any opportunity in Device Mgr to assign mapped letters. The only place I know of where that option shows is to Map network drives.

Can you give me some assistance in resolving my issue? I'd really appreciate your experise.

Regards, JellyBeaner

Under R

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.