Storage forum

External hard drive not reading and am at my wit's end!

by saskiatje / March 26, 2013 3:40 PM PDT

Hi folks,
I have a 500gb WD portable external hard drive. I'd say it's about 6 years old (ancient, I know) and has never given me strife EXCEPT for today.
I have it connected to my laptop pretty much all the time as my laptop is also old and ****** with little storage, so everything I d/l goes straight onto the external hd. I was using my laptop earlier and the hd starting making whirring and scratching noises, which it's never made before, and when I looked for it in MyComputer, it was nowhere to be seen. It's still showing up as connected to the computer in my device manager, and it's also able to be removed via the 'safely remove hardware' option - but I can't actually access what's on it!
I've tried uninstalling the driver via device manager, which was successful. I then re-installed and tried to update the driver software, and was told I already had the latest version. Still not showing up in MyComputer.
I also looked for it in disk management and SOMETHING was there - 'Disk 1 - Unknown' and when I looked at it, my option was to initialize. I'm pretty sure that will wipe all my data, though, so I chose not to do that.
All my photos and music and a heap of other sentimental stuff is on this thing (and it's not backed up - I KNOW I'm an idiot) and I was realllllly hoping that someone here would have some advice for me. If I can't fix the problem myself, what are my options...?
Thanks in advance...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drive not reading and am at my wit's end!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drive not reading and am at my wit's end!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you read the top post in this forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

In the Welcome post titled Lost and Found we cover recovery titles from free to trial to pay and the recovery houses.

Please start there.

Collapse -
PS. Nod to Recuva
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

Remember to NEVER repair the drive. Your seasoned data recovery person only READS from such drives. If anyone tells you to do anything that writes to said drive, you have to nod and forget what they are saying.

Recover the files, do not write to or repair the drive contents. If you can't use said tools, then back to drive savers.
Collapse -
Stop using the drive immediately
by inou81 / March 29, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

Stop using the drive immediately If the drive is making the sounds you described, stop trying to restart it. You most likely are making matters worse. The scratching sound very well could be the heads hitting the platters causing more media damage. Unfortunately, this one will need to be sent out for recovery.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.