Storage forum

Question

External Hard Drive NOT Copying Large Files

by MindOfQuestions / December 5, 2012 12:22 AM PST

My iOmega LDHD-UP2, 2TB, External Hard Drive works fine when I plug it in and the files (mainly videos) run properly. I have divided my 2TB into two partitions (let's say U drive & ME drive), nearly 1TB each. Both the partition is formatted as NTFS.
The problem is that the ME drive that has all videos, about 10GB, does not copy files properly anymore. Any file size over 500MB will start copying and eventually the copying speed rate decreases dramatically, most of the times from 100MB/s to 2MB/s, and just stops without moving any further when it's about 10 - 20 sec left to complete the transfer of data (videos). I have tried waiting for the completion of data transfer for more than 5 hours for just 1.5GB File.
The light on the External Hard Drive blinks very fast and stops blinking randomly when the transfer stops/ freezes.
To fix this problem I have tried Defragmentation of the ME drive, tried USB Update, tired Error-checking, virus scan for both the drives (U & ME) and also recently copied all my 10GB worth or data on to my desktop, formatted the ME drive again with NTFS and copied back all the files. It was working fine until i copied all the files but then soon after a day passed by the same problem occurred in the ME drive.
Since the transfer of data stops, I try to cancel the transfer, its loads for 2+ hours and does not close/ cancel. This leads me to unplug the USB from my computer without ejecting the drive.
Meanwhile the U drive with just about 5GB of data works perfectly fine when copying big media files
Is it because of the space used? even then i have about 980GB of free space on my ME drive!
My Computer configuration:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
650 Intel Core i5 processor
8GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT320 1024MB

So please if anyone had any solutions or suggestions for my problems I'll be so thankful for you...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive NOT Copying Large Files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive NOT Copying Large Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you run CHKDSK?
by wpgwpg / December 5, 2012 12:37 AM PST

I'd run Chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of bad sectors.

Good luck.

Collapse -
NOD, but one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Have you run CHKDSK?

Add a note about backup before that step. As the drive may have an issue, CHKDSK may push it over the cliff before they had a chance to save their files.
Bob

Collapse -
I did this...
by MindOfQuestions / December 5, 2012 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: Have you run CHKDSK?

Just now i finished with the Checking Disk and also Defragmentation, but the problem still occurs.
It copies to a certain limit and it freezes, Light on the HDD blinking very fast, the "Time remaining" says "calculating..." and the "Speed" stays as 135MB/sec without any change.

Collapse -
You could download disk diagnostics
by wpgwpg / December 5, 2012 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: I did this...

from Seagate or Western Digital. They have some good ones. If you should buy another external hard drive, I'd recommend one of those two brands.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: I did this...

We know there are limits to the file count in the root directory. We also know that as you put more and more files in a folder the speed steps down every 250 or 500 files. There's a lesson there. An old one.

Do the disk test AFTER you have your files safe.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.