Peripherals

Question

External hard drive no longer recognized by my computer

by Gregory286 / January 1, 2013 2:59 AM PST

I have a Lacie 80GB portable hard drive that I have used for my Dell Computer and IBM NetVista computers. I installed a Gear Head DVD-RAM onto the IBM computer. Now my Lacie Portable us not recognized on the computer. At the time of installation of the DVD-RAM I was using the Lacie on my other computer. So, the DVD-RAM was assigned to F: where the Lacie was always assigned. But when I plugged the Lacie into the the NetVista it does not recognize it anylonger. I replugged it back into the Dell computer and it worked fine. So what am I missing? I need a step by step of how to fix this problem. I checked the USB ports by using a Zip Drive and it is assigned to G: now (it also use to be assigned F: as did the Lacie). I may mention that on checked the Device Manager and even uninstalled the Gear Head to see if the Lacie would work but it did not. Any solutions out there?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drive no longer recognized by my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drive no longer recognized by my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try looking at the controls noted at link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 3:03 AM PST
Collapse -
by Gregory286 / January 1, 2013 3:44 AM PST

Yes I tried what was told in the link. I changed the the Gear the Gear Head to G: but the F: drive will no longer recognize the Lacie External Drive. Yesterday I uninstalled the Gear Head DVD-RAM via the Hardware Device Manager and the Lacie was not recognized. I also went to C:\Windows\inf\infcache.1 and deleted the file and reinstalled the Gear Head USB device. XP Pro reinstalled the Gear Head when I plugged it up. But it did not recognize the Lacie in that instance as well.

Collapse -
Sounds like an USB issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 3:51 AM PST

Yes, folk might write that the USB Zip drive test or tell us that USB 2.0 is backwards compatible but given the story it sounds like an older PC. 80GB should be OK even on XP Pro. I know folk don't want to reveal if they have XP Pro SP3 but in some cases it matters. In this case it might but the clues are not here.

That is, I don't see much about this computer. But try all the USB ports and other USB cables to the drive. If the drive is USB powered, then use one of those power boosting Y USB cables.

I don't want to upset you but "it worked before" is a common phrase you hear from folk with old gear.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like an issue
by Gregory286 / January 1, 2013 3:59 AM PST

I do not have a spare Y USB cable but I will invest in one tomorrow. I do have Windows XP Pro SP3.

Collapse -
By the way
by Gregory286 / January 1, 2013 4:02 AM PST

Would it be okay if I removed the DVD-RAM from the Y USB cable and try the Lacie using that Y USB cable?

Collapse -
Good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: By the way

In my kit I carry a spare Y cable for times like this.
Bob

Collapse -
by Gregory286 / January 1, 2013 3:54 AM PST

It might be help to also say that both the DVD-RAM and the Lacie 80gb 2.0 External are PNPs. I do not have the specs for the Lacie because it was given to me by a friend and he no longer has any info on the Lacie. I do not have any driver info for the Lacie as a result to submit to Lacie.com . Besides XP Pro always detected the device in the past but now does not. I also plugged in the Zip drive and it went straight to F: now that I have assigned the DVD-RAM to G:

Collapse -
PS. It worked before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 4:02 AM PST

Since you don't see any sign of it in device manager, it sounds more like the USB port or power issues. I don't suspect the OS too much yet but you can always boot up some LiveCD as Ubuntu to test the hardware. (No install, free.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.