Mac Applications forum

General discussion

External hard drive has become read only

by NewToMacAus / January 2, 2009 5:39 AM PST

I have recently entered the world of Mac and are having difficulty with the storage for my music.

On my PC I was operating iTunes via an external hard drive without any difficulty. On my new Mac I am wanting to operate in the same way but once having set up the new iTunes to read the Music folder on my external hard drive, it has turned the external hard drive into a read only drive, not allowing me to add any more music.

The option to make to read/write in the sharing and permissions information area is not available.

Any thoughts how I am able to make the external drive read/write again and allow more music to be added?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drive has become read only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drive has become read only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My guess is that the external drive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2009 6:33 AM PST

is formatted as NTFS.
HFS+(Journaled) (OS X) can Read NTFS but cannot write to it.
NTFS cannot read or write to HFS+

Your choice, if you no longer have the PC sharing from that drive, is to archive your music library and format the drive as HFS+. On completion, replace the music library.

P

Collapse -
External Maxtor USB Drive used on MAC AND Windows pc
by geoff_fowler / February 20, 2009 8:19 AM PST

I have a similar problem, with an added complication in that I use my new MACBook Pro at home on files pulled from my portable Maxtor drive but need to save them back onto the portable drive to access them on my work windows XP machine. I have got around this by uploading the file to my internet fileserver (mydocsonline) then downloading the file onto my Windows machine. Bit longwinded, I would like an easier way like direct saving to the Maxtor drive.

Geoff (MAC neewbie)

Collapse -
Reading
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2009 9:16 AM PST

There are a number of utilities that will allow the Mac to read from, and write to, an NTFS formatted disk.

Format the external as NTFS, install the software on the Mac, and you are good to go.

P

Collapse -
External Maxtor USB Drive used on MAC AND Windows pc
by geoff_fowler / February 20, 2009 5:30 PM PST
In reply to: Reading

Thanks, which programs would you suggest?

Geoff

Collapse -
Reading NTFS on OS X
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2009 10:39 PM PST

Take a look at:

This one
OR
This one

The first one is a paid, commercial, product while the second one is an open-source product which is free.

Try the second one first to see how it suits you.

P

Collapse -
NTFS on OSX
by sturner--2008 / January 20, 2011 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Reading NTFS on OS X

Depending on your domfort with installing programs that aren't turnkey, the second method works nicely. If you aren't comfortable with it then the use of the commercial program will work nicely. I use the one mentioned by mrmacfixit, and have had absolutely no problems with it. It's easy to install, works seamlessly, and lets me work with my large files going back and forth between my portable drive.

Collapse -
External hard drive has become read only
by willorox / January 20, 2011 9:30 AM PST

hi i have seen your problem and like so have the same problem the fastest way i have seen is to use a memory stick with a high data capacity like a 32 gb stick. At least then it is readable and writable on macs Happy

Collapse -
I had the same problem on my imac....
by Lucy101UK / May 26, 2011 8:18 PM PDT

I just ejected my hard drive and plugged it back in and it worked fine...
My Maxtor HD was already working on my imac for running my itune and after tidying my itunes files on the HD and other files, the HD became read only...
I tried most things like system preferences and itunes preferences but it was the simplest solution that worked in the end for me..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.