Storage forum

General discussion

External Hard Drive exceeding power limit of USB hub port

by heck / January 28, 2007 10:37 AM PST

I just bought a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 250 GB external hard drive. As soon as I plugged it into my laptop (Dell Inspiron) I received a power surge notification that a device had exceeded the power limit of the USB hub port. Does this mean my laptop does not have enough power to work with the hard drive?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive exceeding power limit of USB hub port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive exceeding power limit of USB hub port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That means ...
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2007 4:18 PM PST
Collapse -
External Hard Drive exceeding power limit
by model400747 / February 1, 2007 7:27 PM PST

There is a possibility that when you connected the external HD to your laptop, the power surge might've been created by the HD motor trying to start up from a low RPM. When the motor is trying to accelerate the disks, the motor will draw more current than usual to get the disks rotating. However, when the disks are at full speed, the current drawn will be much less because all the motor needs to do it keep the disks spinning at a constant rate. Also, since your laptop was probably on at the time you plugged the HD in, your laptop might've already been seeing a certain amount of load being applied to the USB by other devices (if any were connected) and might've considered that load level to be normal. When you added a considerable amount of load from the HD trying to start up, it might've seen this load to be unusual and then give you the warning.

The solution I would try first is to already have the HD plugged in during boot...and then once the operating system is up and running, see if the drive works fine. If there is still a surge notification then I would try connecting an external powered USB hub. If this fails, there might be something wrong with the external HD because there are power draw specifications for USB ports and I'm sure that these HD manufacturers have paid attention to adhering to them

Collapse -
by Danni Sarena / February 1, 2007 8:07 PM PST

I have a similar problem with one of my external hard drives. I unplug the USB cable from the external drive before turning it's power on. After a 30 seconds or so I plug in the USB cable back in and it works fine.

Collapse -
problem solved
by heck / February 3, 2007 6:59 AM PST

I ended up calling tech support, and they weren't able to identify the problem. They told me it may have been a defective product, so I exchanged it, and now I have one that works fine. Thanks for all the input.

Collapse -
by bluenose117 / October 8, 2008 12:38 PM PDT

I had the same problem today, i took my hard drive back, got another one ( a different brand altogether)still the same message. i have a dell inspiron 8600.
I have reached the conclusion that it is the dell crappy good for nothing ******** piece of **** of a computer. once again, dell screws us and we can't do anything about it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.