PC Hardware forum

Question

External Hard Drive Enclosure Not Recgonized By Windows 7 PC

by Quinja1992 / July 29, 2014 3:23 PM PDT

I just bought the Sabrent 3.5' SATA/IDE hard drive enclosure to get the data off of a Seagate 160GB ST3160815A Ultra ATA hard drive. My problem is that the enclosure is not recognized by my windows 7 64-bit laptop, even though I can hear the drive running and the wheel appears to be spinning.

The Seagate drive installs when plugged in but doesn't show up under my computer under computer management the it appears as disk 1 is unknown, not initialized and when i click initial it says the "disk is not ready"

using command prompt BIOS i can see the drive as disk 1 but it says 0 GB used or free, (im assuming this means the disk is empty) but i know there is data on there, as my costumer told me, how do i double check that there is no data on the drive? or did i mess up and get the wrong enclosure?

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive Enclosure Not Recgonized By Windows 7 PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive Enclosure Not Recgonized By Windows 7 PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: how do I know?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 29, 2014 4:56 PM PDT

Check the connections (iinside the enclosure) , try another disk, try another enclosure, mount the disk as internal disk inside new PC. That kind of thing.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Checkout...
by Willy / July 29, 2014 10:52 PM PDT

Don't "initialize the ext. drive as you may lose whatever data is present. Next, I don't know why you're trying to use an ext. drive but if its the case of retrieving data from that old drive, then you have to have a working HD. Also, I don't understand, "wheel" there are no wheel(s) in general unless you're talking about a small fan in the ext. case. Since, this is a older PATA type drive, then EIDE as well, be sure to use "CS" jumper or none as the drive may require that to work or be ready to acknowledge within that case. Otherwise, use "master" jumper setting but also your ext. case vendor should offer how it should be setup for use.

If you had a working ext. drive setup, the response from the laptop should have been setting up USB device, etc. and then be ready for use. You post suggests it never got that. Further, if you truly have a damaged HD to begin with, using an ext. case just isn't going to improve that.

One last test, I do try is using some Linux "live disc". Get or create using .ISO gotten file to burn. I suggest Ubuntu version and create it. Once done, boot from it and having the ext. case present. After booting it should see the ext. case and see it mounted, try then to access ext. drive. If it doesn't work then, the HD inside is kaput. You will then need to try some "data retrieval s/w" under windows to hopefully get data, like Rescuva. Check the storage forum here for such s/w and procedures. Of course, if you have a true bad HD, probably not.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hi Willy
by Quinja1992 / July 31, 2014 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Checkout...

Yeah I'm trying to recover data (pictures) from the Seagate drive. The Seagate drive seems to run properly in the external enclosure it wont recognize on my windows 7 laptop, even though the hard drive was installed/

I also attempted to set the jumper to Master Only as the external casing directions suggested but realized that the jumper pin is missing and is very hard to remove from Slave to Master

Collapse -
It's suppose to work
by Willy / July 31, 2014 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Willy

It appears all done that's necessary. I can only conclude that either the ext. USB enclosure is bad(I/f wiring, small PCB inside) or the HD itself is kaput. The other possible feature if its "encypted" in any way, that too will make it unseen. if this is also gotten from some DVR setup, that too can cause a problem.

Overall, if the HD was working before you installed(known to work) and now it doesn't then that leaves the ext. case as possible bad. Return and see if replacement will fix it. If you followed instructions to the letter for use of the ext. case, then it should have worked. You didn't state the prior use of the HD and why you now need to do this.

Other than what I posted earlier may help. I also suggest you GPARTED, burn to disc and make it bootable or flash drive. Boot from it and see if it finds the ext. case HD mounted. In most cases, I rather do a direct HD connection rather than from a laptop. Even using Win7-64bit it should see the ext. HD.

Here is a more direct approach, to select the HD, but it will format or lose data, proceed at your risk.

1) enter command prompt, click on start, type cmd, enter
2) type diskpart, enter
3) type list disk, enter
4) type select disk X (X=no. of disk)
5) type clean, enter
6) type create partition primary, enter
7) type exit, enter
Cool type exit, enter again to leave

The above will lose any data but it returns the disk back for PC use. If it can't do this then that suggests the HD is bad or similar as explained above. I can't add anything more, good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Unless you KNOW it's got FAT32, exfat, or NTFS on it
Collapse -
I will look into that
by Quinja1992 / July 31, 2014 4:27 AM PDT

My problem is that in computer management is says the disk is Not Initialized so I can;t even name the disk. I'm thinking because it was the main HD on the Compaq with the letter C it may be confused since my HD on my HP Laptop is also C.

Collapse -
Answer
Let me see if I got this right.
by Oldartq / July 30, 2014 7:43 AM PDT

You bought an external Hdd. enclosure and you put the 160GB Seagate in it? Or is it just a new Hdd. with the enclosure? It so, what capacity (over 2GB)?

Collapse -
More info
by Quinja1992 / July 31, 2014 3:53 AM PDT

I bought a HDD Enclosure in hopes of recovering the data (pictures) off of the Seagate hard drive that came out of an old Compaq Windows XP that had crashed. The Seagate drive powers on but does make some buzzing noises and will not appear on my Windows 7 machine when plugged in.

The hard drive I'm attempting to get the data from says "Ultra ATA" on the label where the enclosure says "Serial ATA" by the way

Collapse -
Re: disc
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 31, 2014 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

You can't put an ATA (IDE) drive in a SATA enclosure. Better buy an ATA enclosure (if they still exist!).

Kees

Collapse -
see Kees, and...
by James Denison / July 31, 2014 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

...you should look inside your current computer or check it's manual and see if it has an IDE port on it. Some new motherboards still do, often used with the DVD drive. If so, you could take the side off, plug a power cord to it, use an older PATA flat ribbon cable, then boot and get the files off it that way.

Collapse -
Answer
What instructions were provided re setting the jumpers on
by VAPCMD / August 1, 2014 10:18 AM PDT

IDE drive for use in the external enclosure ??

Collapse -
Answer
by VAPCMD / August 1, 2014 10:19 AM PDT

the IDE drive for use in the external enclosure ??

Collapse -
Answer
by VAPCMD / August 1, 2014 10:20 AM PDT

the IDE drive for use in the enclosure ?

Collapse -
Answer
HD connection type
by hicarl92 / August 18, 2014 11:13 AM PDT

what is your hd connection type? is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
i got same problem as you few weeks ago. i used USB 2.0 to connect my hd but it seems like not recognized by windows. so i tried to bought a new enclosure which is USB 3.0. try connect my hd then problem solved.

im just giving my opinion based on my experience. hope this help Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.