Storage forum

External hard drive

by fmitchelltx / May 15, 2013 12:13 PM PDT

I am looking for an external hard drive to back up my present laptop and desktop computers. I don't want something that is going to be obsolete quickly. I am thinking a 1 or 2 TB hard drive. I will be purchasing probably a new all in one for my main computer, I saw a 23" Samsung w/ Windows 8 that I really like, and a new less expensive desktop for my home office. I may look into another laptop in a year or so. What brands should I look for? I am looking at a Western Digital 2TB My Book Essential right now. This is just under $100 at this time. What features do I need to be concerned about? I don't have a ton of data to store but that could change. I just want to get the best unit for my money.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just my 2-cents on the topic...
by Willy / May 16, 2013 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: External hard drive

ONE big issue with any ext. HD, that these are NOT permanent storage devices. They also shouldn't be used a the sole source of data. Don't dependent on these as the media to store important data for long. Check this forum or google away the results or requests of users trying to recover their data. Protect data, have multiple sources of back-ups.

Next, you're not going to find that many brands of ext. HDs out there. there maybe various models or levels of storage available but overall only a few makers. Take my advice handle these as if they were eggs. They do fail due to improper dismounts, handling and ESD(static) damage. So, with that in mind, don't get comfortable and then find a day were your data is stored on ext. HD and can't recover due to some hassle.

As for a brand, decide on storage amount, for me select a Seagate and "small" size using 2.5in HD. These tend to require less power to run BUT!!! if needed can use an ext. power source. Understand, some that use power from PC can cripple a USB port as it is a demanding power user. So, I like ext. AC powered HD. Last, one trick that should be used is the use of Velcro or non-slip mat where the ext. HD rests on desk or work area, so it don't fall victim to "droppage".

IMHO, I like Seagate ext. HDs, take that as you will.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
WD Passport or My book
by Page4Me / June 14, 2013 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: External hard drive

I would go with WDC passport 3.0, it is portable hard drive, fast also

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.