Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

External Hard drive (1TB) creates Recycler link virus

by Aldrich23 / March 24, 2013 8:43 AM PDT

Hi Admin, i have a 1TB external hard drive shrinking all my files into one link kinda virus. tried to download all the possible program i can to see my normal files back again. but after tons of reformatting / rebooting / installing new OS (Windows 8 pro) for fresher OS, then installed Norton Anti Virus [Updated], after doing some steps provided in some forum. he told me to download a UsbFix to delete the virus:

but it failed again, I tried to backing up my files to another flash drive and it also affected the other flash drive creating links and affecting every usb that connects into the PC and Laptop. How can i see my files again? T_T is there any steps or possible way to eliminate that virus? or is my Unit, PC, Laptop, and 2 external hard drives are infected with this kind of virus? Please help T_T Thank you so much.

Aldrich23 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard drive (1TB) creates Recycler link virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard drive (1TB) creates Recycler link virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Aldrich23

Collapse -
I'd restore to factory settings
by wpgwpg / March 24, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

First thing I'd do would be to save any data I want to keep from my C: drive. Then I'd restore to factory settings per my user guide. When done, the next thing I'd do would be to install an antivirus and get it up to date. Then (and only then) I'd see what's on those external drives.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Already did the factory restore settings.
by Aldrich23 / March 24, 2013 9:17 PM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Actually i have done the factory settings since it was my only move to at least prevent spreading the virus. my PC has windows 7 home basic (default), then ultimate (non-licensed), professional (non-licensed). then i decided to buy a licensed to have support with is windows 8 pro. have it installed, same with the Norton 360. fully scanned drive C and other USB infected., detected no viruses, but still the link keeps on coming back (i researched about the "run d l l 32 dot e x e' ), and i don't know if my whole system has been infected with the virus, or just the external hard drive.<span>

<span>Based with my history, i installed many OS using windows anytime upgrade, but with no valid licensed product key, so i was not supported by windows. from what i understand now is that with my PC not supported, even though i have Norton 360, i assumed i was protected when i downloaded a torrent file from private-bay. and that time, my External hard drive was plugged in so i think it was infected when i tried to install the downloaded file (corrupted i think). after which I headed back home, having this virus on my external.i could send you the log files if you need more references.

Collapse -
Re: non-licensed and private-bay
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 9:27 PM PDT

Time for a final solution.

Boot from a Linux disk or USB-stick. Use that to format all your USB-sticks and delete all partitions on all your external disks. Then boot from DBAN disk or stick and use that to fully erase your internal hard disks. All is gone then. If there's any data you want to keep, use Linux to copy ONLY THAT DATA to an external device or Dropbox.

Then install a licensed version of Windows and an antivirus.

Then carefully copy that few data files you set apart, without opening them. Then use your antivirus to scan them and quarantine all it doesn't trust.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.