Storage forum

External hard disk read but absent

by rik859 / July 19, 2013 2:46 PM PDT

when i am putting my Seagate external hard disk into the USB cable, the drive light turns on as it does normally,the green icon at bottom right in toolbar appears as well, but there is no autoplay and the drive is absent from 'My Computer'. It is appearing in the device manager. Explorer is running very slow. The same thing is happening with the drive in every other cable and in other computers as well.

Please give an insight if you can as to what may have happened and what can be done.

Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard disk read but absent
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard disk read but absent
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) Did you read the Strorage Forum "Sticky" ?
by VAPCMD / July 19, 2013 3:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
by rik859 / July 19, 2013 4:27 PM PDT

dont detect anything suggesting a solution to the above.

Collapse -
Can happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: yes

That's why we have a backup copy. Since it happens the same all over it sounds like a lost format. That is there is no file system on the drive. Since discussions and more about Windows Disk Management is widely discussed on how to partition and format the drive, I'll stop here.

Collapse -
There's lots of possibilities found within the Storage
by VAPCMD / July 20, 2013 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

Forum posts (and other forums too) for people reporting the same problem. What have you tried ?

Have you tested the drive on another USB port, tried another USB cable, tested with another PC, tried the bare drive as an internal drive in another PC ? What does it show under disk management ?

Collapse -
tried all
by rik859 / August 4, 2013 2:11 AM PDT

tried all of the ways that you hav mentioned.However, when I keep the disk attached to the port for sometime, after half an hour or so, autoplay starts, takes ten minutes, n then the drive opens, so i guess now the problem is somewhat different.

Thanks for taking out the time to answer.

Collapse -
Does not sound different.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: tried all

But it does sound like you can save your files before they are lost.

Drives fail in many ways so this does not sound different to me. The only new thing is I'm encountering folk that are new to PCs or computers and don't believe they need to backup.

That is, they actually think that all the problems with PCs have been solved.

Collapse -
by rik859 / August 8, 2013 12:10 AM PDT

are you talking to me? when did I even mention that i dont feel the need to back up? backing up concerns my data, wont solve the problem with the disk.

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 8, 2013 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: whaa??

Go into Windows disk management (yep, that built in) and try to delete the current partition(s) and make (a) new one(s).
But it could be a hardware issue. Then the possible solutions are:
1. Get the disk out and put it in another enclosure.
2. Buy a new one.

Collapse -
by jasmine733 / August 8, 2013 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: disk

hey Kees

thanks for your question to you is does this procedure (deleting partition) damage the data within the disk? I have been following this since I face somewhat the same problem.

Collapse -
Re: data
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: nice

'Damage' isn't the right word. It's simply deleted. But since it isn't accessible at the moment anyway, that's no great loss.

As you might know (and if you didn't you know now), it's definitely not recommended to use an external disk as STORAGE. They are too unreliable to trust your only copy of data to.
They are perfect for moving large amounts of data between computers that aren't in a local network, and the are perfect also as one of your backup media, and that's it. So if they fail and can't be repaired by putting them in another enclosure, you buy a new one and backup your data again.

Collapse -
Yes, I'm talking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: whaa??

Maybe you know better but you can imagine it's getting worse not better on the subject of backup. The newer owners are being told less and less about this area and urban lore is running wild about how SSD is safer than HDD because you won't lose your files. (that's a dang lie.)

Backup will solve this one. Replace the defective parts, restore to the fixed drive and you're all good.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.