PC Hardware

General discussion

External Hard Disk Problem

by el karel / September 26, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

I've had an external 120 Gb Maxtor Hard Disk for almost 3 years. Until recently it worked fine, but now when I try accesing certain folders I get the following message: "F:/.../(Folder path) is not accesible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".
I tried backing up all the data I had onto another hard disk, but the folders I couldn't access in the hard disk of origin were copyied to the other one as empty folders. Does anyone know if this is a hardware problem and how to fix it, or if there're good data recovery softwares that could be used? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Disk Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Disk Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look this up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2006 6:46 AM PDT

Zero Assumption Recovery.

If that shows it then it's just the decision process if the files are worth saving.

Bob

Collapse -
Try checkdisk
by E B / September 26, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

Start by running a checkdisk on it -- it's possible that you've got bad sectors, and if anything can fix it, checkdisk is your best (free) chance.

Go to Start, select Run, and type in this:

chkdsk f: /r

The /r tells it to check the entire drive for physical problems, and try to recover any data it can. This can salvage a surprising number of bad situations, but it's not a cure-all.

Don't be surprised if you end up with a ton of files moved to the root directory with weird names -- if there's data corruption, that's normal behavior. You might be able to recover data out of those files, particuarly if they're word processing files, but often they are just fragments of the original and aren't useful.

Good luck!

Collapse -
More importantly with checkdisk....
by schlice / September 26, 2006 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Try checkdisk

...is that it will allow those directories (and any other files) to be read correctly without errors. If files are corrupted, then the data is already gone. You just want to be able to get into the directories and read whatever data is left.

Collapse -
Could be This
by Kadegray / September 26, 2006 7:49 AM PDT

I recentily had a similar frustration.

i was unziping rar archives though, and ones they got to extraction certain files it would stop and an error would come up along the lines of what your getting but it said something about 'filename to long' and i later learned that by filename it ment the whole thing like d:/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/, all i did was extract the rars directing to the d:/ and it all went fine. Then you just cut all the directorys down and cut and past it where you want the files to go.

when i came over this, i thought id have to find recovery software and leave it running for a day or two.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.