Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

External exception E06D7363 with Linksys Wireless Card

by jeffericon / May 29, 2005 8:51 AM PDT

I have just installed a Linksys Wireless-G 802.11g Notebook Adapter (WPC54G v2) in my laptop(details below) with the following settings:
1) Infrastructure Mode
2) Network Settings Obtained Automatically (DHCP)
3) Encryption Method: Disabled

When trying to use the Linksys software to enable the adapter card, the error message "External exception E06D7363" keeps on popping up endlessly. The only way to disable the pop-up is to use Task Manager to end the process. With the card attached, there is no way of accessing the Linksys utility because of the endless error pop-ups. Without the card attached, I can start up the Linksys Adapter Utility. The driver supplied with the adapter is the same as the latest driver on the Linksys download site.

Bypassing the Linksys utility and letting Windows manage the adapter results in a network being recognised but unable to connect to (although there is sufficient signal strength). I have even disabled Norton Internet Security as well as Spybot and Counter Spy without success.

Please help!
Jeffericon

Compaq Presario 1510 Laptop
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40Ghz; 768Mb RAM; 30Gb Toshiba Hard Drive
Windows XP Home SP2

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External exception E06D7363 with Linksys Wireless Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External exception E06D7363 with Linksys Wireless Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Linksys knows about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2005 10:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same problem....
by bruj / July 2, 2005 6:45 PM PDT

I also have the linksys and a Compaq!
My compaq is older (1622) running Win98 SE. I can not install using the "normal" method, as I do not have IE 5.5 (required apparently to use the linksys install program. I installed the utillity and driver from the utility subdirectory off the linksys cd (I do not know how else I could install the linksys driver. Win 98 is a Clean install.

I get the "external exception e06d7363" if I start the utilty with the card not in place, then insert the card. If I start the utility with the card, I get a different error (don't have the system up right now... Reinstalling SE again...)

I need some ideas that will work under Win98! I can not configure all options in the windows driver like in XP...
Any ideas how I can D/L and Install IE 6 from a Win XP system so I can install it on my Win 98 system? XP seems not to let up D/L the whole thing, just the installer...

Thanks
bruj

Collapse -
No fix I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2005 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem....

I didn't get it to work with 98. I had to find a 98se and use the latest driver.

Bob

Collapse -
External Exception
by Buchxi / June 4, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

Hi,
I got the same problem but I couldn't find a work a round.
If you now the answer pls. let me know

hjb

Collapse -
How about Linksys knows about this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: External Exception

You may not be checking former replies.

Collapse -
Not for the squeamish
by ares71 / June 7, 2005 10:14 AM PDT

Just today I had a similar experience with a friend's Dell laptop running Win2K and the same wireless NIC. Not sure if I believe the dll versioning issue completely (although I'm sure it's a factor).

Originally started getting the error:

10093:successful wsastartup not yet performed

after which I tried the prescribed winsock fix to no avail and also started the manual steps outlined here:

http://www.mcse.ms/archive186-2005-3-1257413.html

Failed on the reinstallation of TCPIP protocol as it was not in the pick list so I tried to delete TCPIP protocol from NIC at which point the system crashed. System recovered and I reinstalled TCPIP, rebooted, at which point I got the same error you did endlessly until I stopped it in Task Manager.

I then removed the NIC, uninstalled the Linksys utility, rebooted, reinstalled Linksys utility, and everything started working.

On a whim I tried to reproduce the problem by restoring back the old registry and I got the 10093 error but once I cleared the TCPIP protocol, got crash (as expected), and reinstalled protocol, things started to work right away and I did not get stuck back in the infinite error loop.

As a result I'd guess the causes were a few things:
1. installation may have been partially faulty, dll problem or otherwise
2. TCPIP problems in registry

One thing I could not confirm was if my friend installed the program before inserting card as per Linksys's emphatic instructions. This was the reason I removed the card and did the whole uninstall/reinstall dance.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Can't unistall the Linksys software
by Merisel8 / September 3, 2005 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Not for the squeamish

I need help tyring to remove Linksys software off my XP machine, everything I tried failed.

Merisel

Collapse -
tried, didn't work.
by sdrolz / October 30, 2005 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Not for the squeamish

I get the same message: 10093: successfull wsastartup not yet performed. attemtped the winsock/winsock2 instructions, also got stuck at the re-install tcp/ip part. Uninstalled and reinstalled the linksys utility to no avail also. All I get now is a wireless adapter that endless looks for the network!!?? WPA shared key is set and entered, can't seem to locate an ip address.

Collapse -
External exception E06D7363 w/ Linksys-Jeffericon
by cabarkey / June 20, 2005 6:46 AM PDT

Jeffericon,

Did you end up resolving this issue? I just got a new router and connected the router to my modem this weekend. Everything was fine until I started up my laptop this afternoon and the continual pop-up with "external exception E06D7363" kept coming up as well as an "Odessy windows installer" which Im not sure what that is either.

Can you please help???!!!!

Collapse -
Doesn't sound like the same issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2005 7:19 AM PDT

If you don't have a linksys, then you can't use the answer.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe the same issue
by ares71 / June 25, 2005 4:16 AM PDT

I think I recall seeing that name pop up as well in the All Programs list. I believe the Linksys utility may be installing this.

Collapse -
Why would you use a Linksys utility on a non-Linksys product
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2005 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe the same issue
Collapse -
Uninstall Linksys software
by jeffericon / June 21, 2005 9:49 AM PDT

I uninstalled the Linksys utility, re-connected the adapter, let Windows detect it and install the driver (from the Linksys CD), and used Windows to totally manage the adapter instead of using the Linksys software. I had no problems since. Hope this works for you as well.

Collapse -
Thanks for Uninstall Linksys software
by jeph / June 26, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

to jeffericon,
Thanks for posting you solution. Got the same problem in my Presario 2195CA with the Linksys WPC54G-EU card. Did what you posted and now working no problems.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Uninstall Linksys sodtware
by Jeff Loomis / November 26, 2005 2:52 AM PST

I have the same problem you did. Can you email me the unistall Linksys software with directions on how you uninstalled it and them reinstalled it.
My name is Jeff Loomis and my email is jloomis3@stny.rr.com. Thank you for any help.
Jeff Loomis

Collapse -
Same Card - Can I get a copy of the uninstall utility?
by old_putter / December 23, 2005 2:31 PM PST

I have the same card and same problem. Could you send me the uninstall utility. I believe my profile is set up for you to email me from there. Thanks.

Collapse -
Email address
by old_putter / December 23, 2005 11:45 PM PST

My email address is stanstinson@earthlink.net

Collapse -
Linksys Adapter
by cbwhitty / March 15, 2006 7:20 AM PST

Dear Mr. Loomis: I seem to be having the same problem as you, constantly getting the External exception E06D7363 when I try to open my Linsys program. Linksys tells me to uninstall/install but my computer won't let me uninstall. If you were able to get the Uninstall Utility, could you possibly email it to me. This is my first time to use CNET forum, so I hope I am doing it correctly. Thanks, Mel Less, mless@fuse.net.

Collapse -
E06D7363
by jafa2000 / June 14, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Linksys Adapter

IF YOU ALL WANT TO FIX THAT PROBLEM MAIL TO ME noesmiproblema@hotmail.com

Collapse -
uninstall linksys software
by mrskwa / June 30, 2006 12:34 PM PDT

I am having the same problem as jeff loom. I am unable to uninstall the linksys software for my nic card. I understand that there is an uninstall utility that will do the trick. If any has it please can you email me a copy. my email address is troyc88@yahoo.com or troyc88@hotmail.com.. I am really desperate.
Thank You in Advance

Collapse -
uninstall software
by rgarcia49 / December 7, 2007 9:12 AM PST

i'am having trouble uninstalling the software for the wireless g router , upgraded to the 150n and it will not uninstall or install the new software for upgarde. can anyone help me with this matter.
thanks..

Collapse -
uninstall utility for linksys wireless g
by rgarcia49 / December 7, 2007 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: uninstall software

if anybody can help me out with this uninstall utility that would be great please e-mail it to me at rgarcia49@comcast.net

Collapse -
please send uninstall utility for wpc54g
by wolf00359 / December 20, 2006 4:15 PM PST

please send uninstall utility for wpc54g to wolf00359@sbcglobal.net. thank you.

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!
by awhfy1 / August 25, 2005 2:06 AM PDT

Thank you, thank you, thank you...I have been searching and searching for the resolution to this issue, and this is the one that did it. I feel pretty silly not having tried that before, but as soon as I saw your comment, I thought, 'of course', and away we went. Thanks for continuing to post your findings, even though you had solved your problem.

Collapse -
Linksys Wireless USB Adapter
by Merisel8 / September 3, 2005 6:11 AM PDT

I have a Linksys Wireless Adapter on my desktop and I keep dropping the signal. I called Linksys nd they told me to use XP for my wireless connection. They also told me to uninstall my Linksys software, but my system is not allowing me to do so, I even tried ad/remove software and still could not remove it. Anyone knopw what I shoul do?

Collapse -
My suggestion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2005 6:44 AM PDT

Since your issue is not the issue of topic, I suggest you not bury your request in someone else's discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Just a little more help
by stuart.easton / September 9, 2005 8:23 AM PDT

Thanks for all the info - I'm not quite there yet...

I've uninstalled the Linksys software, plugged in the card and installed the drivers. I can connect to the wireless router using the Windows application, but can't send / receive data. Pinging the router just times out. Any ideas?

I am running a Compaq/HP nx9005 on WinXP Pro.

Many thanks,
Stuart

Collapse -
Run WINSOCKXPFIX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2005 9:56 AM PDT

Let us know if it helps.

Bob

Collapse -
No Joy
by stuart.easton / September 12, 2005 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Run WINSOCKXPFIX.

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work. When I first start up, I can connect to the network BUT once "connected" I can't access the I'net, nor even ping my router (times out).

Oddly, if I then disconnect from the WiFi connection then try to reconnect, it won't reconnect at all.

I really am confused. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Stuart.

Collapse -
The usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2005 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: No Joy

The other issues are oversecuring the network before we have it working. Some will install firewalls, enable WEP/WPA/other, disable SSID and more before they get it working.

My lessons learned is to start with a working network, then add the security.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.