Storage forum

External Drive Gone Bad! Help Anyone?

by spicytee / March 27, 2013 1:13 PM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I'd need your kind help right now.
My LG 1TB Hard drive just got bad on me.
It kept on bringing this message The file or directory is corrupted. I was using it and I hibernate my computer and went out. I came back and it wont work again. I can see the drive on my computer which I have hitherto rename to my name. Now showing just G. And it is asking me to format it. It shows in my Disk Management as
Simple Basic RAW
931.51 GB RAW
HEALTHY (Active, Primary Partition

I will appreciate any help I can get on it. I need to get client's image on it to process as soon as I can read the drive.

Thanking you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Drive Gone Bad! Help Anyone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Drive Gone Bad! Help Anyone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Have you tried the titles at the top of this forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 2:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
I don't understand you!
by spicytee / March 28, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

I don't get what you mean. But guess you mean if I have search previous post about this same problem. I have seen various post about it. But I haven't seen anyone of them that match my own problem. I have tried to follow their processes which says to initialize disk. Mine however not giving me any options to initialize disk.

Collapse -
At the top of the forum. The welcome post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 6:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
External Drive Gone Bad! Help Anyone?
by spicytee / March 28, 2013 8:22 AM PDT

Thank you Bob.
I see you've been very helpful with people in most of the thread of read.
Keep up the good job.
Let me check those links out and revert.

All Answers

Collapse -
You need to try and clone the drive
by inou81 / March 28, 2013 3:38 AM PDT

If your information is valuable, you should probably contact a data recovery company. If not or you don't want to spend the money, give knoppix live cd a try. You would want to use a program called dd_rescue.
Make sure you have the input file and output correct or you will overwrite your information.

Collapse -
Re: You need to try and clone the drive
by spicytee / March 28, 2013 6:06 AM PDT

I really dont have much knowledge about all what you've mentioned here. But the information I provided are correct. At the moment. I dont have enough money for data recovery company. And I'm in Nigeria at the moment. Not much of them around here. I also don't have much time in retrieving this pictures.

Collapse -
by inou81 / March 28, 2013 8:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Photorec
by spicytee / March 28, 2013 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: PhotoRec

Yes I have two laptops. And I have lots of infos on the drive. Majority of which is photos. I do want the drive working so I can transfer my data. I'm yet to work on it. Still bidding my time to take next possible action.

Collapse -
want the drive working so I can transfer my data
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Photorec

Read the tutorial again. When you recover those files it writes them to some other drive.

Think about this. The drive does not need to be fully working to recover files.

Why I write this is that some folk didn't know that when we recover files we don't always fix the issue with the drive. That is, we recover the data, then may format the drive and copy the files back onto the drive.

Collapse -
The drive does not need to be fully working to recover files
by spicytee / March 29, 2013 5:24 AM PDT

Yes I do know. I read the tutorials. I think it's best I get someone who really understand this to help me. I don't want to mess it up while doing it onmy own.

Thanks everyone.

Collapse -
Then you force us back to drive savers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 5:32 AM PDT

If you can't use the tutorials such as Recuva offers then we are forced back to drive savers.

What I would write here would duplicate what's at the Recuva site.

Collapse -
What's the tutorials that Recuva offers?
by spicytee / March 29, 2013 1:53 PM PDT

I'm not sure I saw the thread on Recuver. Is this same as Photorec? And you know what. I'm just being careful. Aint a geek geeky like that. I'm just a Phtoographer.. Have got plenty data in that folder that I can't afford to mess up further. I will try and see if I can find a local guy here who can work on it. Cos I cant do drive saver from here and no time for me. Cos I need the images urgently.

Collapse -
It's the same idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 2:52 AM PDT

Even without a tutorial you use -> Recuva <- to scan for the files but save those files on a good drive.

Be careful of the spelling since bad people will rename some malware to suck folk into installing something bad.

I see the save location in the tab/area noted in the documentation at

Collapse -
Puppy Linux
by Tbyrd66 / March 29, 2013 10:03 PM PDT

Good morning,
I had two go bad last year. Fortunately a friend let me borrow a copy of the puppy Linux operating system on cd for the second one. You start the computer with cd in drive and external drive attached. If you have ever used dos, it works like that. I am better at showing than telling. Linux recognized the drive and I was able to copy everything to a new drive. It literally took 22 or more hours to copy but worth it. Google Puppy Linux and see what you find. Good luck and Happy Easter.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.