Samsung forum

Question

External backup of XE700T1C-A05 SSD install files

by thealiendad / January 27, 2013 6:43 AM PST

Just got the Samsung XE700T1C-A05 128gb ssd and was wondering if there is a process to backup the full installation files so I can reformat the drive to get the full drives worth, as so much of the drive holds the restore information.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External backup of XE700T1C-A05 SSD install files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External backup of XE700T1C-A05 SSD install files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:56 AM PST

On first boot I see Samsung laptops offer a choice of on board restore and a system of backup and restore of user files. So it matters which you choose but to backup the full installation files does not appear to be an option and this IS WHY I cloned my drive to a folder on an external drive before I did that first boot. Now I can restore it to the same condition as it came out of the box.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: No is correct
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 29, 2013 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

Hi thealiendad and Bob,

The back up is to back up files, not create an image of the device. So if you want to clone your drive and then reformat the SSD, you can and then setup an external drive for local back up. You can do that, but I can't recommend anything any tools to do this. Sorry.

Also, just so you know, if you ever need to send it in for service, the service center would re-image it back to factory stock and charge you for that, regardless of your warranty status. So if you want to avoid that charge, you may want to make an image of the stock.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Install files backup
by thealiendad / January 29, 2013 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: No is correct

Hi, since my first post I did find the program in the restore software to make a bootable USB drive with the factory image (as it is called) now that I have that, should I be able to repartition the drive?

Also one other question, I have now installed powerdvd 12 and so uninstalled powerdvd 10, this has caused two issues, 1. I keep. Getting informed that powerdvd 10 is not installed, and 2. I can no longer use the "one click" update as the system will reinstall powerdvd 10 with anything else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.