Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

External Antenna

by other_universe / March 3, 2012 3:11 AM PST

Can I use only one outdoor antenna (grid) for the TL-WA901ND access point (or TL-WR1043 router), leaving the other two (omni directional antenna) for indoor use? Does this result in performance issues?
These tp-link products have three antennae that utilize MIMO technology.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Antenna
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Antenna
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What stopped you from trying this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: External Antenna

Of course you can try anything you want. Then you see if you like the result.

Collapse -
traditional vs. MIMO
by other_universe / March 3, 2012 4:45 AM PST

Thanks Bob,
What are the limitations of this arrangement? Is it better to use wireless access points that have only one antenna (without MIMO)?
I'm planning to connect two buildings 800 meters apart.

Collapse -
None I can see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: traditional vs. MIMO

You are asking if you can do this. I can't tell what your abilities are so I can't answer what stopped you.

-> But at 800 meters you should know this is going to be problematic. You could try it, fail so you convince your boss to go get the real link products for the distance.

That is, many will not accept that it rarely goes over 100 meters and at 8 times this you might be in some situation they won't believe you till you try it.

Hint? I would never try this over 100 meters. I've already been done that road.

Collapse -
again MIMO
by other_universe / March 3, 2012 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: None I can see.
Collapse -
And at 800 meters, will not fix the basic problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: again MIMO

I'm guessing here you are new to wifi networking. There are some that must learn first hand. Some take advice.

My advice is to forget this and go get a 1km link system.

Collapse -
by other_universe / March 3, 2012 8:25 PM PST

I need to use external grid antenna (28 dB) to be connected to the access point on each building. I've used similar arrangement to connect two buildings 600 meters apart using cheaper equipments some 6 years ago. The connection worked smoothly for more than a year.
My project is to make the similar connection but using these tp-link products. There are equipments that don't use MIMO (i.e withe single antenna). My question to the experienced personnel is that is it better to use the equipments with native single antenna or to adopt the new parts of MIMO (using only one of their antenna for external outdoor grid)?

Collapse -
by bill012 / March 3, 2012 10:10 PM PST

Mimo is primarily used to increase the quality of a signal for a single source. What you are asking talking about is using the antenna for different signal sources. I would have to suspect the inside users would not work as well having one less antenna to choose from. There is little research on this since it is not a optimum configuration.

Your key problem will be the cable you use to connect the AP to the external antenna. You have the choice of using affordable cable and losing most of your antenna gain or buy very very expensive cable.

Lately it all doesn't matter. The solution is not to bother with the cables at all. You buy a outdoor AP that is designed to connect directly to the back of the antenna and run ethernet cable into the house. The price of the AP is coming down so fast even the "affordable" cable will be more expensive.

Search for Ubiquiti bullet2, last time I looked they were under $40.

Although you can continue with your design I suspect you will get a much better functioning system to use your mimo router for indoor use it was designed for and connect it to a system designed for external point to point. I suspect cost will be about the same as connecting external antenna to you internal AP when you consider the cost of the cables.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.