Peripherals forum

Question

external 3.5" hard drives

by GeorgeRR / January 9, 2012 3:58 AM PST

are they subject to the same vagaries as flash/thumb drives? By that I mean is it necessary to activate the "safely remove hardware" function, (after I shut off the switch) or can I just turn it off after it quits transferring data from the system?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external 3.5" hard drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external 3.5" hard drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on your aversion to risk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 4:10 AM PST

There's more risk on FAT32 drives than ones with a file system that is journaled (example? NTFS.) But this is simply your choice since some will not worry since the file is a copy and not a big deal if the drive contents vanish.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
TLC applied
by Willy / January 9, 2012 11:59 PM PST

The fact is this is all "stored media" and as it gets stuffed into whatever media you have. The way you treat it is the way it may result at a later time. It makes no difference as sooner later you'll find your answer in real life. I suggest you treat your data as you want to retrieve it at some given time. It makes sense the more TLC you apply the more likely the retrieval. You know "stuff happens" why make it easier.

Collapse -
Answer
your set up
by clamoreaux / January 18, 2012 9:10 PM PST

It depends on how your external HD is installed. When I installed one to Win 7, I had the choice of whether to make it instantly removable or not. I think the buffering or cache or something like that could either be enabled or not used.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.