TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Extending Surround Sound Speakers - Sony BDV-N790W

by schaebo / November 30, 2012 3:45 AM PST

We recently purchased a Sony Home Theater System model BDV-N790W and I would like to extend the front and rear speaker wires by 8-10' to reach the corners of my room via the existing in-wall wiring. When we bought the system the salesman said that we could just splice the wires together, but the Sony tech support does not recommend doing this as it might result in degraded sound quality. They do not say that it will harm the system itself. I have received various conflicting opinions from a variety of other sources as to whether or not this can be done without harming the system and/or speakers. My question is two-fold: First, can I splice wires into the existing speaker wires to extend them by 5-10'; and second, can I use heavier gauge speaker wire for the extensions, as the heavier wire is already in my walls?
Than ks for any help that anyone can provide.

schaebo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extending Surround Sound Speakers - Sony BDV-N790W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extending Surround Sound Speakers - Sony BDV-N790W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by schaebo

Collapse -
You will hear such from purists.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 3:57 AM PST

It's no longer funny to read when an audio purists writes to never splice wires. I ran into a few that will only accept Oxygen free cable with no splices. Go figure how the electrons knew.

Yes, Sony must tell you this but for me, I own snippers, strippers and crimpers.

Collapse -
Exactly ;)
by Pepe7 / November 30, 2012 12:53 PM PST

The audiophile purists and the tinfoil hat crowd should go share a cab or something Wink

Collapse -
snippers, strippers and crimpers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 2:39 PM PST
In reply to: Exactly ;)

After I posted I went oww as I thought about how that could mean an entirely different crowd. Blush

Collapse -
For the record, 8-10' more is no problem
by Pepe7 / November 30, 2012 12:50 PM PST

It's not even on the radar screen of difficulty Wink Go for it(!)

Who are these people that are crazy enough to assert that this would somehow harm your system/speakers(?) They need a refresher course to say the least ;).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.