iPhones, iPods, & iPads

Question

Extended Phone Reception At Home

by varuna718 / June 28, 2013 1:26 AM PDT

I live with my Wife who has an iPhone 5, I have an iPhone 4S, and our five children have a variety of smartphones. We live in a 5000 sq ft house, with two floors. Some areas of the house are dead for telephone reception. (I just installed a new Netgear R6300 router and a Belkin N300 Dual Band Extender, so WiFi is at full strength everywhere.)

Does anyone what I can do or what I can get to increase the telephone power to eliminate the dead spots in the corners of the house?

Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extended Phone Reception At Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extended Phone Reception At Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Repeater/Amp for better cellular reception/coverage indoors
by Pepe7 / June 28, 2013 4:24 AM PDT

Using a repeater provides the best (permanent) solution, although the issue is, with LTE being on the scene now, many of the current products on the market won't work since they lack the appropriate frequency bands. 850/1900 dual band repeater systems would likely not suffice if you need LTE. Verizon or ATT?

Example of one 4G/LTE solution from Wilson (repeater- amp/external antenna). Multiple levels may require a second unit on a different floor/room. You may have to contact Wilson directly to figure out which product they recommend for the additional floor/rooms. YMMV. Apprently this one works w/ T-Mobile too. Who knew.

http://wilsonrepeaterstore.com/wilson-quint-ag-pro-803470-4g-booster-system.aspx

Large home/complete building system
http://wilsonrepeaterstore.com/wilson-801280-ag-pro-75-building-repeater.aspx

They advantage of these systems is they can work with multiple cellular providers, and do not have any monthly fee, unlike the home broadband/wifi connecting solutions from Verizon & ATT.

Collapse -
(NT) +1 if I could for Wilson gear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 4:34 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Cellular is not WiFi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 1:30 AM PDT

You wrote telephone so my thought is this is not a WiFi coverage issue. To solve indoor cellular (telephone) coverage you check with your carrier if they offer a home base solution.
Bob

Collapse -
Update: Sprint AIRAVE
by varuna718 / June 28, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Cellular is not WiFi.

I am sorry but I thought I was clear. As far as WiFi, we have great service throughout the house as a result of the setup I described. As stated, the problem is with Sprint reception in the furthest corners of the house. I have found the Sprint AIRAVE, which connects to my router, which as stated, is powerful throughout the house. However, from what I have read, I can get it directly from Sprint and pay monthly fees, or buy it from a reseller and set it up myself. If anyone has any experience with the Sprint AIRAVE I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Collapse -
Hit or miss it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Update: Sprint AIRAVE
http://www.amazon.com/Sprint-Airave/dp/B0035TLZ3O seems bipolar so it either works or it doesn't. And forking over that many hundred bucks is not my idea of fun.

Sprint at my home is almost non-existent as far as coverage goes so for me it's not a good fit. It's OK just a block away and has not changed in 3+ years so they seem stressed to add/maintain what they have in this area.

If you get one, be sure it's the current version and be sure you can get a full refund and don't agree to any "contract."
Bob
Collapse -
No monthly fees with the Sprint product
by Pepe7 / June 28, 2013 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Update: Sprint AIRAVE

That's my understanding at least, vs the one's sold by Verizon & ATT. Here's their FAQ for reference otherwise-
http://now.sprint.com/airave/files/AIRAVE_Access_Point_FAQs.pdf?INTMKT=MKT:MS:20121004:AIR:MSU:EEE:FAQs25

Since the baseline coverage is a 5000 sq ft home, you can expect that to be less than perfect in real world, on the ground usage. Radio waves are radio waves. Sometimes they don't reach where we need them to ;(.

<font color="#000000">You may wish to consult their user forums (on the sprint site) and also perhaps @ howardforums.com to see if using multiple Airave devices is possible/practical. Would be cheaper than using the Wilson solution I gave you anyway.
</font>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.