Mac OS forum

Question

EXT HD Lacie spins but wont mount

by silvertone7 / March 15, 2013 4:59 PM PDT

I have a Old Lacie (FA PORSCHE DESIGN) ext hard drive which no longer mounts. I can hear it spinning. It connects to my older Mac thru firewire (old 400 port i believe it is)

Is there anything I can do to salvage whats on the drive? Ive popped it open and its a MAXTOR 160GB ATA/133 HDD 3.5 series. Is it possible the box is shot but the drive can be put into another case and if so where do you get empty cases for HDs from?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers Mike

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EXT HD Lacie spins but wont mount
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EXT HD Lacie spins but wont mount
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
that is entirely possible.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 15, 2013 11:14 PM PDT

as was pointed out in another thread, it might also be the power supply, if it is external, for the case which is causing the problem.

External cases for external hard drives can be had at Macsales, NewEgg, or places like that.

I purchased a number of them from Macsales and they are still working. Be sure to get one that has its own, external, power supply. Do not go for one of those that uses the USB bus to get its power.

There are some that do Firewire400/800/USB2.0 and eSata but to use to just recover the data on that drive, a USB one will do nicely.

P

Collapse -
update
by silvertone7 / March 16, 2013 12:34 PM PDT

seems disc utility can see the drive but cant verify/mount/or repair it so does that mean the disc is shot?

Collapse -
It's very likely that the disk is shot,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: update

and even if it wasn't, I would not trust it again.

Have you considered replacing that drive with another, given that you know how to get into it?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.