Peripherals forum

General discussion

Express Card Slot to PC Card

by savagestang / March 19, 2006 10:44 PM PST

Hi,

I recently bought a Dell Insprion Laptop and went to get the Verizon Wireless card for internet. Much to my dismay I learned that my new laptop did not come equipped with a PC Card Slot, instead it is loaded with an Express Card Slot. I am wondering if there is a PC Card reader that I can hook up to my laptop either through the Express Card slot or via a USB Port.

I really appreciate the help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Express Card Slot to PC Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Express Card Slot to PC Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem
by kevinh100 / May 16, 2006 8:52 AM PDT

I just ran into the same compatability issue...all this time later, and I'm surprised no one else has replied to you on this. I recently bought a Dell XPS laptop and went to my nearest Best Buy today for the great deal they've got running for the Verizon PC5740. In calling Verizon twice in the last 2 weeks to ask about the service, plus stopped into 2 seperate stores, no one mentioned an issue like this existed, even though I'd told them the model computer I'd bought. Every Verizon store and authorized retailer is happy to sell you the card, but no one said there might be a compatability issue. According to Dell, all of the PC Card makers are updating their cards this June...which means, if we're lucky, they'll be available for Christmas!! I'm really ticked off that no one mentioned this problem ahead of time. How could this have gone on so long without the word getting out??

Collapse -
SOLUTION (for some).
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

Type EVDO ROUTER into google.com to see how to get around this one.

But there are no known EVDO EXPRESS cards so it's time to call and ask for the laptop to be exchanged for one with a PC-Card slot. They get this all the time.

Bob

Collapse -
Express card worthless
by ccolekey / May 26, 2006 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION (for some).

I'm having the same problem, I waited several months and have searched endlessly and still not one single product has come out that works with the Express card.
So my new dell 1505 laptop can't use my 108 mbps wireless notebook adapter and is slower then my 5 year old laptop.
What a scam, Dell should have told me when I bought it.

Collapse -
One possible solution USB to PCMCIA
by adurkee / August 2, 2006 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Express card worthless

Sewell makes a USB adapter that will allow you to use a PCMCIA card on a notebook without a PC card slot. Go to www.sewelldirect.com and look for part SW-4772. It's $200+ and is backordered 4-6 weeks, but that's one solution.

Collapse -
Express Card adapter to usb cable - aircards
by monkey_to / February 14, 2008 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: SOLUTION (for some).

SierraWireless may have what you want. I use a Sierra 775 Aircard that will not run on new laptops with express card slot. I'm using grandfathered T-mobile service that is longer offered but works on older laptops with pcmcia slots.

I'm looking for a usb cable with adapter socket for pcmcia cards.

Collapse -
I can write this won't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2006 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: USB TO PC CARD

USB to PC-Card adapters are still in their infancy with very few functional configurations.

Bob

Collapse -
Have heard of this
by kevinh100 / June 6, 2006 5:51 AM PDT

Dell Computer gave me the name of a British company that Dell had previously referred its customers to for this sort of adapter, but said the company no longer produces them. I found 2 locations that still sell the adapter, but it was to the tune of $198.00! Just a little too much for the convienence. So I wait with anticipation for Verizon the launch their service's ExpressCard...

Collapse -
Express Card situation as it relates to wireless vendors
by saimohan nambiar / June 11, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Have heard of this

I too just recently purchased a new laptop (HP) and no where on the outside box packaging does it state "not compatible with type II pc cards." So, I assumed my purchase would accomodate Cingular's wireless network card. After a lot of complaining on the phone with the Cingular customer service person, I was connected with a Cingular tech person. He told me that they were starting to get complaints about the lack of compatability (new laptops don't have both types of slots to accomodate this transition.)He was very nice and helpful.

My next call was to HP to explain my situation and they told me the express card slot was the "next generation" of slots for laptops. Great, but in the meantime I must wait for the card slot makers to develop a new sized card to accomodate express sized slots?

Cingular uses a PC card manufactured by "Novatel" located in San Diego. Novatel provided the following informative update; "Novatel Wireless is at an advanced stage in the development of ExpressCards which should be on the market in 2006H2."

"In addition to getting regulatory approval, each of the service providers must approve the new cards on their networks. Please contact your service provider(s) to find out when they are going to approve and sell the new cards."

"Your question to the service providers will help them to understand the demand and help them prioritize their approval process of the ExpressCards." Excellent advise!

In the meantime, I am stuck in a technology time warp with a new laptop but no wireless connectivity! Personally, (in my case) the information provided to the consumer on the label and packaging by HP should CLEARLY state "Not compatible with Type II PC Cards."

Collapse -
Buy an Internal Card.
by cbpdingo2 / June 19, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

Most of today's new laptops hav ean internal card already installed. If it doesn't, you can buy one, the port is a standard one and there are different brands. They are really easy to install. Just got one for my Dell Inspiron B130 for $15.00 at EBAY. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Not the same thing
by kevinh100 / June 20, 2006 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Buy an Internal Card.

The problem I have been having is not with the card used to connect to a wireless network within a house, an office, or a Starbucks. You're right, that's easy to get and use. The problem is with the card used to connect without ANY wires to anything. The PCMCIA card. Here's the best example I can come up with: I'm not looking for a cordless telephone for my house, I'm looking for a cell phone so I can make and receive calls anywhere. Anyone else out there have a better way to explain this more easily?

Collapse -
What you may need to know is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Not the same thing

That some laptops are showing up with EVDO cards internal to the laptop. Such cards are likely miniPCI form but are not widely available.

The word today is we are only weeks away from express form cards appearing.

Bob

Collapse -
express cards
by joeilynnc / November 21, 2006 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: Buy an Internal Card.

having the internal card what do you do then, i have the bl120 and i need an adapter or something to get wireless on the go. any sugestions
thanks

Collapse -
Express Cards - wireless AirCards
by monkey_to / February 14, 2008 12:56 PM PST
Collapse -
verizon and express card
by srshemin / June 13, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

I note that the initial question was asked back in March. In the beginning of May I wanted to buy a new laptop using Verizon's broadband service. I decided on a Dell laptop. I called Verizon and specifically asked if their card is OK in the Dell laptop, and the sales rep assured me it was OK. And here it's 2 months after Verizon knew about the Express Card problem, and the Verizon sales rep STILL gave me the wrong information that their card would fit into my Dell. So much for Verizon customer service...

Collapse -
verizon broadband express cards
by jerlou3 / June 15, 2006 1:30 AM PDT

just as a heads up, I've been having to deal with this myself for the past month. their current time frame is ''anywhere from 1 to 2 months'' on the express cards. supposedly they had problems and are delaying them even longer. they'll supposedly have an ''update'' on the time frame tomorrow at some point.

Collapse -
verizon broadband express cards
by KEN SATTLER / June 22, 2006 8:30 PM PDT

where will the update appear...have you an address?

thanks!

Collapse -
Express Card Availability re Wirless Vendors
by saimohan nambiar / June 25, 2006 2:34 PM PDT

The following update is from a company called Novatel and they provide the wireless pc cards for Cingular. (I believe they are also Verizon's vendor as well.)

"The Merlin XU870 ExpressCard is our second external ExpressCard/34 solution for notebook platforms that either contain both PCMCIA and ExpressCard slots or only ExpressCard slots. By delivering our pre-commercial Merlin XU870 HSDPA ExpressCards for North American and European markets, ahead of schedule, we continue to demonstrate our commitment to leading the way in ExpressCard mobile broadband development," said Peter Leparulo, CEO of Novatel Wireless.

Commercial shipments of the Merlin XU870 ExpressCard are currently expected to begin in the third quarter of 2006.

Collapse -
verizon broadband express cards update
by jerlou3 / June 28, 2006 4:56 AM PDT

alright, latest "update" is that they should either be out this week (which is highly unlikely) or in the first couple weeks of July. And sorry, no address for news, I've had to go directly to a customer rep.

Collapse -
Finally available ... Kind of
by jerlou3 / July 11, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

Alright, so here's the deal. Dell has finally put an express card up for sale which is Verizon supported however you can only get it directly from Dell. Verizon has yet to start selling them. So you have to buy them from Dell

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=313-4357

then once you get it you have to call up Verizon and have them activate service for it.

Nothing's ever easy, is it?

Collapse -
Thank you for keeping us up to date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2006 5:57 AM PDT

It's appreciated.

Bob

Collapse -
Sprint is onboard
by hamidfathi / July 14, 2006 9:45 PM PDT

Sprint has been stalking the company I work for, for some time now, our sister company made the switch in Northern Florida, now we're in the process of giving the boot to Cingular/ATT, apparently our tech guys have got tester cards from sprint and they are 10x the speed of Cing/ATT, being all our laptops have PC slots the subject of Express cards was never brought up, well we just got a new shipment of laptops and we brought it up, the Rep assured us that the new cards would be out before the Fall, sorry sweetie, not fast enough, she said she has seen them, and she will try to pull a few early, they are close, but Dell should have forseen this issue.

P.S. I Spoke with Tiffany and Bruno from Dell Tech Support, whos offices just happened to be in New Delhi, they could not advise any new information

Collapse -
Hope on the horizon!
by kevinh100 / July 15, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

I hold in my hands the Training Guide issued to Verizon Wireless employees for the new V640 Wireless ExpressCard with assurances from a sales rep that the cards are shipping this week. The guide includes a compatibility list, so everyone should be able to determine if their laptops will work with the card. The associate did not know what the pricepoint will be, or if VerizonWireless will be offering any rebates with the initial release, but at least he had some knowledge of the troubles we've been lamenting about! That's more than I (and based on the responses to this forum, everyone else) have gotten from Verizon in the past!! Hopefully, there's light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming train!!!

Collapse -
Express Card & Verizon Update
by saimohan nambiar / July 16, 2006 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope on the horizon!

Can anyone recommend the best way to order this item from Verizon? It seems that the local wireless vendor shops (all providers) tend to specialize in only cell phone knowledge, sales and equipment.

It would be nice to have a single point of contact 800 number (or?) as often the local wireless shops have limited knowledge regarding the laptop wireless connection options.

Collapse -
USP to PCIMA adapter
by devincutler / July 18, 2006 6:21 AM PDT

This is kind of an expensive fix at $189.95, but it is in stock and at least available. It is a newer technology for 32 bit cards.

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=214

It appears that most newer broadband cards are supported. For the Sprint PC-5740 (the same card used also for Verizon), I am told it will work, but you will need to use a manual install for it. Basically, the connection software provided by Verizon does not see the card so they assume the same for Sprints, but there are directions for manually enabling its use with this adapter here:

http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/support/ufaq/newconnection.php

I hope this helps some folks. This has been very frustrating for us as well to have new laptops now without being able to use our existing Broadband modem cards.

Collapse -
USB to PCIMA adapter
by devincutler / July 18, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: USP to PCIMA adapter

Sorry, my post should have said USB, not USP. Just a typo!!

Collapse -
What's wrong with this picture?
by rocky_mesa / August 3, 2006 2:49 AM PDT

It is August already; I just discovered this forum - too late, I'm afraid. I too have a Dell Inspiron and recently ordered a broadband wireless card though Sprint, as my they are the provider for my mobile service. I was really excited about the possibility of being connected at home (we live in the country and there is no way I'm going back to dial-up). You would think that the online Sprint store would disclose compatibility issues, but noooo! How hard would it be to post that their cards don't fit Express Card slots? I'm so disgusted with not only Sprint, but Dell as well - why did they do this? Dell has an Express Card Modem for $179 but it only works with Verizon. Cingular compatibility is due out at the end of the year. What's up with Sprint?

Collapse -
express card now available
by baybonzon / August 9, 2006 1:21 PM PDT

Verizon on line now has this product if you order it thru the internet you can get the express card now, it wont be on their retail store till the 24th of August.

Collapse -
express pc card 54/34
by baybonzon / August 9, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

its now available thru verizon (internet has it now)
retail office should have it by the 24th of August

Collapse -
xpress card
by me1303 / August 16, 2006 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: express pc card 54/34

I hope they will be available at cingular soon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.