Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Exposing Liberal Media Hypocrisy

by James Denison / January 17, 2013 4:45 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exposing Liberal Media Hypocrisy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exposing Liberal Media Hypocrisy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd let them put that sign up
by JP Bill / January 17, 2013 5:04 AM PST
"THIS HOME IS PROUDLY GUN FREE!"

AND I'd put up another sign...A BIGGER sign

NOT SAYING THEY'RE AREN'T ANY BOBBY TRAPS
Collapse -
There NOT they're
by JP Bill / January 17, 2013 10:29 AM PST
Blush
Collapse -
I'd not any sign in my yard that
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2013 5:13 AM PST

might provoke some neurotic or overly zealous person. I'd not put a sign up that indicated anything about whether a gun was or was not in my home. I feel the same about political signs. You don't know who drives by at night, what they think or what they've been drinking.

Collapse -
Probably get someone from NRA
by JP Bill / January 17, 2013 5:16 AM PST

Pounding on your door asking what your problem is with gunowners.

Collapse -
To my knowledge, the NRA keeps a lower profile than that
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2013 6:32 AM PST

I have tried to search for pro-gun rallies by the NRA and come up empty. I find a movement called "Guns Across America" that holds or sponsors rallies but these don't seem to have NRA official backing. I see tons of schedules for anti-gun or pro gun control rallies. They tend to make the first and loudest noise when some shooting event lands in the media. I'm not an NRA member and would not think of joining but they do seem to be a more respectable organization than their tantrum throwing foes.

Collapse -
YOU don't hear the NRA because "Back Rooms" are sound proof?
by JP Bill / January 17, 2013 7:11 PM PST

AND you keep your TV set turned off?

You're "Cocooned"?

Usually when everything is going your way...you don't draw attention to yourself...ergo...no need to rally.

Collapse -
RE:I have tried to search for pro-gun rallies
by JP Bill / January 19, 2013 11:54 AM PST

I have tried to search for pro-gun rallies by the NRA and come up empty.

Perhaps you should be looking for pro-gun rallies by Guns Across America

Thousands of gun advocates gathered peacefully Saturday at state capitals around the U.S. to rally against stricter limits on firearms, with demonstrators carrying rifles and pistols in some places while those elsewhere settled for waving hand-scrawled signs or screaming themselves hoarse.

The size of crowds at each location varied — from dozens of people in South Dakota to 2,000 in New York. Large crowds also turned out in Connecticut, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Washington state. Some demonstrators in Olympia, Wash., Phoenix, Salem, Ore., and Salt Lake City came with holstered handguns or rifles on their backs. At the Kentucky Capitol in Frankfort, attendees gave a special round of applause for "the ladies that are packin'."

Collapse -
Good gracious Steven, what a paranoid world you live in !!
by Ziks511 / January 17, 2013 9:22 AM PST

And that's what has happened to political discourse which should be risk free, sanctioned as it is by the First Amendment. The trouble is that the First Amendment doesn't protect you or your family from harm, wonderful though it is.

Rob

Collapse -
The first only promises free speech, not limited by govt
by Roger NC / January 19, 2013 9:24 PM PST

it says nothing about the consequences from the rest of society or from individuals.

It says you can't be prosecuted or persecuted by the government.

It doesn't say you can't be hated for what you say by individuals.

As for anyone that is willing to do harm to you in thefirst place, the first amendment means little.

Collapse -
Really? This is about as stupid a stunt as I have seen.
by grimgraphix / January 17, 2013 6:07 AM PST

The article itself, cobbles together a bunch of disparate "facts" with no real thesis, in an effort to show how these journalists talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

It fails to take into account a number of issues, the biggest of which is alluded to by mention that a couple homes had armed guards. These journalists (and probably in some cases, just account managers, or other support personnel) have been threatened by law abiding gun owners for publishing what is already public record.

Where is mention O'Keefe going to court houses asking county governments to hide gun owner's records? For that matter, where is mention of O'Keefe openly trying to talk with these folks to begin with? Oh yeah... because HE NEVER DID.

Sorry, but O'Keefe is a one trick pony who is trying to claim his methods are "investigative reporting" rather than a school yard gimmick of entrapping people. Yeah, he caught ACORN. Why don't we see reference to him trying to entice female CNN reporters on to boats filled with sex toys? How does that speak to O'Keefe's credibility?

I'm glad so called conservatives like to point to O'Keefe as a representative of tactics that they believe in. It just shows the rest of us what the conservative amongst us are willing to actually do, to prove just how righteous and ethical they are.

Collapse -
(NT) Very true, and cogent. Rob
by Ziks511 / January 17, 2013 9:24 AM PST
Collapse -
feeling the sting?
by James Denison / January 17, 2013 2:27 PM PST

the sting of liberal hypocrisy? Yep.

Collapse -
Liberal media hypocrisy is no worse than Conservative media
by Ziks511 / January 17, 2013 9:18 AM PST

hypocrisy. It is all part of the same "greasy pole" of political advancement and advantage, particularly when it is a myth born of the attempt to gain political advantage! It was that way in the Greek polis, the Roman Empire, and probably every political construct in history. The search for advantage and supremacy is one of humanity's characteristics. We are all the children of people who won the competition to survive and prevail (see Richard Dawkins: The Selfish Gene).

The problem arises when we confuse the issue with morality. You don't like Liberals as a class of people, I don't like Conservatives as a class of people. As individuals in our private lives we treat people we like differently from the people we don't like. The comment "Some of my best friends are Conservatives" isn't contradictory for me, or probably for you regarding people you know personally who might be more liberal than you are. Otherwise both of our social circles would be more circumscribed than they are.

Get a grip and get with reality (which I would say jokingly if I were speaking to you in person and had by some quirk become friendly). As it stands, with us at loggerheads (and just what is a loggerhead?), I say, "stop being so naieve".

BTW, odds are that "loggerheads" refers to that old favourite - the head-butting contest (physically, I mean) - which has probably been a feature of the human race since before it came down out of the trees. Stevedores in New Orleans used to butt heads to see who was toughest. Irishmen, and probably every social order in creation, used to do the same thing. It's what fuelled boxing and other sports and every competition since the beginning of time.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.