Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer path keeps getting reset during typing

by nhelder5 / July 5, 2007 2:18 PM PDT

So, I like to type addresses in the address bar of Windows Explorer.

About a month or so ago, something changed that made that very difficult to do: about every 10 seconds, the path text resets to whatever the current folder is.

As an offshoot, if you happen to start typing into the address bar towards the end of that 10-second rotation, your text gets reset to the current folder. The current folder text is highlighted, and the cursor is at the end - it's the same result you see if you hit ESC while typing an address into the address bar.

This happens both at work (XP Pro in a domain) and at home (XP Pro in a workgroup).

I've done some searching in these forums and via Google, but haven't had any success finding a solution yet... if anyone has any ideas to help alleviate this problem, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Nathan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer path keeps getting reset during typing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer path keeps getting reset during typing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
...appears Hamachi refreshing was the cause of the problem
by nhelder5 / July 17, 2007 1:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's not just those with Hamachi VPN clients
by HikingStick / January 3, 2011 11:47 PM PST

I've noticed the same problem on a WinXP x64 PC. I start typing a path, and then the system resets it to the current folder. If I don't notice it, I keep on typing, but only what was entered after the most recent reset is left in the address bar.

This is a major pain in the kiester for those of us who navigate primarily via keyboard.

Collapse -
Caused by M$ Interscud Imploder and Hotair
by budwheizzah / June 6, 2011 4:41 AM PDT

This is caused by having M$ Hotmail open on IE8. Other pages than Hotmail could also cause this.

Yup... M$'s new Hotmail is a perpetually ongoing major downgrade. In fact everytime they announce updates lately, I get worried Hotmail will simply stop working altogether. It's not the level of blunder you'd normally expect from a software maker, but the way Hotmail's been doing lately suggests this could one day happen. I have never seen such bad shoddy unfinished software filled with questionable and completely convoluted developer decisions combined to form some sort of "mush".It looks like twenty donkeys are coding away and not talking to each other, each taking their own stubborn decisions, moving on with their own ideas, never ever looking back for bugs and issues they may have caused.

This is why now, it's slow, it forces your MSN Messenger nickname to change to whatever your full name is set to in Hotmail prefs (yes, even without turning on the hotmail msn-messenger-abomination) because they want to alienate us and pretend they are Google (while pretending they're also Crapple), it tries to open your MSN Messenger account by default which is outright a punch in the face and finally it makes Interscud Imploder (the one supposed to be designed to navigate this piece of crap) do absolutely abnormal and unacceptable things like refresh your Windows Explorer address bars through IE8 and make you wonder if you've outright got a virus!!!! (When you see an address bar twitch on its own, it's a prompt to be very weary!)

This is why XP is still the big market share holder until now. This is why some people still want IE7. This is why people are moving on to Crapple and Google. This is why people are buying moronic iPads (if people are buying ******** computers, it's a sign the market for the normal ones has fallen very ill). This is why Vista! was awful and Windows 7 not enough of an apology to the customer base.To resolve this issue, the solution is simple: Wake up M$! That's NOT light at the end of a tunnel. It's the oncoming train's floodlight, you morons.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.