Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer High CPU usage 2...

by darthseph / February 6, 2004 3:37 PM PST

Again, my explorer has gone nuts. It will run programs, run shortcuts to anything but folders...and the real problem is that it wont open a signal folder either by explore or open commands. I've reinstalled WINXP off the CD as update, nothing happened...I've ran the steps listed in the last forum. Nothing has worked. I'm desperate. I'm running WinXP Professional on a basically 7 month old Dell comp with 512RAM and a 2.4 GhZ Pentium in it. I'm lost at what to do. Please help me, I'm lost in this mess.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer High CPU usage 2...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer High CPU usage 2...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Explorer High CPU usage 2...
by darthseph / February 7, 2004 5:28 AM PST

No one has any fixes for me at all? Please, if you do I'm more then willing to try, except if it involves reformatting the drive. BTW, as a side note I decided to run disk defragmenter...it is the process of defraging right now. Please...if you have a suggestion let me know!

Collapse -
Reinstalling opens the door to worms and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2004 5:36 AM PST

It's very important to know that issue about Explorer tripping up over corrupt JPEG files, but that's some other discussion and you may not have read that one.

In short, when you explore a directory, Explorer can peg the CPU as it builds preview images of pictures and more. If you have a corrupt JPG, then it can even crash. Microsoft does not offer a fix for this issue so we are left to find such files and move them off to other places.

Since you reloaded the OS, you get to do the PARASITE SCANS I note at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 to see if some pest has crawled into the machine.

Best of luck finding it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Reinstalling opens the door to worms and more.
by darthseph / February 8, 2004 12:23 PM PST

Well...did it all again...and agian, found a few files I still have for Kazaa but everything else is gone. I saw the post about Spybot and XP...but that doesn't really matter to me since XP was corrupted before the scans. I'ms till without explorer...after doing a repair install and transferring one that works on another comp to this one. It's so odd...my comp wont open ANY folder at all...no matter the contents...so I'm stuck...grr, computers can be so dumb sometimes.

Collapse -
With a history of Kazaa....
by David Chan / February 8, 2004 12:49 PM PST

your OS could be damaged.

You could try all the scans listed in the link Bob gave.

To completely remove Kazaa & all it's files run KazaaBeGone:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3446

Since Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are quite interlink perhaps you can try the following possible fix and see if they work:

1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type: regsvr32 shell32.dll,
4. Click OK.
When you receive the 'DllRegisterServer in shell32.dll succeeded' message, click OK.

Don't forget to leave a space between 'regsvr32' and the .dll,
and don't forget to click OK

Failing all that a format and reinstall would be the way to go.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Reinstalling opens the door to worms and more.
by BeatUpBilly / March 14, 2004 11:43 AM PST

I reccomend slaving your HD to another pc and obtaining a copy of Partition Magic 8.0. You can delete and secure erase your hard drive. Then run your scans as reccomended in the previous posts. reinstall your HD in your current PC unformatted. Run a full format on installation (not the quick format option). After all of this you shouldn't have any problems. If you continue to have problems, I reccomend using Linux.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Reinstalling opens the door to worms and more.
by foxrox / March 14, 2004 6:23 PM PST

Anyone who is having a problem as simple as this one is not a good candidate for running Linux on their PC. I run Red Hat Linux 9.0 and Mandrake in a multi-OS booting configuration, love playing with it, but it's not a viable Windows substitute for the average PC point-and-click user. (Anyone interest in trying Linux without screwing with their Windows installation should try Knoppix at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and run it from a bootable CD.)

The best solution to this problem is a clean install of Windows (reformat and reinstall EVERYTHING). I would also
partition the drive down the middle (50% drive C, 50% for drive D). After installing, move your My Documents folder to D:\My Documents and your e-mail storage folder to the D:\ drive. Make it a habit to save all user-created files to the D:\ drive from now on and doing a clean install will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If you have only the crap-ola restore CDs (not a real Windows CD), I would recommend you buck up and go buy a regular Windows CD to install with. The CDs that came with your computer should include drivers, or you can download drivers from their web site in most cases. Some restore CDs (read that MOST) include garbage shareware and adware and tons of pure junk that makes your computer EXACTLY like it was when you bought it.

(If you actually liked all that junk and really feel your computer worked nice the way the company set it up, then go ahead and use the restore CD to fix your problems. Be aware, however, some restore CDs will not work if you format your hard drive and create a new partition.)

Don't pay full price for WindowsXP at the local store. You can get XP Pro at newegg.com or directdeals.com for under $140. (Or, if you know someone that owns a Windows CD, you can buy the license to install it on your computer for a lot less money at 9software.com. Make sure their version of Windows matches the license you buy, or the CD-Key will not work.)

I would also recommend using PowerQuest DriveImage or Symantec Ghost to make an image of your fresh installation, once you're done setting up everything to your personal tastes. You can make the drive image on the
D:\ drive or on a CD-R drive. At the first sign of trouble, you can reload the image and be ready to rock and roll in no time.

You might want to check with you computer maker, if your PC is still under warranty, to make sure you will not void the warranty by re-partitioning, reformatting and reinstalling from a REAL Windows CD. If you find the warranty is as worthless, and the tech support as crappy as most people do, you probably will not care one way or the other. (You could probably finish the reinstallation while waiting on hold two hours for the "next available support technician" to get to you.)

Collapse -
by jlcheopr / March 14, 2004 10:52 AM PST

If as you said; your PC is only 7 month old, you need to contact DELL, and give them to handle the problem. Ask them is there are any BIOS updated for your "DELL" motherboard. check the version of internet explorer you're using. And make sure you have SP1 for windows XP and for IExplorer. I used to deal with HP until graduation. Now I build my own, and resell too. Better system more reliable.

Collapse -
by midoman / March 14, 2004 11:50 AM PST

You must first restart the computer in safe mode, when you do taht try running a full sysem scan on norton or mccafee, then still in safe mode go into regystry. start, run ,regedit...back it up by going into file the export...once your in regedit goto- hkey_local_machine_software_microsoft_windows_currentversion_run in there delete any key that has the name of your worm or any variables of it
alors do all of the followin again but instead of opening run go into runonce and do the same there

Collapse -
by midoman / March 14, 2004 11:52 AM PST

I forgot to add something still in safe mode go into search and look for tftp*.* make sure search is configured to look for hidden files and delete any file that is 0 bytes

Collapse -
Re: Help for your problem
by foxrox / March 14, 2004 6:41 PM PST

Something has infected or corrupted your windows installation. If you are running a current anti-virus program with the newest available updates and virus definitinos, and that has not fixed the problem, you probably cannot repair it as fast as you can replace it.

Someone suggesting trying Linux, but my impression is that is not an option for you. Anyone who is having a problem as simple as this one is not a good candidate for running Linux on their PC. I run Red Hat Linux 9.0 and Mandrake in a multi-OS booting configuration, love playing with it, but it's not a viable Windows substitute for the average PC point-and-click user. (Anyone interest in trying Linux without screwing with their Windows installation should try Knoppix at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and run it from a bootable CD.)

Linux is like an aftermarket part for your car. Sometimes it is as good or better than the OEM (factory) part, sometimes it's not as good. It depends on you, and what you intend to do with the part. It may outperform the original, or it may not be up to the task. But, by the mere virtue that it exists, it prevents the OEM from being the only option and helps keep prices down through the benefits of free enterprise and forces of competition.

The best solution to this problem is a clean install of Windows (reformat and reinstall EVERYTHING). I would also
partition the drive down the middle (50% drive C, 50% for drive D). After installing, move your My Documents folder to D:\My Documents and your e-mail storage folder to the D:\ drive. Make it a habit to save all user-created files to the D:\ drive from now on and doing a clean install will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If you have only the crap-ola restore CDs (not a real Windows CD), I would recommend you buck up and go buy a regular Windows CD to install with. The CDs that came with your computer should include drivers, or you can download drivers from their web site in most cases. Some restore CDs (read that MOST) include garbage shareware and adware and tons of pure junk that makes your computer EXACTLY like it was when you bought it.

(If you actually liked all that junk and really feel your computer worked nice the way the company set it up, then go ahead and use the restore CD to fix your problems. Be aware, however, some restore CDs will not work if you format your hard drive and create a new partition.)

Don't pay full price for WindowsXP at the local store. You can get XP Pro at newegg.com or directdeals.com for under $140. (Or, if you know someone that owns a Windows CD, you can buy the license to install it on your computer for a lot less money at 9software.com. Make sure their version of Windows matches the license you buy, or the CD-Key will not work.)

I would also recommend using PowerQuest DriveImage or Symantec Ghost to make an image of your fresh installation, once you're done setting up everything to your personal tastes. You can make the drive image on the
D:\ drive or on a CD-R drive. At the first sign of trouble, you can reload the image and be ready to rock and roll in no time.

You might want to check with you computer maker, if your PC is still under warranty, to make sure you will not void the warranty by re-partitioning, reformatting and reinstalling from a REAL Windows CD. If you find the warranty is as worthless, and the tech support as crappy as most people do, you probably will not care one way or the other. (You could probably finish the reinstallation while waiting on hold two hours for the "next available support technician" to get to you.)

Collapse -
by Hitman_86 / March 15, 2004 4:43 AM PST

If you still have Kazaa installed you can search the registry for KMD or Kazaa and find the main program folder. There is a lot of information to be deciphered from the registry, but if you can figure out which programs Kazaa has inserted, you can hunt them down one by one and delete their entries in the Registry. There are also a few tools out there that I am not personally familiar with that allows you to see what Windows is running when it starts up. Some of these programs are pretty good, and allow you some control to delete, modify and add items. And just in case you didn't know, to open the Registry Editor, run "regedit".

Collapse -
by Hallber / March 15, 2004 5:53 AM PST

Hi,

I am not going to add my voice to various others that recommend partitioning your drive or wiping it (a big and scary step - and I am not sure that the problem has been fully explored yet). Instead I'll ask: Which spyware removal programmes did you try?

Collapse -
Re: Explorer High CPU usage 2...
by mbushnaq / December 3, 2004 7:12 AM PST

I know you got so many replies, I think they were useful to solve all other problems except the one you posted for.
It is neither a virus nor a spyware, so rest assured.
The problem is with a bug in the EXPLORER.EXE.
Any attempt to delete a corrupt .AVI file will trigger 100% CPU usage. I got this problem from a partially downloaded .AVI which I could not finish downloading so I wanted to delete it and off it went to 100% CPU usage.
Solution: do not attempt to delete, move or copy corrupt .AVI or:

If you just want to delete an undeletable avi file, do the following: Rightclick the file and select "Cut". Go to the Recycle Bin and "Paste". Now empty the Recycle Bin.

Another way to do it: Open Notepad, type something, Save As "name of the undeletable.avi", overwrite the file, delete the file.

Please let me know if it works for you:

Collapse -
Explorer High CPU usage 2...
by drjay46 / February 26, 2005 12:44 AM PST

Cheers, your solns were very helpful. I could not figure out what the hell was causing my explorer.exe to be jumping above 200mb memory usage and 51% + cpu usage. Saved over the suspected corrupt movie file and everything seems to be fine now! Thanx

Collapse -
Thank you also for your post
by boci2 / March 9, 2005 3:49 AM PST

after scanning for viruses and spyware and coming up blank I went into trojans (most virus programs can't detect them a lot, and I was convinced it was a virus because of the explorer program being 100%) then i went and looked at all kinds of ports thinking it was a hacker atempt and spyware again tracking everything that was put on my computer. I also checked whether it was a flaw with the divx codec. Finally -to my regret , i wiped out the boot partition and reinstalled windows and everything along with it. i could have ghosted it but i was uncertain how long the problem was on my computer. Thanks Again I asked everyone but no one knew the answer....except you thxs

Collapse -
Yeah thanks bro
by Hoturo no Ken / March 22, 2005 7:28 AM PST

******** my computer was driving me nuts but your extremely clever tip really did the trick. Only I wasnt able to delete the file the way you suggested so I restarted my computer in safe mode after on which I could just chuck the ******** file straight in the bin. I noticed as the computer shut down that it had to close down a program called apcc or something similar that I'd never seen running before, does that have anything to do with the bug, do you know? (Just curious)

Collapse -
Solution to the problem
by boci2 / April 13, 2005 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah thanks bro

I found this article on tweakxp.com and i thought you guys might be interested...

Well windows seem to have a REALLY big problem when it comes to reading AVI files. It seems that when you click on an AVI file in explorer, it'll try to read the entire AVI file to determine the width,height, etc. of the AVI file (this is displayed in the Properties window). Now the problem with Windows is that if you have a broken/not fully downloaded AVI file that doesnt contain this info, Windows will scan the entire AVI file trying to figure out all these properties which in the process will probably cause 100% CPU usage and heavy memory usage.

To solve this problem all you have to do is the following:

1. Open up regedit
2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Voila! Please not that this will no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But its a small price to pay for saving you resources.

NOTE: Please use caution when using regedit. Improper usage may cause windows to behave imcorrectly. Also, I cannot be held resposible. Backup your registry first.

Collapse -
Oh that is ACE!
by Hoturo no Ken / August 2, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

I had this really crummy avi file that Ijust couldn't seem to get rid of but now I followed your lead and not only was I able to throw the damn thing right in the dustbin but my stupid windows explorer seems to be running faster and smoother than ever before!! All thanjks to you man Happy

Collapse -
Another solution to the problem
by Tryxta / August 30, 2005 2:57 PM PDT

In regards to the cause of the problem, there is another valid explanation besides an incomplete .avi file. You will also experience hi-cpu usage with a 100% complete .avi file, but if Windows is not equipped with the proper codec, you may receive the same error.

If you have a codec pack installed, check to see if it's still there. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

So the obvious solution is to install/reinstall the proper codec(s).

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Super
by senun / September 20, 2005 6:02 AM PDT

It worked just fine...thx a lot. I did the cut and copy thing. The exception was that my file was a complet file. Thx again.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.