Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

explorer.exe unexpectedly shuts down randomly

by fabianhow / March 11, 2008 1:15 PM PDT

ever since i reinstalled windows, there seems to be two profiles on my computer. when i boot up the first time, the my documents page shows some attributes(eg. Owner, file size, etc) which i never chose. along with that, there are some other changes like the shutdown popup(the one which gives you the option to shut down, restart or standby) changing, no startup/shutdown sounds and Data Execution Prevention shutting down explorer.exe(i am currently typing with explorer.exe closed). Only when i restart my computer does everything become normal. Is there a way to stop this? i dont want this to happen everytime i boot up my computer? this happens to my account only. the other account seems to have none of these problems.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: explorer.exe unexpectedly shuts down randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: explorer.exe unexpectedly shuts down randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
additional info
by fabianhow / March 11, 2008 1:17 PM PDT

i am using win xp sp2 with all available updates, zonealarm antispyware and avg antivirus pro 7.5. I am also using mamutu from emsi software.

Collapse -
some more additional info
by fabianhow / March 11, 2008 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: additional info

i've just restarted my computer, but some of my personal settings(eg. Free Download Manager settings are gone, restored to default). I've run full scans of my computer and some deep scans, all reveal nothing except for some tracking cookies

Collapse -
Have you made a new account and moved over yet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 12:59 AM PDT

That's called a corrupt profile and Microsoft (and others) have yet to offer anything to repair such.

Collapse -
specify
by fabianhow / March 12, 2008 4:42 PM PDT

When i typed that the other account does not seem to have this, i made a mistake. it has the symptoms as well, only that the symptoms seem to be 'dormant' as in it is not active.

Collapse -
"ever since i reinstalled windows,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: specify
Collapse -
wonder
by fabianhow / March 14, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

i've reinstalled windows, but to my astonishment, it still remains! is there a possibility this is a bios virus?

Collapse -
Or the 10 drivers or that memory voltage setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: wonder

The problem is a lack of gritty detail so I can't see if you missed a step or if your system needs fine attention to a bios setting.
Bob

Collapse -
what details
by fabianhow / March 15, 2008 8:15 PM PDT

what details do you need? i will try my best to get them.

Collapse -
An example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 8:21 PM PDT
In reply to: what details
Collapse -
my computer
by fabianhow / March 21, 2008 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: An example.

my computer is a dell dimension 3100 bought 2 years ago. it is running a intel pentium 4 630 processor, 1GB(512MB x2) DDR2 533mhz memory, 80GB 3gbps hard disk, 128MB intel GMA 900 and a 48x CDRW writer. I used Dell PC Restore to restore my pc to factory state because windows would not load. my processor has hyperthreading activated with no problems. i did not tweak the bios except for the hyperthreading part. The drivers you mentioned are not used on my computer. can you tell me how to find the drivers i have on my computer?

Collapse -
(NT) For Dell, it's dell.com and your service tag.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2008 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: my computer
Collapse -
infected by the "exploit bug"
by milo-75 / March 30, 2008 1:39 AM PDT

i need a tool or software that will remove the exploit bug

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.