Computer Newbies

General discussion

Explorer.exe..unable to locate component

by mamabear0917 / January 19, 2007 8:28 PM PST

I have been to a bunch of forums int he last 24 hours requesting help with this topic and no one seems to reply. I used SmitRem.exe and it removed WININET.dll and it says Explorer.exe..unable to locate component...Please re-install. Well, I downloaded WININET.dll from another site and it is a zipped file. The computer that no longer has these components now has the blue screen of death. I have no longs to post because once I boot the computer in any mode I get the blue screen of death after the message that explorer.exe is missing. Do I need to use Windows Recovery Console (windows xp), can't access System Restore. Please Help!!
Thank you in advance
Mamabear

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer.exe..unable to locate component
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer.exe..unable to locate component
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Put the file into the following locations
by TONI H / January 19, 2007 10:10 PM PST

First unzip the file you downloaded (it's probably the older version but will work until you can get the correct one from windows update) to a floppy disk.

Boot up the non-working computer with the XP cd and go into the recovery console. Once there, change to the A: prompt, put in your floppy disk and then type

COPY *.* C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 and then press Enter. Now type:

COPY *.* C:/WINDOWS/SERVICEPACKFILES/I386 and then press Enter again.

Remove the floppy disk after receiving the 'one file copied' message for each one, remove the cd from the drive and reboot the computer to see if you can now reach the desktop.

Then go to the following site and download and install the following to replace that wininet file with the newest one available. KB925454

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925454/en-us

This is a cumulative patch/update for Internet Explorer.

Then go back to the update center to download and install anything else that might have been trashed that needs replacing.

TONI

Collapse -
Exeplorer.exe Help
by mamabear0917 / January 20, 2007 5:53 AM PST

Okay, I don't have a floppy disk, I have a cd-rom and one of the flash drive things. I am running Windows XP. So should I do the same thing using either a CD or the flash drive thingy? I am using a Compaq Presario Model No. SR1426NX that I purchased at Circuit City with everything installed. I am looking for a windows xp cd but can't seem to find one with the other cd's I received from them. Thank you for your help in this matter.
Mamabear

Collapse -
Try this
by TONI H / January 20, 2007 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Exeplorer.exe Help

Boot up the computer and as it's booting up tap the F8 key a couple of times...you may have to do this during the Compaq splash screen appearance is that screen hides the actual boot screen from showing so I'm sure you will have to play with the timing on that. Unless you want to go into the SETUP option that might show during that splashscreen and find the location of the splash screen option to turn off/disable the logo/display itself. If you do that, make sure you save the changes so the computer will then reboot by itself and now show you the black and white normal bootscreen.

Once you can get to the boot menu options that will be displayed after using the F8 key, choose Start with Command Prompt.

Once you have the command prompt screen, you will normally be at the C:/Windows> prompt so now type:

COPY C:/WINDOWS/SERVICEPACKFILES/I386/WININET.DLL C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32

and press Enter.

Make sure you leave a space after .dll and before the next C: that you type

You should get a response "one file copied"

At that point, you can type Exit and it should reboot the computer to the desktop finally if that's the only file that is stopping it from happening.

This file normally wouldn't stop you from booting to the desktop in the first place except some program is trying to get ready to connect to the internet (your ISP if dsl or cable, antivirus, windows itself searching the net to get updates, etc) as soon as you can get to the desktop.

By using the ServicePackFiles folder, you will be getting the version that was installed with ServicePack2. It might not be the newest one that came with KB925454 as an update, so you might still have to go to the link I gave you before to get that installed again. But you should be able to get on the net with this one and get the computer to boot up.

As for the disks...if you can find the one that states "Restore" or "Recovery" disk from your stack of cd's from the vendor, that is the disk that has the XP installation files on it. The vendors rarely give you individual XP installation disks anymore, and some vendors actually use a part of your harddrive as a partition to hold those files so wiping your harddrive without a Restore or Recovery disk leaves you with nothing to use at all. Make sure you have what you need before EVER wiping your drive (formatting it or trying to change the partitioning on it).

If you don't have any disks that indicate Restore or Recovery, get in touch with Compaq directly and see if you can get a replacement set of cd's from them or have them tell you how to burn your own cd from the partition they might have used so you will always have it. You will have to pay a charge for the cd's to come from Compaq but that small charge is better than not having anything at all.

Also, I might suggest that you invest ten bucks and buy a floppy drive. They are simple to install and connect to the motherboard (get the floppy cable as well)and can save your butt in a pinch. I cannot for the life of me understand the logic behind some vendors doing completely away with them. They may not be used as frequently anymore, but they are a small, cheap, and valuable tool even today, and I don't build a computer for anybody, including myself, without putting one in.

TONI

Collapse -
P.S.
by mamabear0917 / January 20, 2007 6:45 AM PST

I did not get a windows xp cd, just called the company, it was installed before I took the computer home. For $60.00 they are willing to send someone out or walk me through the steps...I'm hoping this will be cheaper. LOL. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.