Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Explorer.exe keeps crashing!!

by kellyfelly09 / January 8, 2010 7:04 AM PST

Hi, Ever since this morning my explorer.exe keeps crashing, i get the box popping up saying:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: Windows Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft corporation

"close message"
Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats.

I scanned my pc with Cloud antivirus and its clean.

Please help me.

Thank You in advance

Kellyfelly

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Explorer.exe keeps crashing!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Explorer.exe keeps crashing!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot
by kellyfelly09 / January 8, 2010 7:09 AM PST

I forgot to say, after the message my taskbar and start menu disappear so i hit control alt del and i can see explorer.exe in the process list so i end that and go to run and type explorer.exe and that fixes the problem, but no more than 2 minutes later the same thing happens again.
I am running windows xp sp3 and this problem just happened randomly.

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / January 8, 2010 7:14 AM PST

Well, you scanned for viruses, but what about malware? They're two completely different classes of threat, and virus scanners rarely are effective at picking up malware.

Collapse -
Yes explorer is known to do that. Here's one of many reasons
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2010 8:13 AM PST

Put a corrupt (to microsoft) JPG or AVI in a directory then explorer that. Crash. Even more fun. Put that on the desktop and the user will lose time trying to recover.

After seeing this issue since Windows 3.1 (which came out when?) one could ask why this still happens.

-> So how to use this info? Don't have any picture or video file on the destkop. Don't use a background picture as you explore other issues like malware.
Bob

Collapse -
?????
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 9:04 PM PST

Sorry bob i really dnont understand what you just said to me there. the problem has now got worse and its popping up every 5 mins.

Collapse -
I understand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: ?????

The issue at its heart is too simple. MSFT's explorer crashes on some files as it tries to build a thumbnail or image.

You may have installed NERO and its indexer also causes this but since you didn't mention that I have to write about Explorer's issue.
Bob

Collapse -
hey bob
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: I understand.

i typed out the problem in full, i will now post it here:

Hi, A few days ago my PC started crashing, the problem I'm getting is I get a box
popping up saying:
Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: Windows Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft corporation

"close message"
Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security
threats.

If I click 'close message' then my start button and taskbar and desktop icons disappear,
but if I open task manager and go to processes explorer.exe is still running, if
I end that process and go to file/new task(run) and type explorer.exe 2 things can
happen, sometimes explorer starts back up and all is fine, but sometimes a window
will open with my desktop items (i think) but my taskbar/start button/desktop item
don't appear and if that happens I need to restart my PC, I tried ending and restarting
the explorer.exe but it just keeps opening the new window. If I restart explore.exe
successfully a few minutes later I get the same problem all again. If the 'Data Execution
Prevention' box pops up and I just ignore it i.e. drag it to the bottom of the screen
without closing it then the PC continues working fine but I keep getting more and
more of the boxes popping up but if I just keep dragging them to the bottom of the
screen the PC is ok, but eventually it will get bogged down and run slow. Also sometimes
when i click 'close message' on the Data Execution Prevention box I get a drwatson
message and my PC just freezes, but if I end the drwatson message my PC un-freezes.
I think I have narrowed the problem down, The 'Data Execution Prevention' box only
pops up when I'm doing things in a window, like I have a folder with my films in
it and if I'm working in that folder renaming my films the error will appear, I don't
get the box popping up when I'm using my browser (Google Chrome) or if I'm working
in Utorrent etc. I did get a few errors when I tried to sign into windows live messenger
and windows live mail but I only got they errors once.

I scanned my pc with Cloud antivirus and it was clean, I then scanned with Malwarebyte's
Anti-Malware and it found a few threats, the main one being 'memman.vxd', so I let
Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware deal with it and I restarted my PC but i keep getting
that box popping up, I scanned it again with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware but this
time its came up clean. Overall I would say my systems performance has deteriorated.

Collapse -
I forgot to say
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: hey bob

I did install nero a few weeks ago but I uninstalled it about 2 weeks ago and this problem only started 3 or 4 days ago.

Collapse -
Let's see if NERO is really gone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: I forgot to say
Collapse -
Which is exactly what Explorer does when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: hey bob

It or that Nero Indexer or similar software does as it tries to make a thumbnail or decode an image, video or other files.

Yes it could be malware but the story so far sounds like the usual which we all wish MSFT would have addressed years ago.

-> I think you may be asking what next. What I am sharing is a cause that is known by many but not all. How to fix varies with the machine as we find no two alike.

For example it could be as simple as uninstalling Nero or other software but you must know your machine or tell more that your last post which is too much like writing "it's broken." Rewriting a longer "it's broken" doesn't add much so you may have to tell if NERO, or such is installed. No. Not many get this the first time around. Some give up and format the machine.

Hope that helped you understand it.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:16 PM PST

I dont't have nero installed, but If memory serves me correctly I think I may have installed a program called Cucusoft MPEG MOV RM DivX AVI to DVD Converter' not long before I started having problems, could this be related?

Collapse -
Hijackthis Report
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: ok

Heres the hijackthis report bob:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 14:20:00, on 10.01.2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\eBoostr\EBstrSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSANHost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [_nltide_3] rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,C,,4,N (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: eBoostr Control Panel.lnk = C:\Program Files\eBoostr\eBoostrCP.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {40F576AD-8680-4F9E-9490-99D069CD665F} - http://srtest-cdn.systemrequirementslab.com.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/sysreqlabdetect.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1259194617828
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: eBoostr Service (EBOOSTRSVC) - eBoostr.com - C:\Program Files\eBoostr\EBstrSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: NanoServiceMain - Panda Security, S.L. - C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSANHost.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 5778 bytes

Collapse -
I see AHEAD still listed. AND TORRENT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Hijackthis Report

While it says FILE MISSING it's an entry that can be safely removed.

But the BIG FINDS are WMPNSCFG and your recent install of CUCOSOFT. Given how CODECS work and crash too often this is the combo I'd look at.

WMPNSCFG is noted at http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=121910

As a TEST stop WMPNSFCG in task manager and see if that stops the issue. If it does we are looking at the same old issue.

Same goes for TORRENTS. Stop that until the machine is stable.
Bob

Collapse -
YES. HERE'S WHY.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: ok

That software also installs CODECs which are another source of trouble like this. HERE"S WHY.

Let's say this machine has INDEXING TURNED ON. Most do. Till now that worked and when XP indexed a file or rendered a thumbnail, CODECs were being called to do that render. Installing Nero, Cucu, or other software changes the set of CODECs and you can see failures like this. While I feel the ultimate fix should have been made a priority in Redmond, WA they seem to feel it's not caused by them so they don't have to fix that.

Time to uninstall this last thing.

Also, look up CODEC SNIPER to uninstall the newest CODEC.
Bob

Collapse -
ok Bob
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: YES. HERE'S WHY.

So we found the problem, how do I fix it?

Collapse -
Either make choices or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: ok Bob

Reinstall the OS.

I see above you have choices to make.

Collapse -
I use wmpnetwk.exe
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: ok Bob

I need to keep wmpnetwk running because I stream movies to my xbox 360, I don't know if I need wmpnscfg for that.

Collapse -
Yeah bob
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: I use wmpnetwk.exe

I'm not quite getting you here, I know I have choices to make, but I don't know what my choices are. Can I fix this problem without reinstalling the OS?

Collapse -
CCleaner
by kellyfelly09 / January 9, 2010 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah bob

Will running ccleaner help?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah bob

But as you must keep that running your os will keep crashing. If you are unwilling to stop that as a test then I have to wish you well and unsubscribe from this discussion.

At least we gave it a try and all the clues, ideas are here for someone to go over.

Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
wmpnetwrk
by kellyfelly09 / January 10, 2010 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I have been streaming films to my xbox for months so I know that wmpnetwrk isn't the problem, but I ended the process anyway just to confirm and I was right, I'm still getting the error. It must be cucusoft or whatever it was. how do I delete the reg entries created by this program? Will using ccleaner help?

Collapse -
Again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

The clues are now here. I read you have been streaming for months but when we have issues like this we turn off the suspects and see if that helps. And why it matters is that anything that touches audio, video and more that involves a codec is suspect.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough which is my fault.

Again, good luck,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.