Headphones & Mp3 Players

Question

Experts in audio conversion - Faxworks .vmf files

by PiersonRon / December 20, 2011 5:15 AM PST

I have backed-up files from the pre-installed Faxworks program from Gateway 2000. This is a program that was used as a voice mail (answering machine)/fax machine. I have recordings from that program of a deceased family member that I want to convert to play on any CD player. The current file extension is vmf and also has a sister file with a ctl extension. Since it is a simple voice recording it doesn't seem like it should that difficult to convert to MP3 or a WAV file (or anything playable in a CD player). Looking for expert advice or for a copy of the Faxworks program and the patches that came with Gateway computers (Windows 95).

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Experts in audio conversion - Faxworks .vmf files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Experts in audio conversion - Faxworks .vmf files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Might be none required.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2011 5:38 AM PST
Collapse -
VMF files
by PiersonRon / December 20, 2011 12:03 PM PST

Thanks for your reply but I'm coming up empty trying to find the internet wave player download. This seems like it should very simple but it's becoming very frustrating. It's the only voice-recorded memory we have of my father-in-law and I'm trying to pass this recording onto surviving family members for Christmas. Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome. If you're interested I could send some sample files via email and I would be willing to pay for positive results.

Collapse -
I can't tell if you used my suggestions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2011 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: VMF files

I offered 2 ideas and then you write you went looking for the internet wave player.

Sorry but I would have tried my 2 ideas first.
Bob

Collapse -
VMF files
by PiersonRon / December 21, 2011 2:59 AM PST

I'm sorry, I failed to mention that I did try to change the file extension to .wav and I tried to open it with multiple players including VLC to no avail.

Collapse -
Then the final option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: VMF files

Setup some machine that ran such software, even if you must resurrect some old PC and even if it requires more learning such as running Windows 3.1 in a Virtual Box (see Virtual Box on google.com)

There are some thousand file formats that we can no longer access any other way.

Well, I bet we could get some programmer to code up an application but that's more expensive.

Sorry that the usual did not work.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.