Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Exchange 2010

by gmak2012 / April 26, 2012 2:39 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a question about Exchange 2010 global address book. We have issues with Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010, by some weird reason global address book doesn't get update on Outlook 2010 (but works fine on Outlook 2003 & 2007 as well as web access). We tried deleting the local address book and let the server push out the updated version, but after local machine reboot the global address book reverted back to the older version. We did sp2 upgrade for Exchange, that didn't help.

Help, please!

Thanks,
George

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Exchange 2010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Exchange 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Call that in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Exchange 2010

If you've been doing Microsoft servers for long you know that Microsoft has patches and hotfixes that you only get by calling in and complaining about an issue. I don't see this GAB issue on the old setup so it's likely to be somethign they know about.

Then again we are running afoul of security suites that do the dumbest things in the name of privacy protection. It's like that firewall issue not long ago where the use chooses MAXIMUM SECURITY then asks why the internet does not work.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Call that in.
by gmak2012 / April 26, 2012 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Call that in.

SP2 was suppose to be the fix, at least according to the MS website. I did have all my security related software disabled, so that wasn't it either.

George

Collapse -
Guess I should repeat myself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Call that in.

There are patches and hotfixes that you only gain access to by calling in and then only if the engineer (?) on the other side thinks it will help.

Which sort of leads us to a problem I encounter more today than years ago. I'm encountering folk that think this stuff is without bugs. Sorry, nothing farther from the truth.
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Call that in.
Collapse -
Re: PS
by gmak2012 / April 26, 2012 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: PS.

Yeah, the Microsoft Exchange File Distribution Service is running and starting automatically, I restarted it as well didn't do much. Removing the address book and updating it from the server did it once and then reverted back to the old list.

Thanks,
George

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear (again)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: PS

I did not look into the usual issues. I wanted to share that I am still encountering patches and hotfixes that you only gain access to by calling it in.

Then again we have those security suites that continue to work when they are disabled. Why I note this is that some IT staffers think that disabled works!
Bob

Collapse -
Error Message
by gmak2012 / April 26, 2012 4:16 AM PDT

Here is what I got from logs (two errors this morning):

OABGen encountered error 80004005 (internal ID 50101f1) accessing the public folder database while generating the offline address list for address list '/'. - \Default Offline Address List

OABGen encountered error 80004005 while cleaning the offline address list public folders under /o=Deibel Labs/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address List. Please make sure the public folder database is mounted and replicas exist of the offline address list folders. No offline address lists have been generated. Please check the event log for more information.

Collapse -
Nice find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Message

The 80004005 error is widely discussed. It's a permissions code so let's see if you will tackle that.

I can't offer a fix because I do not administrate your system. This is one for the IT person. If they can't deal with permissions, you send them back to school and call it in for help on permissions.

Good find.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Nice Find
by gmak2012 / April 26, 2012 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice find.

Well, I went under assumption that Outlook 2007 was okay, but it's not. So here is the deal, the GAL is being updated on the server, but not being pushed out to the clients, it works via Citrix however.

Collapse -
And that's all good to know
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Nice Find

But you found it is a permissions thing so now have your IT staff adjust permissions where need be. Again, I do not administrate this machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: And that's all good to know
by gmak2012 / April 27, 2012 1:18 AM PDT

Yeap, all permissions are set properly.

Collapse -
If so, back to Microsoft.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 2:46 PM PDT

The code is one of the well known ones but as I noted, I don't admin your business so I can't guess if it's off or what it should be. The code tells me it's wrong.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.