Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Excel not copying formulas

by bruceva1 / February 12, 2009 6:26 AM PST

I had a problem today with Excel 2003(Win XP)not copying formulas. When I copied and pasted, I would get the results of the formula as it/they existed in the original cell(s) rather than the formula(s). I reloaded Excel at one point and that seemed to clear things up, but when I loaded a second workbook it repeated the non-copying behavior for the second....when I closed out of the second workbook, it behaved properly with the first workbook???

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? The Excel program has been on the computer for a long time..perhaps it's corrupted in some fashion?

Thanks, Bruce

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel not copying formulas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel not copying formulas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strange. Nveer seen it.
by Kees Bakker / February 12, 2009 4:00 PM PST

So just a few questions.

- You just do ctrl-c on the old cell and ctrl-v on the new cell?
- Does it work correctly in all NEW workbooks and incorrectly in (some) OLD ones? Or isn't it as simple as that?
- If you try Edit>Paste Special and choose 'formulas' or 'all', does it work?

Collapse -
by bruceva1 / February 13, 2009 10:19 PM PST

...just plain old cut and paste. The workbooks were old...likely created under an older version of Excel. I've just finished a fairly large new workbook with no problems. I'll try the paste special/formulas/all next time it acts up. The sheets are related to income tax so there will be plenty of opportunity for the problem to reoccur in the next few weeks.

Collapse -
I'm having the same issue in Excel -- just started happening
by jpisano67 / April 22, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

Did you figure out the solution to your Excel problem with cutting and pasting? I have Excel 2003 and no matter what I do, if I hit Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V (or Cut and Paste from the menu), it always pastes the VALUE and not the formula.

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by mike422a / April 26, 2012 3:39 PM PDT

In one spreadsheet, I do a copy (^C) of one cell containing a formula, and go to another cell, and do a paste (^V) and it copies the result of the formula calculation in the first cell, not the formula, which is the normal behavior. It's driving me nuts.

It's a big spreadsheet with a lot of forulas and a lot of sheets, so it would be very time-consuming to try to re-create it, to see if that solves the problem.

What's going on? HELP!

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by jpisano67 / April 26, 2012 11:06 PM PDT

After some additional research into this, apparently this will happen if you have Firefox (perhaps with the Skype plugin installed) running at the same time that you have Excel running. If you close Firefox, you will see that the cut and paste functionality works as it should!

Joe P.

Collapse -
Excel problem still persists!
by mike422a / April 27, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved!

Thanks. Interesting theory. I was excited for a minute. I do have Firefox, and I believe it has the Skype plugin. But it's not running right now, and I tried the Excel spreadsheet again. But, same thing!

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Excel Problem
by phorack / April 30, 2012 12:24 AM PDT

I am having the same issue! I cannot cut and paste formulas or copy worksheets as I did in the past. I do not have Firefox, but do have Skype. Thoughts??

Pam H.

Collapse -
Excel Copy & Paste not working for me either!
by jocatley / June 6, 2012 12:44 PM PDT

Hi Mike,

Have you resolved this issue yet?? I'm having the same problem.... I'm not using Firefox - I use Google Chrome, (have recently changed from Internet Explorer to that). I also have Skype so maybe have that Skype Plug-in problem but have no idea how to find out...!!!

I use spreadsheets on a daily basis with formulas and I have been finding that instead of copying and pasting a formula, I have to type it in every cell because the copy and paste only pastes the value as a constant. When I do a copy and paste special, I get a weird screen that asks about the Source, and I can select Unicode text or text!!

If you have a solution, please let me know as this is driving me nuts too!! Happy

Collapse -
by jocatley / June 6, 2012 2:36 PM PDT

This issue has been sorted now! It was being caused by Skype click to call, for some weird reason. So I just un-installed the programme and started up Excel again and it was all back to normal! Yay!

Collapse -
Gmail Voicemail
by asowards / January 2, 2013 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: SORTED!!!

I installed Gmail's voice mail, and this happened to me as well. Drove me nuts because some force of evil wasn't letting me uninstall the Gmail voicemail. I finally had to view hidden files, and "View Protected Operating System Files" with a lot of DON'T DO THAT WARNINGS, but that was the only was to delete the file.

At least I hope it worked. The situation was solved on Monday, but I haven't been in Excel today.

Anyway - it was a ridiculous waste of time, even though it apparently solved the problem in the end.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.