Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Excel fill and font color disappearing act

by Josherid / November 10, 2004 10:04 AM PST

I formatted a spreadsheet with fill colors and font colors in various places. I then entered my data. I saved and closed. The next day when I opened the spreadsheet it appeared to have no fill color or text color. I thought I had possibly not saved so I clicked on a cell to reformat it and found that it had the appearance of a cell with formatting. I then went to print preview and sure enough the colors were all in their proper places. It even printed out correctly. After closing print preview I attempted to change the color of the fill. It seems to be locked somehow. I can change data but not the format. I even tried to copy the sheet to a new sheet but it simply copied it with the same appearance of no colors. I haven't a clue what's going on here. Has anyone had this happen? What is the fix... other than rebuilding that sheet from scratch.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel fill and font color disappearing act
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel fill and font color disappearing act
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
excel fill & fonts disappearing
by eli028 / January 2, 2005 7:55 PM PST

I have this exact same problem. I recently had computer screen problems and assumed it was related, but seems not. I am also having trouble controlling font sizes in Internet Explorer, and colours in Windows Media Player. I am running an early version of XP. Excel is 2002. Any advice much appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: Excel fill and font color disappearing act
by lynnnow / January 3, 2005 4:03 AM PST

Hi,

The problem might be in the format of the spreadsheet that you are saving it as. Check the File Type option in the Save As dialog box and check to see if it is Microsoft Excel Worksheet or something else. If it anything else, change it Microsoft Excel Worksheet and save the file again.

HTH

Lynnnow

Collapse -
Solution to Excel fill and font color disappearing act
by JohnMcG / February 19, 2005 10:47 PM PST

I was surprised that someone else in the world had the same problem as I did. Please see the Microsoft link below for the solution:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320531
In words, the Use High Contrast box had been checked with hopes to help my aging eyes Wink Microsoft gives the following solution:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options.
2. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box.
3. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box.
I have correct color and fill now, yippeee. Thank you for sharing your problem initially, thought I was going insane.
John

Collapse -
Excel text color reverting
by marif2 / February 2, 2010 1:25 AM PST

THANKS. This post helpd me a lot, to resolve my excel color text disappearing issue.

Collapse -
Fill color in Excel Not functional
by rvn320 / February 2, 2013 5:57 PM PST

Solution to Excel fill and font color disappearing act

by JohnMcG - 2/20/05 6:47 AM

In Reply to: Excel fill and font color disappearing act by Josherid

I was surprised that someone else in the world had the same problem as I did. Please see the Microsoft link below for the solution:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320531
In words, the Use High Contrast box had been checked with hopes to help my aging eyes wink Microsoft gives the following solution:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options.
2. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box.
3. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box.
I have correct color and fill now, yippeee. Thank you for sharing your problem initially, thought I was going insane.
John
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr.by JohnMcG - 2/20/05 6:47 AM

Your solution worked after I unclicked the High Contrast Check box,under Accessibility options.Thank god for your optimal & easy solution.

R.Vishwanathan
3rd Feb 2013

Collapse -
Fix for disappearing Excel Fill color - WINDOWS 7
by brbhan11 / July 7, 2014 3:50 PM PDT

Do thus:

1. Go to: Ease of Access Center (for accessibility options) Note 1
2. LEFT Alt/Shift/Prt Screen
3. Click on 'Choose a High Contrast Theme' (line no. 4)
4. Click on Windows 7
5. Scroll down to 'Windows Classic"
6. Click on APPLY/OK and exit/close/X Ease of Access Center

Note 1: Click START; in bottom, blank box type in .... Ease of Access Center

Even Boeing 777s are known to disappear for no reason Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.