Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Excel 2011 page size issue

by billybob / October 29, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

Upgraded to Office 2011 from 2008, when I open existing spreadsheet on MacBook the bottom of the page extends below the dock so I cannot access resize corner. I can maximize to get access to resize but am looking for fix so that when a sheet is opened the page does not fall below dock. Even happens on new default spreadsheet.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Excel 2011 page size issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Excel 2011 page size issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same page size issue
by Aragain / November 18, 2010 10:07 AM PST

I am having the same problem with page size ... did you find a solution?

Collapse -
try this.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 18, 2010 10:29 PM PST

Create a blank spreadsheet of the size that fits your screen.
Save it as a template. Call it default and save it to the Template folder.
You should find a Word template in that folder too.
Next time you launch Excel, it will use the, newly created, template file.

Collapse -
This didn't work for me
by breinlbob / August 14, 2011 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: try this.

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I did it by going to System Preferences ... Displays ... changed 1200 x 800 to 1152 x 720. The Excel page bottom corner page resizer showed up automatically. Resize page smaller then reset to 1200 x 800 and save the file.

Collapse -
Re: try this
by bellawongarah / September 23, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: try this.

The problem lies not with the new spreadsheets you create but with ones you open from others.

Collapse -
Easiest work-around - maximise
by bellawongarah / September 23, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

Even though it's unwieldy (since is anything from Microsoft anything else?), I resize the window using the green maximise button.

Collapse -
Could that be a solution?
by macnerd10 / September 26, 2011 12:25 PM PDT

If you open an Excel (Word) file and hover the cursor over the edge of the document/worksheet, an arrow appears that allows you to reduce the size of a particular margin of the open document. One can thus make the document smaller until the sizing corner appears and then adjust the size to one's liking.

Collapse -
easy fix
by regitr / December 14, 2014 12:40 AM PST

Thanks for your help. I Had the same problem. I went to the left top corner of the window and when the arrow appeared I dragged the arrow down and the page got smaller. Then SAVE the file.

Cnet GREAT resource to share problems and solutions!!!

Collapse -
Easy solution
by WiscBison / April 7, 2013 1:26 AM PDT

Hover over the top of the page so that the re-sizing arrow appears. Grab the top edge of the spreadsheet and drag the edge down. Then grab the top of the sheet and pull the whole sheet up. Repeat as needed until the bottom of the sheet appears.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.