Speakeasy forum

Question

Evidently there is no deal

by TONI H / December 30, 2012 5:08 AM PST

So my question is this......where does BO get the funds now to pay for all those Defense contractors that he told NOT to send out layout notices that were supposed to go out 60 days ago BY LAW when he said HE would pay for all those coming up lawsuits by employees that will sue for not being given time to prepare for those layoffs? Will he be taking the money from all those new taxes or will he borrow it or will the Fed Reserve just print it for him?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Evidently there is no deal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Evidently there is no deal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
This is your biggest concern ?
by grimgraphix / December 30, 2012 5:17 AM PST

Defense contractors are your biggest concern?

Collapse -
Well,BO just broke the law
by TONI H / December 31, 2012 9:34 AM PST

regarding those contractors when he told them they could and that 'he' would cover their legal expenses. Does that counting towards removal of office?

Collapse -
(NT) you really want to put Biden in?
by Roger NC / December 31, 2012 9:49 AM PST
Collapse -
He is at least
by TONI H / December 31, 2012 7:27 PM PST

able to compromise, isn't prone to deliberately divide and accuse for his own ego, and isn't inflexible.

Collapse -
as VP he does, its often the VP job
by Roger NC / December 31, 2012 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: He is at least

under orders to do what the Pres doesn't want to publically do, be it an attack or a compromise.

Let's the President appear to be resolute, while agreeing through his proxy.

Let's the President appear reasonable and calm, while attacking and belittleing through his proxy.

Age old tactic of both sides.

Biden I'm not sure what he'd do if President, but I suspect it wouldn't please Obama's critics very much.

I've had more trouble with the VP candidates on both sides the last few elections than the Presidential candidate. They're picked for pure political and financial suppport, not for who in the party would be a good President.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
RE: given time to prepare for those layoffs?
by JP Bill / December 30, 2012 5:24 AM PST

Has anyone been laidoff?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
of course there's no deal, neither want one
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 8:03 AM PST

They are pompous asses who want to be self-righteously indigent about the other's intransiance. Each side is counting on their spin to get the public to blame the other.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is either side really serious or just
by Steven Haninger / December 30, 2012 6:49 AM PST

playing us voters like a fiddle? And where did the term "fiscal cliff" come from?...someone in the media? I'm thinking this is more political and media hype than real calamity. The calamity is who we stupid voters have put into office. That's what is scariest to me. Shocked

Collapse -
(NT) I really wish we had a "vote of no confidence"
by grimgraphix / December 30, 2012 7:17 AM PST
Collapse -
wish in one hand and sh*t in the other
by itsdigger / December 30, 2012 8:22 AM PST

see which hand fills first ! The deal is this, ...It's all smoke and mirrors, weather any of you want to admit it or not! This is a lame duck session and they don't give a rats *** whats goin' on. Boo on all of this jargon about the Dems and Repubs,not getting a grip in the cliff, let the new people handle it, ..And They All Fall Down .... (remember Little Sally Saucer?)...Digger

Collapse -
re lame duck, basically irrelavent
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 9:32 AM PST

since the balence of power won't change that much after the new Congress is sworn in.

I'll agree they don't care what happens to the general population.

Collapse -
i think going over the "cliff" was agreed upon by both sides
by grimgraphix / December 30, 2012 10:05 AM PST

... back in the past summer. Neither wants to take responsibility for a decision that had to be made. They set up a scenario where they can cut political hay by saying it was the other guys' fault.

Collapse -
the financial cliff was suppose to be so horrific
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 10:28 AM PST

that both sides would make enough effort to avoid it.

Neither side will even own up to their own lies to the public.

Collapse -
I suspect the cliff will be more like a drop off the curb
by Steven Haninger / December 30, 2012 6:07 PM PST

The stock market will flinch like it always does but people will go back to work as usual. Some deal will be hammered out that neither side will claim ownership of. In the coming years, these same people will come back seeking reelection and extolling the virtues of their efforts to "fight" for us on Capitol Hill...and to fight is the only promise kept. Happy

Collapse -
Just one more thing to be PO'd about
by TONI H / December 30, 2012 8:33 PM PST

Both Houses of Congress just voted themselves a $900 raise.......they already make $174,000 a year or more.....so they had to give themselves a raise for doing nothing. Oh, goodie........

Collapse -
And they don't need to worry about Obamacare
by Steven Haninger / December 30, 2012 9:25 PM PST

No wonder they want to be private citizens. Wink

Collapse -
They had time to do that before
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 9:57 PM PST

dumping the rest of all that cliff.

Goes to prove that all of them are ********

Collapse -
and that is something the 99% not in Congress will
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 10:48 PM PST

agree is selfishness personified.

Collapse -
Even if you want to cut back "entitlements"
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 10:46 PM PST

don't forget how many thousands are going to lose unemployment checks when they don't make a new deal.

Most people on unemployment do not fit the stereotype of living on the dole that critics of government support like to parade out since they had to have a full time job to lose to get unemployment.

Without the federal backing with a new deal, perhaps as many as half the unemployment checks will stop.

Gonna be a lot of people with no income but what they can beg. Is that the way to handle our federal debt? Forget about buying a gun before they're outlawed, maybe we should think about one before people are forced to steal bread. Of course, you have to be willing to kill someone for a gun to do you any good.

Collapse -
I'm guessing this is an errant reply to someone else but
by Steven Haninger / December 30, 2012 11:06 PM PST

I'll add that I've no problem with anyone collecting "entitlements" which are legally owed to them. I may think that some are counterproductive, however, and could stand review and tweaking. There should be no incentive for a person to remain "on the dole" any longer than what is needed to get off of it.

Collapse -
hmm, it does seem out of place, apologies if it
by Roger NC / December 30, 2012 11:37 PM PST

seemed a direct attack.

Probably should have just gone under the OP, as part of the general effect of the clift, not a specific counterpoint to a specific argument.

Collapse -
Hmm, I thought that
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 2:36 AM PST

was supposed to only be Toni's specialty. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) if it can be fouled up, I'll find a way
by Roger NC / December 31, 2012 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm, I thought that
Collapse -
The best explanation I've heard so far
by Diana Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 11:08 PM PST

is that they are stalling so that taxes will go up and, then, they can come to an agreement that will lower taxes on the 98% and brag that they cut taxes.

Sounds like Congress Critters.

Diana

Collapse -
Really?? They'd do something that conniving??
by Steven Haninger / December 30, 2012 11:58 PM PST
Happy
Collapse -
that's part of why
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 3:05 AM PST

I've been avoiding even doing the daily up and downs of "fiscal cliff" discussion. I remembered the January months in AF when we'd wonder if our next paycheck would be delayed or not. Learned then how often Congress plays this game.

Collapse -
Answer
So now the House spends time on other bills
by Roger NC / December 31, 2012 7:46 AM PST

and will not vote on the bill that the Senate says it can pass tonight.

As sholes all of them.

I propose an amendment, any individual holding congressional office any year a full year's budget isn't passed be barred from all elective offices for life, even dog catcher.

Collapse -
I'm guessing that
by James Denison / December 31, 2012 8:04 AM PST

your job depends on a budget getting passed?

Collapse -
no more than most industry in this country
by Roger NC / December 31, 2012 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: I'm guessing that

I'm just tired of their irresponsibiity, playing craps with the lives of the men and women of this country, insular in that nothing affects them, their contempt of the worry, anxiety, and pain they're causing the public.

And maybe I'm reacting more than normal for me, but I've watched them argue and people here argue and people at work argue and not a damn one of all those argueing hears or learns anything.

I believe you like many have complained over people that work for the public not doing their job, well they're not doing their job, they're getting themselves raises, they can tie up legislature without even showing up for work, and they get gifts from the lobbyists that would put any honest representative to shame.

They are more interested in news time than listening to the US citizenship, most of who want a settlement more than they want any one particular bone of contention.

They make a mockery of the term representative body.

A pox on all their houses. I'd like to see everyone in Congress, the Senate, every single one of them lose their next election. Then at least they can be hired as consultants and lobbyists for the people buying them now, it's be more honest work than claiming they're representing the people. I actually wish every single one of them had to do a physically demanding job for a year, I wish they all had to sit down and decide which bill they would pay this paycheck and which would have to wait for the next one.

And before the assumption is made that is my problem, no, I'm fortunate that I've saved a bit, that I've had decent medical insurance, and that so far I've not been out of work more than 6 weeks in one year. Nor is anyone in my immediate family that bad off fortunately.

But I can face the reality that all who are in such straits aren't there just because they're lazy or hopped up all the time. I'm tired of seeing people that have benefitted from past federal programs saying others don't deserve it.

Every year, it seems we become more a nation of hypocrisy.

Collapse -
The "special interest" and lobbyist favors
by Steven Haninger / December 31, 2012 9:09 AM PST

was supposed to have ended after the 2008 election. You mean it didn't happen? Devil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.