Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet connection contunied..

by Brechenme / February 17, 2004 9:10 AM PST

Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet connection or my internet won't work. WHats going on with it? THere has to be a fix, does anyone have any idea what is causing this? i had Windows XP Home in before and it worked fine then when i installed WIn XP Pro it started doing this.
I run Win XP Pro
SBC Yahoo DSL
My COnnection goes through a modem to a router and from a router to 3 computers.... all computers work fine except for the one with this problem.
I use a speedstream modem and Linksys router.
I have all windows updates
Norton Internet Security 2004
Windows XP Firewall off.

I do not know what i repair on my connection i just tell it to repair the line it does its little process then it works. SOrry i don't know much else. I recently got a new driver my Windows for it but it still doesn't work. I am not a newb at the computer stuff.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet connection contunied..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet connection contunied..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet connection contunied..

I KNOW I SPELT CONTINUED wrong. JUST wanted to fix it before someone said something

Collapse -
Re:Re:Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet connection contunied..
Collapse -
Having to repair connection often, too....

I have the same problem as you do.
My configuration is a bit different, but this could help us to track down the problem.

Symtoms:

every time I reboot, I have to do a repair connection or I cannot access the web.
I don't seem to have this problem at another location.

Configuration:
Laptop, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 1425
Windows XP Home SP2
Provider Skynet ADSL
All connection ADSL, Wireless, Wired, go through DSL-G604T D-Link Wireless ADSL Router. (currently only 1 computer connected and 1 HP 2610 Printer)
I have all windows updates
Norton Systemworks 2005
Windows XP Firewall off
Zonealarm ON.

Maybe someone can help, anyway if I have more news I,ll poste it!

Collapse -
I have similar problem

Yes I have to repair my INTERNET connection when I start windows. In addition, I must occasionally repair INTERNET while online. It seems that after 4-8 minutes my INTERNET loses connection. Its most frustration trying to play online games as I get disconnected as soon as I am able to get into server.

Two weeks ago while half asleep, I came across a Microsoft patch for this very problem. I downloaded it and must have deleted it prior to installing.

Collapse -
I too have a similar problem
by qnuspp / July 7, 2005 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I have similar problem

Hello,

I have a wireless adsl router with a laptop and a desktop both worelessly connected.I have no problems woth the laptop but i do with the desktop. Every time i boot my desktop it says "wireless conection 2 has limited or no connectivity" and displays the yellow warning triangle over the connection. I have to right click the connection and click repair every time to access the internet.

Anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks

Andrew

Collapse -
Repair my connection to access the internet.
by tinman8 / July 8, 2005 1:23 AM PDT

It sound like all of you have DSL problems. I would check with my DSL provider for a solution. I seem to recall that windows xp had a patch for SBC DSL.

Collapse -
I've got the same problem...
by effedup / July 10, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

but I'm using Charter Digital Pipeline Cable Modem. The speeds are all good (3 megs down, 512k up) but I lose the internet connection every other day for no reason I can figure out. Could this be a firewall issue of something? I'm running Norton Systemworks 2004 and Norton Antivirus 2004, windows firewall is disabled since Norton is running, and all windows and norton updates are current. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
oh yeah...
by effedup / July 10, 2005 12:16 AM PDT

How do you disable the balloons that pop up and tell you the signal strength? For some reason my computer likes to tell me over and over again that my signal strength is "excellent", and it never changes. Except for when it goes dead Sad

Collapse -
Everytime I start my computer i have to repair my internet

Had same problem,also speed less than 512k,should have been 1Mb,had to keep pressing repair to get online etc,turns out it was a bad circuit on BT test they have repaired it and now alls ok

Collapse -
Here's a solution you could try.

I had the same problem with my Verizon DSL a couple months back. I would click repair over and over. This didn't even work half the time either.

I tried two things that worked great. First, I wiped every network connection and started over. I had one for the DSL and one from using a crossover cable to connect a couple old notebooks I've sold to people to use as fuel management systems. After that, I took a look at my 5 year old DSL box and decided to get a replacement for it. Verizon sent one out without a problem, and since doing both of those at once, not a single problem has come up.

Collapse -
Anyone got any help fpr me?
by qnuspp / July 8, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

My problem is above,

My wireless connection has to keep being repaired at start up and sometimes cuts of when using it. This has only started happening recently since i got my new laptop. could this be the cause??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andrew

Collapse -
broken internet connection
by rocknut / July 8, 2005 9:34 AM PDT

Hi,

Have you tried getting into your router config. setup?
I had a similar problem, and came across an article (Netgear router) about troubleshooting the MTU. I know in Netgear you have to scroll down to WAN setup...
there you'll find a box with MTU, for most comps. the value should read 1500. So it stands to reason other routers might have a similar setup...Worth a shot.
rocknut

Collapse -
Thanks
by qnuspp / July 8, 2005 6:26 PM PDT

I have changed the MTU value from 1492 to 1500, should this make muh difference?

What does this do anyway?

Thanks

Andrew

Collapse -
check out this
by jonah jones / July 8, 2005 6:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Thanks Again
by qnuspp / July 8, 2005 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: check out this

Thanks for that very good explanation.

I believe that the MTU is not a problem on my comp or my router but thanks anyway.

Anyone else have any help for me?

Here is my problem:

I have a wireless adsl router with a laptop and a desktop both wirelessly connected.I have no problems woth the laptop but i do with the desktop. Every time i boot my desktop it says "wireless conection 2 has limited or no connectivity" and displays the yellow warning triangle over the connection. I have to right click the connection and click repair every time to access the internet.

Anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks

Andrew

Collapse -
Internet Crash

I had this problem with my Windows ME program

I found out that the Firewall was not compatable !

Collapse -
Had sim problem

Had sim problem, I was able to connect without the router in with no errors at all so next I hooked up router same problem as b4, downloaded newest version
Of router drivers and reinstalled. This fixed my problem might help, I'm sure for a fee the hardware
Mfg would walk you through this same fix.

Collapse -
Things that worked for me

I had this problem till about two days ago. Turns out that my wireless card kept trying to log into an unsecured network in my building that was called ''default'' by its owner. I deleted it from my list of networks so the only network the wireless now attmepts to log into is mine. No problems since then.

Other things I did previously that might help:
- I changed the SSID broadcast name for my network to something unique (you do this in your router's config utility)
- I'm also using WPA security on the network and software firewalls on each computer (not the XP firewall)

Collapse -
This worked for me
by will4vols / July 12, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

Go to My computer>Control Panel> (Category view) Network And internet conecions>network conections at the bottom>the wireless icon if you are wireless>view wireless networks>change order o preferred netwoks and make sure yours is the only one or on top

Collapse -
This worked for me
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.