Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Event viewer not working (!)

by rkr3 / December 29, 2007 12:19 PM PST

I use Win XP SP2 on a Dell M90 laptop (Intel T7200, 2GB RAM)

I just fired up my Event Viewer, and was I surprised to find that it doesn't seem to be logging any events. For example, the last event logged under 'System' was on December 24th.

Funnily enough, the 'Microsoft Sessions' seems to be logging okay -- it seems up to date; but none of the other options seem to be working, just as in 'System'.

What could be the problem, and how do I fix this?

Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Event viewer not working (!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Event viewer not working (!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2007 12:20 PM PST
Collapse -
No, I checked that -- first thing I did
by rkr3 / December 29, 2007 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: Most likely.

Hi, Bob -- thanks for your quick reply.

No, I don't think that's it -- that was one of the first things I checked, and the Event Viewer Logging service *was* started.

I seem to have solved the problem partly as of now; I cleaned up the entries through 'File -- Options', *but* I now find that all the Event Viewer is logging is a bunch of errors, ALL of which are related to DCOM being unable to communicate with computers on various networks which are either off or are not present (such as my office network; I'm currently at home). All of which seems to indicate that it's still not working properly.

Collapse -
Just to be sure, disable it, clear all logs, boot, re enable
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 12:51 AM PST

It's Windows. Remember that some events are best not to find stuff. A system item such as hard disk write failures is not nice to find. There are filters for the events. See that they are "off."

Collapse -
Didn't work
by rkr3 / January 2, 2008 12:18 PM PST

Nope -- no luck.

Disabled the service
Cleared all logs (evt files)
Rebooted and re-enabled the service

-- still showing only those DCOM errors.

All filters etc. are all set to "Restore Defaults", so I'm assuming any kind of filter is off.

Collapse -
Maybe I'm misreading your request.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2008 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Didn't work

I thought it was that the Event Viewer wasn't working. Now that we know it does work, is the real issue the DCOM entries?

Collapse -
Yes, that's the problem
by rkr3 / January 3, 2008 8:22 PM PST

Yes, like I said in post #3, I seem to have got it 'partly' working in that it's now logging *something*; the issue is that it's only logging those DCOM entries, and nothing else. Totally weird!

Collapse -
Yes to which issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 9:36 PM PST
Collapse -
by rkr3 / January 3, 2008 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Yes to which issue?

Sorry...maybe I'm making some kind of mistake in explanation.

As I understand (and from my experience), the Event Viewer (under the 'System' option) logs several types of Windows events; at least, that's what I remember from when it did work properly.

Right now all my Event Viewer is doing is logging JUST the DCOM error entries. It's like it's set on some kind of a filter just to log DCOM errors. But -- I haven't set any filters, and even it they had somehow been set, I've set all filters to 'Restore Defaults'.

Is there any way of attaching a screenshot with my post? That would greatly help in explaining the problem.

Basically, my issue is -- why isn't it logging normally? Why is it just logging the DCOM error entries? (BTW, I don't think they need fixing, they're just normal 'errors'.)

Sorry if I'm not clearer.

Collapse -
In a well running system you won't see many entries.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2008 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry

In fact, 2 of my views are empty too. Which for my machine is proper.

Use the tool I noted to create a few of your own to test your system. As it stands I don't see what needs fixing.

Collapse -
Event Log
by devil_himself / January 4, 2008 2:54 PM PST

Start . Run . Services.msc
Set the startup type of the Event Log Service to "Disabled", reboot.

Start . Run . %Systemroot%\system32\config
Rename all .evt files in %Systemroot%\system32\config.

Start . Run . Services.msc
Set the startup type of the Event Log Service back to "Automatic", reboot.

How to Delete Corrupt Event Viewer Log Files

Collapse -
Seems to be working
by rkr3 / January 11, 2008 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Event Log

Okay, I did all that, and the event viewer seems to be working like before as of now...till the next time the evt files get corrupted, I guess.

I wonder if evt file corruption is a regular feature on most XP systems, or if there's something which is hosed in my which case, it's probably going to happen again.

Anyways thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
by devil_himself / January 11, 2008 3:46 PM PST
In reply to: Seems to be working

Glad You Got It Fixed Happy

Collapse -
reload problem
by petite1945 / January 12, 2008 12:34 AM PST

at some point a program has turn off some of the administrative (service) controls in the control panel under admistrative tools.
reset these and the problem should be solved.This problem is one of windows xp and pros problems

Collapse -
Please be more specific...
by weedfreer / October 22, 2009 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: reload problem

Hi there petite1945,

Any chance that you could do a step by step of what you explained? I understand what you are talking about, have the same issue as above with event logs but also have issues changing things like 'View hidden system files and folders' within the Folder Options section of the My Computer tools menu.

I had thought that this may have been down to a virusey type program altering certain system settings. I believe that it may have been removed recently when i had installed the new version of the AV onto the system but has potentially left a legacy of problems in it's wake.

Many thanks in advance if you are able to be more specific here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.