Windows 8 forum

Event viewer Error 240

by Tiger6_5 / March 8, 2013 1:13 AM PST

Getting literally 1000's of these errors in 2 forms under Applications and service logs, Microsoft, Windows, Application Resource Management System and Apps. This is causing quite a hit in performance. Have tried the following without success: sfc,scannow, chkdsk, Refresh. Factory Restore using a fresh download of Windows 8.

Log Name: Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationResourceManagementSystem
Date: 3/7/2013 11:43:11 PM
Event ID: 240
Task Category: (2005)
Level: Error
User: RICHARD-PC\Richard
Computer: Richard-PC
ApplicationResourceManagement Initialization Failed
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="">
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-ApplicationResourceManagementSystem" Guid="{770CA594-B467-4811-B355-28F5E5706987}" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-03-08T04:43:11.072337700Z" />
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="8156" ThreadID="7720" />
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4034151804-1093243791-3999464340-1001" />
<Data Name="String1">Microsoft::Resources::UnifiedResourceView::LoadPriFiles</Data>
<Data Name="String2">LoadPriFiles</Data>
<Data Name="HResult">-2147024894</Data>

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Event viewer Error 240
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Event viewer Error 240
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Now in English.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Event viewer Error 240

You're supplying events, logs but not telling what made you look there.

Tell the forum about the machine, make, model, what the maker is telling you along with how to re-create such as:
"I open the web site jimmyjimmy and play the video and my machine reboots."
"So I'm looking at the event viewer and see these entries."
"Question, does anyone know what I should do next?"

Collapse -
Computer Specs
by Tiger6_5 / March 8, 2013 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Now in English.

HP Pavilion h8-1230 Desktop, AMD 6120 six core 3.5MHz processor AMI v8.10, Ram 10 GB, 2TB Hard drive, original OS Windows 8 Home Premium new in August 2012, Updated in October 2012 to Windows 8 Pro. Running usual assortment of Apps, Office 365, Windows Defender, Internet Explorer 10 and Firefox 19.0, Updated CDBurner XP, Windows Essentials 2012, Skydrive, Nvidia Graphics 314.07, StartisBack, Windows 7 Games. All software and drivers updated to latest Windows 8. Having problems with Windows Apps, live tiles not working, crashing, not opening. it was suggested I check Event Viewer out. No known virus or malaware. any else Bob?

P>S also Installed is HP Deskjet 3054A Printer.

Collapse -
Since it's that new, a warranty issue it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Computer Specs

Could be as simple as a heatsink fell off but I looked and it seems this machine is well inside the warranty.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Bob
by Tiger6_5 / March 8, 2013 11:48 PM PST
Collapse -
No joy in Mudville
by Tiger6_5 / April 18, 2013 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

I struck-out. Been arguing with HP for the last month getting no where. First they state that ALL errors, warning are automatically repaired by the system. immediately after they happen., and two if it was a hardware problem the computer would be un-usable. Any other suggestion as to how I can solve this?

Collapse -
As it stands.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: No joy in Mudville

1. I disagree with HP on the statement.
2. Don't ask me about my last HP.
3. If you restore it to the factory OS and condition, does it work or not?

Collapse -
by Tiger6_5 / April 20, 2013 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: As it stands.

First I need to correct my typo. Original operating system Windows 7 Home premium. Biggest issue in 7 was boot errors and Cap12 errors occasionally. Same basic boot errors and bushels of errors involving Windows 8 Modern Apps. This is just 1 of the many.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -John Muir

Collapse -
W8PApplicantion Resource Management System - Event 240
by bigfatboy_1 / September 15, 2013 11:34 PM PDT

after asking someone to give you all the technical data for his PC, your response to his problem (repeating and numerous Error events!) is insulting, and belies a certain ignorance.

your response:
"Could be as simple as a heatsink fell off but I looked and it seems this machine is well inside the warranty.

did you not see any of the following in the additional information he also provided:
" Having problems with Windows Apps, live tiles not working, crashing, not opening"

Collapse -
Your reply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2013 1:50 AM PDT

Makes me think you are new to the PC repair industry. I've encountered the heat sink issue too many times over the years and if a machine is well inside the warranty we want to use that for a very good reason.

To check that heat sink we would have to open it up, void the warranty and we may be asking the owner to go way outside their comfort zone.

-> Try this. If you feel you have a better answer, add it.

All Answers

Collapse -
Problem Solved.
by Tiger6_5 / September 16, 2013 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Event viewer Error 240

Just bought a new HP Envy Phoenix 800-070st. and immediately upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, then to 8.1 Pro Preview. With the Upgrade to 8.1 the problem is gone so I guess Microsoft took care of it. Still have a couple of errors that I need to solve but, this computer is running circles around anything I have ever had..

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe. - John Muir

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.