Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Ethernet sending packets, but im not receiving them

by ninjaibeebo / June 18, 2004 11:33 AM PDT

HELP, i just bought a new HP pavillion a330n and i have it all setup, ethernet connected, and it says connections enabled, but when i check the progress it says "185 packets sent | 0 received" so i call my Manufacturer, they refer me to my ISP, call my ISP they cant figure it out, does anyone here know why it says connections enabled, and why it wont receive packets and let me use the internet?? it would be much appreciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet sending packets, but im not receiving them
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet sending packets, but im not receiving them
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Ethernet sending packets, but im not receiving them
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / June 18, 2004 8:50 PM PDT

You have a software firewall running or router hooked up?
What ISP and OS you running?

Collapse -
by ninjaibeebo / June 18, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

No routers. or firewalls... that i know of... im using North eastern pennsylvania telephone company and my OS is XP, i just got this computer yeaterday and i dont understand why it wont work

Collapse -
Steven Matthews
by Runit2007 / May 25, 2009 5:33 AM PDT

Hello! I have optimum i have a regular which works with the service but i tried putting the LAN connection to my laptop ( DEll laptop INspiron 3200) changed it from windows 98 to XP much better!!! I am using a ethernet card ( compaq ipaq networking 10/100 fast ethernet pc card) I am currently still using it. It is connected it is sending packets but it isnt receiving anny at all the firewall is off is on obtain IP address automically i dont know what s wrong please help me!!!
_Steven-

Collapse -
Try running a simple test
by Michael Geist / June 19, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

Open a command prompt (Start/Run/type in cmd), at the command prompt type in (ping 127.0.0.1) without the brackets. See if any packets are lost along the way. If so you likely have a bad NIC.

Collapse -
Still not working =/
by ninjaibeebo / June 20, 2004 4:53 AM PDT

I ran the command and pinged that number, and my own (dont know if that wouldve done anything) but it said it sent 4 packets in the prompt and i receive4, while still in my LAN connection status the receiving end was still saying 0. I really do not understand any of this but i think the NIC is fine.

Collapse -
Try that command prompt....
by Michael Geist / June 20, 2004 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working =/

again, but this time type in ipconfig/all and report back what is listed.

Collapse -
by ridetheformula / July 16, 2004 4:12 PM PDT

I have the same type of problem. 3 computer host-98 se and client computers have xp. host is connected wile the 2 clients are not. this happened after comcast had done some work to thier network. the computers don't recieve packet but they each ping the 127.0.0.1 4 sent 4 recieved. i also did the ipconfig/all and here are my results:
Pri DNS suffix- blank
node type-unknown
IP routing enabled-no
wins proxy enabled-no
connection specific DNS suffix-blank
DHCP enabled-yes
auto config enabled-yes auto config ip address- my ip listed
subnet mask 255.255.0.0
default gateway-blank

this is from computer #2 of 3. it also will not let me renew or "repair" my ip address

Collapse -
by sjr0328 / September 2, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

I am having the same problem, and I posted my situation on another thread. If someone out there can give me an answer, I am going out of my head with this. Please, please help.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 1:22 AM PDT

When I face this, I carry a new router and client card with me. I do try updating the firmware in the devices, but what most can't do is swap out the hardware to find out what part it is.

Another issue is that some will accept a driver update from Microsoft. We get to remove that.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
by hooz / January 21, 2005 4:02 AM PST

Im having the same trouble, and i already tried a new ethernet card ,,,,still no luck i did a fresh install of windows and continue to have the same problem

Collapse -
Ethernet sending packets, but im not receiving them
by WiBrid / January 21, 2005 7:22 AM PST

Where it sez 255.255.0.0, and You said,"it also will not let me renew or "repair" my ip address" the DHCP server didn't give your pc(s)an IP address. Are you using a software router like Internet Connection Sharing or a hardware router like a Linksys or netgear ?

Collapse -
try this
by dcannoy / February 12, 2005 7:51 AM PST

Try WinsockFix : www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257 . Sometimes spyware removal tools can detect some necessary winsock files as spyware, and most users don't know the difference. (i was one of them)

Collapse -
thanks!
by max99990 / March 15, 2005 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: try this

I was pulling my hair out trying to fix a roomate's computer to get her hooked up to my router. WinsockFix cleared the problem right up! thanks!!

Collapse -
Winsock worked to re-establish my internet connection
by yheitman / October 5, 2005 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

I downloaded the update for Internet Explorer and the wireless card seemed to stop functioning immediately afterwards. No matter what I did, I could not fix the problem. My computer was sending very few packets and receiving none, but the icon said I was connected to the internet. I pinged and was receiving without any lost, but I still could not connect until I tried your fix (winsock). It worked!! It's people like you that keep my faith in continuing to plug away at my computer. Thank you so much.

Collapse -
Winsock Fix
by crabcakes / July 10, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

Winsock worked for me! Yeeeeha! I am doing the Happy Dance! Thank you for recommending this!

Collapse -
Ethernet not connecting to Broadband.
by joeanddani / April 4, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

I have this same problem. From what I gather (I have Windows XP Pro SP2) Windows XP waits a while to obtain an IP address (I assume that your ISP uses Dynamic and not Static IPs). If it does not get a response, it assumes server is down and assigns itself an IP address such as 169.254.0.0. Every so often (5 min) it requests an IP address from the server, if it does not get an answer it keeps this same IP. You will see your modem Ethernet and Activity lights blinking constantly when your PC has not received the IP address from the ISP. I've tried forcing a Static IP to no avail.

The ISP blames the problem on the Modem, the modem folks blame it on your computer and then there is the maker of the ethernet card.
By the way, I've tried moving the ethernet card to a PC using Windows 98SE and everything works fine. So it is not the modem, cable or PCI card. Seems that it is Windows XP or my PC.

Suggest moving PCI card and cable modem to another PC, but as you see above I did that and could not get it to repeat. Another way would be to leave the connection for a while and see if there is finally communications. I tried it today but no work.

Are you using a Linksys modem? I hear they require a good line. Do you get the cable light ON not blinking on the modem? If not, the cable company will need to boost your signal.

Collapse -
10 months and zero score ago, this post was written.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 5:38 AM PDT

You may want to reply to posts under a month old.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.