Computer Help

General discussion

Ethernet Network Controller has a yellow question mark

by red.paul84 / January 1, 2008 8:28 PM PST

Hi, I recently reinstalled Windows XP on my system. Once done, I realised I had no motherboard CD. I managed to download most of the drivers but the Ethernet Network Controller still has a big yellow question mark next to it in Device manager. Is this a problem? What do I have to do to resolve this issue? I've got a ASUSTek Motherboard, with an AMD Athlon(tm) dual core processor. Someone please help me with this....

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet Network Controller has a yellow question mark
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet Network Controller has a yellow question mark
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It will be a problem if you expect to use it
by lacsr / January 1, 2008 9:19 PM PST

It probably means the drivers for this are not installed. Do you have an add-on NIC or is it part of the motherboard? If it is part of the motherboard, some more searching is involved. If it is an add-on then find out the make and model. Then go to the manufacturer's site to get the driver.
Belarc Advisor may be able to tell you the make and model if you cannot find it.
http://www.download.com/Belarc-Advisor/3000-2094_4-10716621.html

Collapse -
Thank you Iacsr. Issue resolved, but need more help...
by red.paul84 / January 4, 2008 12:33 PM PST

I reinstalled all drivers on my PC. This seems to have resolved the Ethernet Network Controller problem. But there's still a yellow question mark under 'Other Devices'. The device in question is marked as 'unknown device' in the Device Manager. How can I identify this device? Please help... Thank you.

Collapse -
Well, if you know what devices are installed
by lacsr / January 4, 2008 8:38 PM PST

Start looking for one that does not work. You can also have Windows try, but do not expect that it will be that easy.
While in Device Manager, right click on the unknown device. Let Windows look for the driver by clicking "Update Driver" and allow an internet search. A longer method is to look at the printout from Belarc Advisor and start going down the list of components until you find one not listed in Device Manager. Then find the driver for that and have Windows install it.
It can be fun, but it can also be confusing and irritating.
Good luck!!

Collapse -
What are the on board devices on your MB?
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2008 8:39 PM PST

Can you account for all of them? These generally include sound, video, network interfaces, USB and firewire ports, HD interfaces such as SATA, etc. It's a good bet you don't have all the MB devices installed. Sometimes add in cards are dependent on MB drivers to be loaded first before they can be recognized. Windows sees something but hasn't a clue what it is. Plug and Play devices can ID themselves but first need communicate their existence. MB drivers are often necessary to do this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.