Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Ethernet controller problems (a service installation...)

by john_john1234 / January 16, 2010 3:51 AM PST

Hi I have been having problems with an acer extensa 5510z i downgraded from vista to xp. The ethernet controller is not working i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling then using drivers off the acer website but to no avail. It has got to the point where i cant uninstall the ethernet controller it says it may need to boot from it but i have changed the settings so it does not need to boot from ethernet controller. I have used the wizard to try and install the driver it starts to load the files (for broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller) and creates a back up point to restore from if needed. Then CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE comes up and says there was an error during installation , a service installation section in this INF is invalid.
I have followed all the instructions from this thread http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=252569 but to no avail unless i did something wrong.
Anyway im really getting tired of this issue mabey the ethernet controller for this laptop is not backward compatabale and acers support is terrible the phone number for ireland is wrong !!
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance :S

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ethernet controller problems (a service installation...)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ethernet controller problems (a service installation...)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's look at a few other posts first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 4:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Hi
by john_john1234 / January 17, 2010 12:53 AM PST

Thanks im sorry but i dont know my exact order of install but i think im fairly sure i installed the chipset driver first. What are your suggestions to fix this issue should i uninstall the chipset driver then do the ethernet controller first??

Collapse -
Sketch out a plan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Hi

Like the one provided. Keep the order and try again. Your choice to try uninstalling this,then that etc.

Collapse -
huh
by john_john1234 / January 17, 2010 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Sketch out a plan.

Sorry R Proffitt i dont understand ? could you explain again ? do i have to do a full install again ? at least i have driver magician this time it will make it alot easier.

Collapse -
Never used a magician.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: huh

Since this install has failed, we start over and make a plan then stick to it. Alter the plan to match YOUR MACHINE. Only you and the machine maker has this plan. Many want a fix but this is what I do when I find a botched install. I make an install plan and start over. If the plan does not work I research google for ideas and sometimes find newer drivers.

If there are no XP drivers I know not to install XP.
Bob

Collapse -
INTERNET ACCESS
by imaurice / January 17, 2010 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: Hi

I am using Compaq Presario F768WM Notebook.S/N CNF8146WFN Downloaded from Vista to WIN XP Home version 2002. am unable to connect to internet because cannot install ethernet driver, or wireless driver. iS THERE ANY SOLUTION OTHER THAN COMPLETE vISTA REINSTALL

Collapse -
Presume you mean down-graded and not
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2010 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: INTERNET ACCESS

a downloaded version of XP. In this case, if the notebook came with Vista, you'd need to find out if an XP downgrade was offered at the time or if XP drivers are available on their web site. If these were never offered, you'll need to go back to Vista.

Collapse -
yes
by john_john1234 / January 17, 2010 2:17 AM PST

The drivers are available on the acer website, all the other devices are working. If i was to wipe the laptop again which order should i install drivers ??

Collapse -
Motherboard chipset first
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2010 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: yes

The rest I can't know. The manufacturer may have a recommendation. It's probably safe to do video next, then audio, Ethernet and wireless while restarting and testing along the way. But, while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to look at BIOS updates as well. You don't necessarily need to have the latest but don't want to be too far behind. If you do BIOS, that supersedes driver installations as the starting point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.