Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ESET online scanner

by Basil Hall / February 9, 2008 4:45 AM PST

XP Home Dial-up

I have not been able to use House Call for some time as it would not fully down load or it cut out on me.

I tried ESET, and thought great, it was relatively quick and detected a trojan in Java Runtime which AVG hadn't picked up. My joy has been short lived because I can no longer get it to update the files. I get as far as installing the new updates and the thing throws up "Error Update failed (200)"

I thought of trying to update in safe mode but this seems to have gone dippy on me as well. As far as I remember (certainly with Win 98) all the icon appeared on the desktop, but I can only get a limited number of icons, including IE, but no way of actually connecting with my server.

Anybody any ideas concerning these two problems ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ESET online scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ESET online scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
trojan in Java Runtime ?
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 9, 2008 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: ESET online scanner

Virus found in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache directory

This article applies to:

* Platform(s):
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (SP4+), Windows XP (SP1 SP2), Windows 2003
* JRE version(s):
1.4.2_xx, 1.5.0

Malicious applets have been discovered in the JRE cache directory. Anti-virus programs have detected such malicious applets in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1. 0\jar\

These malicious applets are designed to exploit vulnerabilities in the Microsoft VM (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011).

If you are using the Sun JVM as your default virtual machine, these malicious applets cannot cause any harm to your computer.

Do you have the latest version of Sun Java??

the latest version is: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4

Collapse -
(NT) Marianna, I do have JRE 6 update 4.
by Basil Hall / February 9, 2008 5:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Basil - did you REMOVE the "old ones" via add\remove?
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 9, 2008 5:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Can you run........
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 9, 2008 5:39 AM PST

Kaspersky WebScanner (Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer)

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.

* The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
* Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
* Now click on Scan Settings
* In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
o Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
o Standard
o Scan Options:
o Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases
* Click OK
* Now under select a target to scan:
o Select My Computer
* This will program will start and scan your system.
* The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
* Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.

Collapse -
by Basil Hall / February 9, 2008 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Can you run........

I had removed old JREs and ran the Kaspersky WebScanner...was clean.

Because I do not think the JRE cache is a great advantage, I have unchecked the "keep temporary files on my computer" option. This should prevent further infection ?

Thanks Marianna, your a peach!

Collapse -
Basil - GREAT job !
by Marianna Schmudlach / February 9, 2008 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Marianna
Because I do not think the JRE cache is a great advantage, I have unchecked the "keep temporary files on my computer" option. This should prevent further infection ?

Right on with unchecking ! I also would suggest, before scanning you computer, always run CCleaner first, so all "junk files" are gone Wink

You Are Very Welcome and have a great warm sunny Sunday as we are shoveling the snow up here Happy
Collapse -
Basil, Just a thought...
by Larry38 / February 9, 2008 7:04 AM PST

I notice you have dial-up. Have you had your speed checked lately? I have DSL now and ran House Call last evening, but I remember back when I had dial-up I could hardly ever run an online scan, and some updates would be too big, and would have to keep trying. My ISP Tech. told me when my dial-up speed dropped below a certain speed (which I don't remember now, it's been a long time) that I would have these types of problems. I had no choice at the time, as DSL was not out this far. Get your ISP to send a Tech. out and check your signal.

Collapse -
Thanks Larry...
by Basil Hall / February 9, 2008 10:13 AM PST

I used to get a "you're too slow" kind of warning when I failed to download house call, and I suspected , well knew, the dial-up was too slow. Perhaps nobody is catering to the dial-up people anymore and broadband is the expensive (for me) answer. I will look into my dial-up speed. I think there is a way of testing it on the web.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Here you go...
by Larry38 / February 9, 2008 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Larry...
Collapse -
by Basil Hall / February 9, 2008 12:48 PM PST
In reply to: Here you go...

The site you use is specific for America and doesn't take New Zealand area codes.

I have found local ones and it seems the speed varies from 34 to 40 k bits, whatever, per second.

Collapse -
Update Error 200
by psucansky / December 30, 2008 8:49 PM PST

This update error is not appearing in new version of ESET Online Scanner released at Dec 2008.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.