Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error msg: C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable.

by rpawlo2000 / April 27, 2009 4:31 AM PDT

Downloaded IE8- nothing but headaches since. Am now getting the above error message. it also says to run "Chksdk utility". Tried that, but when I reboot, the scan starts then abruptly says "cannot access volume NTFS, scan complete" Am I looking at a major problem?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error msg: C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error msg: C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes, big problems
by ramarc / April 27, 2009 4:42 AM PDT

your master file table is corrupt.
you can try to run windows recovery console and run chkdsk /r:
if you have your windows installation disc(s) you can also try doing a repair install.

ps: downloading/installing ie8 was not the cause of this problem. most likely the issues you're having with ie8 were caused by this the mft corruption.

Collapse -
more help needed
by rpawlo2000 / April 27, 2009 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: yes, big problems

I went to the article on how to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP. I would rather run the Console from the XP disc instead of installing it and then having to remove it later (I feel I'm more apt to make a mistake removing it).

I installed the XP disc and restarted the computer per instructions. I'm supposed to get a "Welcome to setup" screen and press R to start the Recovery Console. What I get instead is a blue screen with info telling me it's a NTFS file. "cannot open volume for direct access. scan is complete". Windows then starts up. What have I done wrong? Appreciate your help!

Collapse -
i don't think you're booting off the xp installation disc
by ramarc / April 28, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: more help needed

you may have to change the boot order in your bios or press a key to boot from the cd.

Collapse -
headaches cont'd
by rpawlo2000 / April 28, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

I attempted to get to your message this AM. Got the message that IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. I can no longer get to cnet or my messages on my computer. I have borrowed a friend's computer for the time being.

After reading the Microsoft article, it gave me two ways to run chkdsk; one was doing the install of the Recovery Console which I really didn't want to do, the 2nd was to run it off the XP disc which I tried first. Off the disc didn't work so I typed in the commands to install it from the disc but even then I still kept getting the same response-"cannot open volume for direct access".

How do I change the boot order in my bios?

I'll wait for your response first before I switch computer hookups back to mine. I have to call TimeWarner each swap so they can reset the modem. I really appreciate your help

Collapse -
boot order is set in the bios
by ramarc / April 29, 2009 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: headaches cont'd

it varies from pc to pc so i can't give you specific instructions.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.