Samsung forum

General discussion

Error message "Not Supported File Format"

by nodarsej / September 21, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

Someone please help...
I'd like to enjoy the features I paid for and Samsung Tech Support has not been able to resolve.

TV Model: UN55C8000XF

I?ve installed the PC Share Manager V4.2 and got it working. My TV recognized the shared folder and I?m able to see the files and names of the files from the TV. The shared folder contains four sample pictures in jpg format. Two of the files are from a Nikon camera and the others are exported images from Adobe Elements (converted to jpg from an original raw file from a Canon Rebel XTi camera). I have made sure the files conform to the manuals spec that the resolution not exceed 15,360x8,640 (pg 38 of the User Manual)

Basically, the issue is I get the error message ?Not Supported File Format? and no one seems to know why.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message "Not Supported File Format"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message "Not Supported File Format"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Error message "Not Supported File Format"
by nodarsej / September 28, 2010 11:50 AM PDT

Well, I managed to do some troubleshooting on my own. I took the same pics and copied them over to a hard-drive and then plugged in the hard-drive via USB to the TV. Guess what, I can see the pictures.

So the problem is not with the jpg files themselves, but rather with PC Manager reading them across the network on my PC. By the way, I am on a PC running Windows Vista.

Any suggestion? Anyone from Samsung out there?

Collapse -
Same here..
by gsjb / October 8, 2010 9:05 PM PDT

Hi Samsung..

I have a PS50C550G1FXXY Plasma TV and I am getting the same issue.

I can take a set of Pictures, movies and music and store them on a portable hard drive and connect it directly to the tv and they all play fine.

If I try to access the same files from my windows home server over the network, I can see the files but I get the "Not Supported File Format" error message when I try to play them.

I have updated the firmware to 1022.0 (05/10/10) but this has not had any effect on playback.

Your help would be most appreciated as this was one of the features I justified the purchase of the tv with.

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
Almost same here.
by Arvidb / October 24, 2010 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here..

I have the model ue40c5105 Led TV.

When I use a memory stick it plays .mkv files like a charm.

When I try to play the same files on my NAS it says "Not supportet file format"

I have a Samsung wireless adapter and a D-link NAS and ROUTER. I can browse and play media file type .avi, but not .mkv from the NAS. I have upgraded BIOS on all devices. I have changed the filename so the .mkv ending has capital letters (.MKV) No use.

This is not logical, something is wrong. I just cant belive it is my network since I can play .avi files.

Collapse -
by Arvidb / October 25, 2010 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost same here.

Renamed all the files from .mkv to .mp4

All test show that this is the solution for me. The problem was in the NAS D-link DNS-323

Collapse -
same issue with music
by jshurak / December 30, 2010 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: solution

I'm having the same issue with the DNS-323. You simply renamed all mkv files to mp4? How is that an issue with the DNS-323? I've a ton of mp3 files on mine and they are
not supported' on the tv. Will test with an external drive though..

Collapse -
by jshurak / December 30, 2010 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: same issue with music

I was able to play the files via usb device. Has anyone figured the cause of this? The files are identical on both devices (usb + UPnP)

Collapse -
Yes we have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2010 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: update

The encodings supported by USB and DLNA are not the same. We have long discussions about that so I hope the short answer helps you along.

There are no plans I know of to add more encodings to DLNA.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by CDefense7167 / November 21, 2010 9:17 AM PST

Same problem on a BD-C6500 from Wal-Mart. All software updated. Will be returning to store shortly unless this can be fixed.

Collapse -
Same Issue
by flippnbits / December 22, 2010 12:34 AM PST

I'm having the same problem trying to access MP3 files from my NAS. No luck and haven't found a solution yet.

Collapse -
by dariva / June 12, 2011 12:00 PM PDT

The files appear on TV, but it does not recognize a JPG (or JPEG) and even MP3 files. Can anyone give any tips?The message is always the same: File format not supported.
I use Linux / Ubuntu with uShare.

Collapse -
Samsung mediacenter can't read media frm Windows Home Server
by Dingcpx / December 7, 2011 3:34 AM PST

I recently bought a Samsung Mediacenter HTB-C6500WWB with WIFI support.
I can stream pictures(jpg), music(mp3) and video(MKV and avi) from my Windows 7 PC almost fine. (sometimes MP3 albums are skipped)
But when I try the same from my Windows Home Server I can see all albums, folders and files(mp3, jpg, mkv, avi) but I can't play any. Samsung just returns with 'File format not supported'.

I tried adding a plugin to my Windows Home server, 'media connect addin', but that doesn't help.

I emailed with Samsung and the emailed me back that I have to call them because they don't know the problem... yeah right! Angry

Collapse -
You explained it well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2011 3:41 AM PST

Microsoft is pretty keen on keeping their stuff closed up. That is, what you noted worked well with the XBOX but not so good with other devices.

All I can offer is to see if any of the DLNA servers can be installed on that WHS box.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.