I apologize for the inconvenience here. If you are just seeing this sporadically, it is likely related to high site traffic at certain times. However, if this happens consistently every time you scan, it may be related to any of the following: personal firewalls, proxy servers, ad-blockers, network security suites, scam- and malware-blockers, ISP-provided software, and browser add-ons. Additionally, local settings in your Internet Options or your Windows Firewall may prohibit a connection.
As a program which requires a network connection to operate, CNET TechTracker is privy to complications due to applications which intentionally or unintentionally block its network traffic. CNET TechTracker scans your computer and then sends its information to our servers to generate your report. While this is perfectly safe, your security software may see this as a threat since it is an unrecognized program which is sending and receiving information over the internet.
To resolve these issues, you usually just need to "teach" the software that CNET TechTracker is a trusted application, by creating a "rule" or "exception" within your settings that will let our network traffic through. You may also have to create rules for the following domains: cnet.com, com.com, and download.com.
If you are reasonably certain that security settings are not at fault here, please submit a support ticket per the following process so we may perform more in-depth troubleshooting:
1. Go to http://cnet.custhelp.com
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your CNET TechTracker account.
4. Fill in the "Subject" and "Details" section with a description of your query or issue.
5. From the "Category" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option.
6. Click the "Continue..." button.
7. Be sure to click the "Finish Submitting Question" button if none of the suggested links in the pop-up window help resolve your issue.
CNET TechTracker Support
when i run the scan i get the following error message: "an error ocurred during the scan: general scan failure." how do i resolve this issue?