Download.com Site Feedback

Question

error message during scan

by fimf / March 27, 2012 6:41 AM PDT

when i run the scan i get the following error message: "an error ocurred during the scan: general scan failure." how do i resolve this issue?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error message during scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error message during scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please check your security settings
by CNETSupport / March 29, 2012 7:22 AM PDT

Hi fimf,

I apologize for the inconvenience here. If you are just seeing this sporadically, it is likely related to high site traffic at certain times. However, if this happens consistently every time you scan, it may be related to any of the following: personal firewalls, proxy servers, ad-blockers, network security suites, scam- and malware-blockers, ISP-provided software, and browser add-ons. Additionally, local settings in your Internet Options or your Windows Firewall may prohibit a connection.

As a program which requires a network connection to operate, CNET TechTracker is privy to complications due to applications which intentionally or unintentionally block its network traffic. CNET TechTracker scans your computer and then sends its information to our servers to generate your report. While this is perfectly safe, your security software may see this as a threat since it is an unrecognized program which is sending and receiving information over the internet.

To resolve these issues, you usually just need to "teach" the software that CNET TechTracker is a trusted application, by creating a "rule" or "exception" within your settings that will let our network traffic through. You may also have to create rules for the following domains: cnet.com, com.com, and download.com.

If you are reasonably certain that security settings are not at fault here, please submit a support ticket per the following process so we may perform more in-depth troubleshooting:

1. Go to http://cnet.custhelp.com
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your CNET TechTracker account.
4. Fill in the "Subject" and "Details" section with a description of your query or issue.
5. From the "Category" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option.
6. Click the "Continue..." button.
7. Be sure to click the "Finish Submitting Question" button if none of the suggested links in the pop-up window help resolve your issue.

Regards,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
I find it comical
by ultimitloozer / April 11, 2012 5:14 PM PDT

that tech support personnel love to blame something else immediately without considering that this same piece of sofware was working previously and now it is not. If firewall rules, proxy servers, etc have not changed at all, how can you explain your software working at one point and not at another? I could see it as a possibilitiy if any network-related changes were made, but when there are none, it is clearly a deficiency in the software itself.

And if it is network-related, why is it a "General Scan Failure"? That should be reported as a network failure of some sort. And if it needs to contact your servers AFTER the scan, why does it not even appear to hit the hard drive at all before popping up this clearly inadequate message?

This is the same type of behavior that caused me to remove your TechTracker software previously when I encountered a problem with its inability to scan and even track the correct information about the installed programs on my system. It is looking like I should have not even bothered with trying this piece of **** again.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by DXMC / April 11, 2012 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: I find it comical

I have been using TechTracker for a long time and I have always had a problem with inaccurate scan results. Now, just this morning I tried to run it and got a General Scan Failure for the first time. I have also not made any changes to my firewall or networking settings and I'm not having any other problems, networking or otherwise.I see from Googling this that it is an issue which has come up before but there doesn't appear to be a straightforward solution. But I think the problem is with TechTracker, which has always been buggy, and not my computer.

Collapse -
General Scan Failure (04/12/2012)
by CNETSupport / April 12, 2012 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

Hello DXMC,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience here. As of this morning, April 12, we are seeing a big spike in this specific error message. This spike appears to be due to an internal issue that we are aware of and are working to fix as soon as possible. Thank you very much for your patience in the meanwhile!

Regards,
Jen
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Working Now
by DXMC / April 12, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

Thanks, it now appears to be back to normal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.