Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error Message: Cannot copy "xxxxxxxxxx:" The resulting file

by TivoBoxBoy / April 13, 2009 6:36 AM PDT

I tried to copy a folder from my C: drive to my external hard drive and got the following error message.

Error Message: Cannot copy "xxxxxxxxxx:" The resulting file name is too long. Specify a different file name.

This happened when I copied the folder from the C: drive to a folder on the external hard drive.

So.. I copied the folder to the drive E:\ not inside a folder and it worked. Then I copied the folder to the place where it was originally copied to... E:\Folder1\Folder2 and it worked.

External Hard drive = Western Digital Passport, 320GB, format NTFS
Windows XP operating system on desktop.

Does the error message mean that the file is too long, this seems like a wierd error and wonder if there really is another problem.

Why does it work if I copy the folder to the E:\ and THEN the folder inside?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error Message: Cannot copy "xxxxxxxxxx:" The resulting file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error Message: Cannot copy "xxxxxxxxxx:" The resulting file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's The Actual Copied "Path" Name..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

For example, if the copied file is located in a folder named: "Antidisestablishmentarianism1000021" and the subfolder is also called "Antidisestablishmentarianism1000021", and inside it lies a folder named: "Extremly Long Words That I Try My Best Not To Spell" and inside that is a file named "Antidisestablishmentarianism1000021.doc", then file path name could possibly be: C:\Antidisestablishmentarianism1000021\Antidisestablishmentarianism1000021\Extremly Long Words That I Try My Best Not To Spell\Antidisestablishmentarianism1000021.doc.

So...the way to fix the problem is to reduce the size of the file and folder names all the way down the path.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Is the limit
by TivoBoxBoy / April 13, 2009 6:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Each New Name Compounds The Problem
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 13, 2009 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Is the limit

And yes, it's not just one file with a name of 256 characters...It's when you copy the file within a folder, within a folder, to a different location and the entire file path must be used.. It doesn't just read the final file name. It reads all file and folder names in between.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
This would make automatic backups an issue
by TivoBoxBoy / April 14, 2009 9:59 PM PDT

I can see how this would cause a problem with a job that automatically backs up your folders to an external hard drive.

Collapse -
Yes It Does, Unless...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

The backup software has a method which works around the issue..

Or..

You use a "mirror" program which copies a mirrored image from the original HD to the second HD.. In that case, file names aren't an issue.

For normal copying of files from one location to another, I've frequently seen a large file name block the entire process.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.