Site Feedback forum

Error message about incorrect config. at startup

by pdecrocq / December 15, 2011 4:29 AM PST

Yesterday, as I started CNET TT, it proposed a software update to me. Which I accepted. I installed. Since then, each time I start it, I have an error message upon startup "This software is not correctly configured to handle download requests from the Tech Tracker website. Please reinstall Techtracker to correct this problem".
I did so and downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled.
But the same message appears every time I start it.
Thanks for help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error message about incorrect config. at startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error message about incorrect config. at startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
No reaction ?
by pdecrocq / December 16, 2011 2:20 AM PST

I will soon stop using the tool, then...

Collapse -
RE: Error message about incorrect config. at startup
by CNETSupport / December 20, 2011 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: No reaction ?

Hi Pierre,

I apologize for the delay in response here. I have converted your post into a proxy ticket in our support system so that we may better assist you; you should receive an e-mail to let you know that the ticket has been submitted, and another e-mail will alert you to our response, which you may expect shortly.

In the future, you may submit support tickets directly through our support web site by following these steps:

1. Go to
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your account.
4. From the "Category:" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option, and the "TechTracker General" sub-option.
5. Fill in the subject line and the "Details:" section.
6. Click the "Submit Question" button, and please be sure to follow through to the final confirmation page!

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Thanks ! waiting for your response
by pdecrocq / December 20, 2011 5:29 AM PST

Thanks !
didn't know about this.
Now waiting for your response.

Collapse -
Same Thing
by behanp / March 7, 2012 10:46 PM PST

I too am having the problem. I just uninstalled and re downloaded the program and re installed. Still get the same error. WIN 7 - FireFox. Thought the browser don't matter, the error shows at startup before browser opens. Also. I have the settings to scan 1 time a week. Being done EVERYTIME windows opens. Many errors in newer version.

Collapse -
I've created a proxy ticket for you
by CNETSupport / March 27, 2012 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Thing

Hi PJ,

I apologize for the difficulty you have encountered. I have converted your post into a proxy ticket as well, so that we may gather some more information from you regarding this issue. You should receive an e-mail to let you know that the ticket has been submitted, and another e-mail will alert you to our response, which you may expect within one business day.

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
by pdecrocq / March 28, 2012 6:58 AM PDT

Thanks but that's the second time a proxy ticket is created for this same problem.
And the first one has not given a lot of results.

Collapse -
(NT) Why don't you just fix this problem?
by hobbspeter / March 28, 2012 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
We are working on this issue
by CNETSupport / March 29, 2012 7:25 AM PDT

I completely understand that those of you who are experiencing this issue may be frustrated by it, but we are currently working on a resolution. Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA on a fix, but I will be sure to let you know when we do. In the meanwhile, we greatly appreciate your patience.

As for proxy tickets - we generally create those in cases where we need to gather more in-depth information that may not be appropriate to post on the forums (such as e-mail addresses, and other personal information). Creating tickets for issues like this one, in particular, also helps us keep better records and allows us quicker access to all the information we have collected from various users and various sources.

In general, the best and fastest way to get help with any technical issue, especially if it is not something covered in our FAQ articles, is to submit a support ticket through our site here:

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Have I been patient enough ?
by pdecrocq / August 9, 2012 12:22 AM PDT

Despite patiences, things seem a bit quiet !
The problem, although known, hasn't been fixed since march !!!
What's happening ?
Thanks for fixing this problem.

Collapse -
RE: Have I been patient enough ?
by CNETSupport / August 9, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

We are still actively working on a solution to this issue, and have recently made some progress, but at this time, I still do not have an exact ETA on when the fix will be finalized and released. We are hoping this will be in the very near future, and again, as soon as I do have further information to pass along, I will let you (and other users affected by this issue) know. I do apologize for the inconvenience in the meanwhile!

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Any Updates?
by mhopper29 / October 17, 2012 12:38 AM PDT

Hello there, I was just wondering if theres any update as to the status of this issue with TechTracker. Please note this only occurs when it attempts to start TechTracker when a Standard User logs-in e.g. it's a UAC related issue.

Collapse -
Re: techtracker
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 17, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Any Updates?

Doesn't make much sense to run techtracker as a standard user, because you're not allowed to update programs.

Collapse -
Re :techtracker
by mhopper29 / October 17, 2012 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: techtracker

I'm not running it as a standard user, but as part of the installation process it sets it up such that at startup it runs and does it's usual task of scanning for updates.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.