Computer Help forum

Question

error message

by bucky236 / May 3, 2013 1:36 AM PDT

Windows 7, Puget systems, intel core i7

I get an error message that seems to be random...

"Run DLL

There was a problem starting
C:users\greg\appdata\local\temp\stququx\shxirpe\wow.dll
A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

Everything seems to be working fine. I just keep getting this message...

thoughts?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: error message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Simple. Delete it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2013 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: error message

Executables (.dll is such) do not belond in temp. This is a sign of some infection (malware, virus, trojan, bad stuff) so I offer TWO pieces of advice.

1. Do what Grif notes at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421
2. Find and learn how to use HIJACKTHIS to remove the item that is calling this.

And again, delete that DLL to cut off the pest's legs.
Bob

Collapse -
I'd love to "delete it" but...
by bucky236 / May 5, 2013 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple. Delete it.

...not sure what "it" is...

Completed step 1 above...cleaned out some files but still getting the same message.
Did step 2 but when I try to analyze what's found I get a message saying "no connection to the internet" although one is present.

what next?

Collapse -
Step 2 does not require an internet connection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2013 1:30 PM PDT

I'm left to guess why this is needed. Here I have to use my good PC to troubleshoot and research problems with PCs that won't connect to the internet.

Bob

Collapse -
Is your response a riddle?
by bucky236 / May 5, 2013 2:49 PM PDT

After running hijackthis there's an option to select one of the results and "analyze." Unfortunately when I click to analyze I get a message that states "no Internet connection detected" although I do have an Internet connection. I don't know why it's needed. Perhaps the program searches the Internet to identify the programs on the list? You're the helpful expert. There is mention that this may be caused by the malware I'm trying to remove.

Collapse -
That's no riddle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2013 2:53 PM PDT

You can take the information and manually type it into google and research it the old fashioned way. Yes, some folk don't do that and will take offense at the extra steps.
Bob

Collapse -
found the file with AVG but...
by bucky236 / May 6, 2013 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: That's no riddle.

can't delete it. Get a "folder access denied" message...what's next?

Collapse -
A few ways .
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

I urge caution since some infections will cause the OS to fail once you delete them. It's a shame I can't know what the folder and file name was but there are a few common routines/methods I use to delete such things.

1. Boot in safe mode and try.
2. Google Windows 7 Take Ownership to gain access.
3. Boot a live OS from USB/CD and delete it there.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.