Computer Help forum

General discussion

Error: File System is damaged. PLEASE HELP!?

by collincarey / October 23, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can aid me in resolving this issue ASAP. Basically O&O Defrag (v10) continues to tell me that my main drive (a 320GB Hitachi SATA HDD) has a damaged file system after every CHKDSK. Over the past several days I have run every CHKDSK scan/repair that I could manage (e.g. CHKDSK /P /R from Recovery Console, A "Fix file system and repair bad sectors" scan from the "Disk" tools in Windows, etc...), yet I am always greeted with the same problem. Error: File system is damaged. I have even gone so far as to rebuild the MBR and the Boot sector to no avail. I am guessing the problem lies in the MFT (although I am not an expert), because after rebuilding the MBR, a large cluster of data (Approximately 50 GB) that was once labeled as Reserved for the $MFT in O&O disappeared, magically freeing up said 50 GB from used HDD space. Any help would be greatly appreciated for I do not wish to do what seems to inevitably be my only option... reformat.

(Also, as of last night Copy and Paste functionality was not working, if that helps with the diagnosis.) (And this drive is less then half a year old, so there is really no reason for it to go bad this early in its lifetime.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error: File System is damaged. PLEASE HELP!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error: File System is damaged. PLEASE HELP!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They have a support contact.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 4:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
O&O Support
by collincarey / October 23, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

I just sent a support request. Thanks for the tip. Although I hope to find a solution faster than their quoted "several days for a response".

Anyone have any ideas on how to repair a damaged file system?

(Remember I have run CHKDSK /R /P from the Reocvery Console and from within Windows to no avail)

Collapse -
Stop using o&o till they respond.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: O&O Support

No need to run this till they tell you what's up. It's unlikely defragmenting will hurt performance in the short time they take to supply the answer.

Collapse -
Defraging a damaged HDD.
by collincarey / October 23, 2007 5:22 AM PDT

From what I know it is not good practice to defrag a damaged volume (although correct me if I am wrong, that is why I thought there was an Option in O&O that will not run a defrag unless CHKDSK gives the OK), as the defrag could place files in bad sectors and further increase the corruption that has begun to occur.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 5:28 AM PDT

I can't count how many posts there are here where a member defragged and lost their files.

Collapse -
Fixing damaged file system?
by collincarey / October 23, 2007 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right.

Do you know how one can go about fixing a damaged file system then?

Collapse -
I fix it by...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 6:38 AM PDT

Installing a new drive, the OS and then migrating to the new drive. Sadly there are no great tools to note in some file system damages. Which is why it's time to stop using said programs till you get a reply from O&O.

I wonder about which OS you have. Some had their XP CD(no SP) and expanded the partition past 127GB and create an issue like yours.

Collapse -
Windows XP Pro OEM (with SP1 integrated)
by collincarey / October 23, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I fix it by...

I use the OEM flavor of Windows XP Pro (with SP1 integrated) if that helps the situation.

I was actually just on the phone with Hitachi and have a Replacement order in the works.

Collapse -
For closure...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 7:12 AM PDT

It is not the old XP CD issue that I noted.

Collapse -
files system
by liekhuntjang / September 21, 2008 1:35 AM PDT

after installing virtual drive then i use it for playing games the files system in all partition is damaged and therefore I loose all the data I want to know what the causes of this

Collapse -
See virtual drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: files system

There were a few out there with bugs that trash systems. Why use those?

Collapse -
Status Update
by collincarey / October 24, 2007 9:17 AM PDT

Thanks for the help guys. Kinda goofed tho, was actually a Western Digital to my surprise, I had assumed it was the Hitachi drive... go figure. Anyway, I placed my advanced replacement order today with WD.

Although I was wondering, what would be the best way to copy my old data to the new drive? Would just copying from Windows on the new drive cause any data to become corrupt, possibly as it is reading the data. I ask because a zip file I had downloaded the night before showed as empty yesterday as well as temporary file folders (for installing new programs, gave me an error that the temp folder the exe had copy files to for the install was not present no less then immediately after the setup copied them). Thanks again.

Collapse -
Install Windows first.
by BrianZachary / October 24, 2007 5:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Status Update

If you were asking if it would be ok to transfer Windows from one hard drive to another, it's best to just install Windows on the new hard drive first. Then you should be able to move your own personal files from the old one to the new one with little effort. You would need to have them both connected to the computer at the same time though of course.

Collapse -
Could be a damaged/failing drive
by Dango517 / October 24, 2007 6:16 PM PDT

Run this tool "Data Lifeguard tools" to check. Might May have bad sectors in it. Even new ones fail.
You'll need to know specifically which one you have. See device manager for details. Use this link to get the free tool:

Hope this helps. Happy

This thread is untracked.

Collapse -
Regarding transfering files from a corrupt disk.
by collincarey / October 25, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

Thanks all for the quick responses.

As I stated earlier my plan is to install a new copy of XP onto the replacement drive which is on its way.

My question is that if I attempt to recover (a.k.a. copy) my files from the corrupted/damaged disk (which just to refresh is being caused by a "damaged filesystem") in doing so would I cause further data loss? Basically by accessing the files from the NEW Windows installation on the old drive, would the bad filesystem corrupt or damage the data as I am copying it?|

Collapse -
You have to move forward.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2007 6:29 AM PDT

Of you'll never know. Given damaged file systems I've seen over the years no one can answer this one. Copy the files out before it gets worse.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob.
by collincarey / October 25, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

Great... well, wish me luck then.

Thanks all for your help everyone. (Especially you Bob Grin )

I will repost with the results once I receive the new drive.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.