Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Error Attaching Word doc to Outlook email in Office 2007

by tmy23 / January 3, 2011 11:44 PM PST

Greetings. I recently bought a new PC, running windows 7, and installed
Office 2007 and Norton Internet Security. I did not have this problem on my previous system which was XP with the same versions of Office 2007 and N.I.S.

When attaching a word doc to an email in outlook, the attachment occurs and I can send the email, but a Word dialogue box appears in the background claiming an "error saving file...can be due to disk space.... it also
mentions antivirus programs." A second dialogue box appears on top saying it is impossible to close word because of the other (the error mentioned above) dialogue box. The word shortcut on my task bar does not
appear "open" but if I go to task manager, word is open. I can continue to send emails with attached doc files without closing the previous dialogue boxes, creating another open instance of word and two accompanying error
dialogue boxes for every email I send with a doc attached. Eventually I can crash the system having dozens and dozens of instances of word open in error
state.

If I happen to open word and want to edit the document within word, it will not allow me to edit it because of all the unresolved errors. I have to go to the desktop, and sequentially close all the error dialogue boxes, then I
can open the doc file in word.

Starting from a "clean start" I can open word, open the document I want to attach, select "send to" and send as an attachment that way, it works normally, word closes normally, no remnants of word open in task manager.

Hence it seems there is some problem in the interaction between outlook and word when outlook is initiating the connection.

I have tried two commonly mentioned fixes:
1. the registry edit of word12 and renaming of normal.dotm
2. uninstalled office using the FIXIT utility (On Microsoft.com) and reinstalled office, with no change,

the error still occurs.

I have plenty of disk space, probably .5 gig, plenty of resources, I have 8gig ram and very few apps open.

Detailed Error Message is:

Title : Word has encountered a problem.

There is a problem saving the file.

Usually this is because the disk or floppy disk is too small for the file or is full, RAM memory is low, or there is a permission problem with the drive the file is being saved to.

If the amount of disk space for a paging file is low, save the file to another drive. If the RAM memory is low, increase available RAM. If permissions to the drive do not allow you to save to that drive, save the file to another drive or request permissions from the administrator to save files to the drive.

Note: This error can also occur if the computer is running a version of antivirus software that is not compatible with the Microsoft Office system or needs to be updated.

Thank you!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error Attaching Word doc to Outlook email in Office 2007
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error Attaching Word doc to Outlook email in Office 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook/Word error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 3, 2011 11:47 PM PST

If reinstalling Office doesn't help, we suspect the profile. So make a new Windows account and try there. Does it work there?

Kees

Collapse -
any solution to this ?
by saarblitz / January 15, 2011 4:59 PM PST

Happens to me as well. Didn't see/find any solution yet.

Collapse -
same problem
by Christopher-Chicago / March 14, 2011 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: any solution to this ?

Exact same thing happening. Anyone have any ideas?

Collapse -
Outlook Word Attachment Error Messages
by Larry-Sw / December 14, 2011 2:56 PM PST

I developed this problem recently after some Windows updates. The
problem seems to be caused by the Word previewer opening too slowly in
the preview pane of the Outlook attachment selection window. If you
click on "Attach File" in Outlook and then double click on a Word file
you want to attach, the error messages occur. If you single click on
the Word file, wait for the preview to appear in the preview window, and
then click insert, the error messages do not occur. These error
messages only seem to appear with Word files.

The only work around I have found (other than waiting for the preview to
appear) is to open Windows Explorer and then select Tools=>Folder
options=>View and then uncheck "Show preview handlers in preview
pane". Unfortunately, doing so turns off previews for all file types,
not just Word files.

Hopefully Microsoft will come up with a fix so that previews can remain
on and users can still double click file names to add attachments to
Outlook messages.

Collapse -
Outlook word attachment cannot close word error messages
by gbcl / March 3, 2012 4:12 PM PST

Had this problem with my Win 7 64-bit system on and off since installation. Thought I had cured it until a month ago I replaced system disk with a fast SSD drive - then it was back again. LIke many I have tried everything - re-installation of Office 97, Nuance pdf professional, BItdefender 11, etc. Having trawled the web to find an answer to this very irritating problem, I have finally found Larry-Sw's workaround to turn off showing preview handlers in Explorer. At last - thank you! Despite what some respondents and technical advisors say, this problem has nothing to do with Norton Antivirus (or any other anti virus it would seem). It is a Windows/Office 97 software bug. Come on Microsoft! Question - has anyone out there found a cure rather than a workaround?

Collapse -
Outlook word attachment cannot close word error - solved
by gbcl / March 4, 2012 9:45 PM PST

Guess I should provide the addendum. Having applied Larry-Sw's workaround thought I would try the uninstall and reinstall of Word in Office 97 again. This time it seemed to do the trick. Preview handlers on and working fine and the irritating glitch when attaching word files in Outlook appears to have disappeared. No idea why this time it worked........

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.