Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Error: 50's ruining my life.

by caktus / July 4, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

When I attempt to go online I get an error dialogue that says ''All devices connected. Error 50: The request is not supported.''

Immediately follwing a restart I can usually get online with no problem. Only the seccessive attempts to go online produce the error.

No viruses or ad/spyware detected. All Critical Updates are installed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem to no avail. I have also uninstalled the modem from Add/Remove programs and reinstalled to no avail. I have also reduced the maximum connection speed to 1200 bps, the lowest setting available also to no avail.

Supposedly there are no problems at the ISP and I have twice reconfigured the dialup settings according to the ISP's boiler-plate directions at http://forms.intergate.com/system.php?system=help&pageid=43&referid=IGATE-INTRNL and still no go.

System Restore and Non-Destructive as well as Destructive System Restoration are no help.

I have also tried the suggestion at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7584-0.html?forumID=63&threadID=185192&messageID=2014981 but still no success. Infact following this I could not get online at all. System Restore put things back the way it was just previousely and I can get online only after restarting.

I have also tried all of the above following clean boots and still no go.

I'm using emachines T3624 with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 preinstalled. The modem is a SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP. According to the Device Manager there are no conflicts and the moden is enabled. Every time I try to go online I can hear the dialing and other sounds associated with going online.

If someone could suggest some other things to try I'd be sure appreciate it. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to dealing with modems.

I don't no if this may have anything to do with the dialup porblem but the Desplay colors are not comming out right and the Desplay resolution is kind of jerky. I'm thinking I may need to replace the video card but I'm not sure what kind or how.

Thanks.

Charlie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error: 50's ruining my life.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error: 50's ruining my life.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Problem solved. Thanks.
by caktus / July 5, 2006 5:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
So what did you do to fix the Error 50?
by wdsjr / August 3, 2006 12:07 AM PDT

The error 50 is also killing me. I am using a IBM T42 ThinkPad with WP Prof. IBM and Microsoft tech help have been unable to figure out how I can get my dial up to work.

What did you do to get rid of the Error 50?

Thanks

Collapse -
error 50
by rl48off / August 14, 2006 6:36 AM PDT

I have the same problem I'm also using SBC yahoo dialup and are wondering if thats the cause ?? do you have a fix Please
Ronnie

Collapse -
error 50 I've tried everything PLEASE share what solved it
by 7eastward7 / August 16, 2006 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: error 50

I have gateway Notebook, Winxp with SP2 included, softk56 modem dial-up connection:

I have:

1. Did everything posted above with resetting settings
2. Ran Winsockxpfix--but I need to run it and restart EVERY time!
3. Followed directions from:

http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?t=6781

which totally shut down my modem and drivers and made me have to use ''go back'', to get on line again, then download a modem driver and re set up modem entirely. BTW when I run diagnostics on modem or drivers they check out all ok.

4. I was told I would have to uninstall my entire computer --reformat, reinstall all software and all files--trying not to do that--teh tech was going to charge $95 and take my computer for 3 days (I never met him--am trying a budget solution on my time). My gateway did not come with original OS CDs or drivers just CDs to create a startup-set of disks--by the time I did this I believe my system was corrupted already so I am reluctant to use the disks--I emailed gateway and they are mailing me the original OS and modem drivers.

That's it--error 50 is STILL ruing my life--Please, please, please share the solution--its such a headache.

Many thanks (please notify me if you have a solution at pacificmhc@toast2.net THANK YOU

Collapse -
RE: PLEASE share what solved it
by caktus / August 17, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Hi.

One thing that seemed to work for awhile was deleting the modem in the Device Manager and Add Remove > turn off then unplug the computer > remove the modem hardware from the computer > plug in and start the computer. After the computer fully starts repeat everything except ''re''install the modem hardware. This seemed to be the most reliable method and has worked for others.

As I mentioned this only worked in my case for awhile. Then I did it all over again with the exception of reinstalling the modem in a different modem slot. This aslo worked [for awhile].

Then I remembered I have a ERUNT back up on CD and restored the registry with it. This workes, but only for awhile.

I have run CPU and memory tests and perhaps every freeware local and online malware scan known to man and found no problems. In my case I think mabe The modem or HD is going bad but I just can't replace them yet.

I'm beginning the think that the #50 (as well as #6) errors are catch-all errors for DUN problems that MS can't figure out.

I am trying to find a freeware ''registry compare'' utility to help me figure out what keeps changing. There are many but I have not yet found one that I can quite figure outor easly use.

Perhaps someone with insite to just what causes this problem will teach us all just what the deal is.

I hope this helps.

Charlie

Collapse -
This seeme to be working [so far]
by caktus / August 17, 2006 6:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reply to: This seeme to be working [so far]
by caktus / August 18, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

So far the rarepair.zip I found at http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?t=6781 is working like a charm. I really din't understand about RAS or NDISWAN component and haven't found an explanation I quite understand. Perhaps one of you guru's out there can explain it in layman's terms.

Charlie

Collapse -
No luck with error 50 still
by 7eastward7 / August 19, 2006 7:50 PM PDT

I tried the link:

http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?t=6781

again just in case it would work also for me, but no such luck. After I ran it, it automatically reinstalled the modem driver, or I manually installed it and it checks out fine with the diagnostics. Only when I try to create a connection with it, it cannot find or recognize the modem. I tried all sorts of things to sort it out but again had to go back to an earlier date and time to at least get back on line.

Gateway recommends a destructive OS reinstall; and if that doesn't work, sending them the notebook for repair.

I just cannot wait to backup all of my files, set up my old desktop, load all of my old software and data files, then do it all again when the notebook gets back.

If anyone recommends aparticular memory stick (type, brand, and model) please advice.

I would welcome any more success efforts that last for the error 50. What is causing this error in the first place? Why is it so successful? Its baffling.

Many thanks.

Collapse -
It would be ger-r-r-r-ate if the Guru's at CNet would...
by caktus / August 21, 2006 9:34 AM PDT

help us learn about causes/fixes for this "Error 50 All items connected. The request is not supported." deal.

I did run across these pages
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns50.asp
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dunserror.asp
regarding the matter.

Regarding the one about Window Firewall. Remember that running more than one firewall at a time can be troublesome. And that while Windows Firewall is better than no firewall, probably any other firewall is better than Window Firewall.

Hope this is of some help.

Collapse -
Help for dial up users
by MnEmIcRx / August 21, 2006 1:53 AM PDT

I've been using dial up for 3 years now and the best 1 - 2 combination is Advanced Windows Care 2.10.26438 and TZ Connection Booster 2.6 . Advanced Win resets some of the settings that TZ Conn. configures but it won't make that much of a difference on dial up . This has been the most solid connection i've had in 3 years .I can't help with the error 50 but it's possible Advanced Win will fix it up for you . Please try these 2 apps , they have worked for me . Good Luck .

Collapse -
Error 50 dialup help
by scribe011 / October 27, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

Had the same problem with win98XP home. Tried RArepair.exe but did not work. Decided to look for possible problems with running applications. Did control-alt-delete to enter task manager. Application tab showed winfax pro running. I removed winfax pro from applications box. Modem response increased and no further error 50 problem. I can now go on and off the net without rebooting.

Hope this solves the problem for others.

Collapse -
With error 50 fixed no more winfax capability
by 7eastward7 / October 27, 2006 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Error 50 dialup help

I sent my notebook to gateway to fix the error 50. I think they wiped the hard-drive. I had to reload all software except win xp. Afterwards--now I can no longer send a fax via winfax. If I try it starts to send it, I get a blue-dos-like screen then the computer re-starts. I've seen this problem on the web but no solutions. How do you fax anything?

Still no fax but dial-up connection is great!

Collapse -
ERROR 50!!!!!
by bx35559 / May 25, 2007 11:08 PM PDT

Did you figure out how to fix this? I've been back and forth on the phone with my ISP and Gateway for a month and still don't have it fixed! HELP! My PC does the same thing that you described. I get the error 50 message after I disconnect and then try to reconnect. It connects after I turn the computer off and restart it. I've only had this new pc since January! AGAIN...HELP!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.