Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Error 1002

by jonijames / February 2, 2008 8:11 AM PST

I was trying to restore my computer. I have a HP Compaq C552US. When I try to restore it from the partition, I keep getting an error message during the restore process. It is error 1002. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? I called Tech support and they are sending me some new discs. If the partition will not work, how will the new disks work? Can someone explain this also?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error 1002
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error 1002
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to include
by jonijames / February 2, 2008 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Error 1002

When I try to start my system, the screen reads BOOTMGR is missing.

Collapse -
Error 1002
by merdad98 / August 10, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

Hi, I am running into the same situation except I am using original HP recovery discs, Did you find a solution to your problem?

Collapse -
Boot MGR
by maxteach / August 11, 2008 6:08 PM PDT

After you started the boot process did you hit F11 to bring up the recovery partition? After three days of blue screens and other errors on my new HP tx2000 tablet I started over - the restore went fine coming off the the recovery partition and I also took the time to make a DVD+ recovery disk. After loading my programs and all my files again I started to get the same problems! So this time my plan was to recover and use it without any of my software loaded and one at a time load up programs trying to find why things were going bad. I have Vista on my Toshiba laptop and on my desktop and the same setup has never had any problems but trouble shooting 101 calls from a clean start so it was back to the restore game.

Good plan however I now get "Error 1002" as it reloads the software from both the DVD and the recovery partition. I guess it's time for phone support hell . . . . Anyone have a clue on what the error is or is it just on of those "catch all" errors.

Collapse -
Same issue!!!
by quatre1 / October 3, 2008 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Boot MGR

I got same problem as you experienced. I just got HP pavilion tx2517ca couple of days, and I found the system is really unstable, i have tried to update and fix it..but after all my adobe professional had crash down and Norton anti-virus cannot finish full scan.

I asked HP support online, and they advised me to restore system to original condition...then I got the same issue *error 1002,
HP advised me to Hard dive self test, then it failed.
So HP will send me a new hard disk drive and they said when i replace the new hard disk with the original one, the issue will be solved.
Actually, I tried to replace the laptop hard disk drive with another one, and used recovery disk to install system, but I got the same issue of error 1002 message.
I still not receive a new hard disk drive from HP..
I hope after the new drive come, the issue will be solved.
but i really not sure about it.

Collapse -
HP error 1002
by mmiskill / November 8, 2009 6:56 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue!!!

I went through the same thing with a set of restore discs ordered from HP. They tried to convince me the hard drive was bad. Here's the bottom line. HP's images are bad. If you look in the root folder, it probably already contains a patch. My discs did. This is a known issue with HP. Vista installed flawlessly from a Microsoft disc using the key code on the side of the computer tower. That same hard drive is now running Windows 7. HP went so far as to try to sell my 90-year old friend a new computer when he got that 1002 error. I wonder how many people they have gulled so far with that one?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.