Computer Help

General discussion

Error 0x0000007e remotely connecting to printer

by d_kcunningham / April 8, 2010 1:36 PM PDT

I have an eMachine T5082 PC running Windows 7 Ultimate with a HP laserjet P2015 and a Samsung CLP-310 series printer connected to it. I also have an ASUS Notebook K40IJ/K50IJ series that has had no problem connecting to the Samsung printer through the network but, will not connect to the HP laserjet. I have installed all the printer drivers from HP's website but still keep getting the same message when I try to install the network printer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x0000007e." I did an internet search for error 0x0000007e and found several sites that said that it is a registry problem. So, I ran a registry cleaner and had it fix the errors, but still keep getting the same error message. What can I do to be able to install and use the HP printer with my notebook?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Error 0x0000007e remotely connecting to printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Error 0x0000007e remotely connecting to printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to connect to printer
by kristain12 / April 8, 2010 4:08 PM PDT

I was also facing the same problem. What I did to solve the problem is given below:
Navigate to Control Panel. Select printer. Then, select Add Printer.
ChooseAdd a local printer. Hit on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Click Next.
A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie.

Collapse -
Error 0x0000007e remotely connecting to printer
by d_kcunningham / April 9, 2010 6:26 AM PDT

Thank you for the help. It worked!

Collapse -
Adding to the Local Port worked
by rchc.jt / September 21, 2010 3:00 AM PDT

Adding to the local port worked for me!

Collapse -
how to connect to remote printer
by imatnr / October 22, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

Attempting to connect W7 pro (new computer) to WXP home (old computer - only one HP Director from 2004 will work on). Same error message. This solution appears to have worked.

Collapse -
Cannot add to local port
by graymandd / December 11, 2010 5:03 AM PST

I have a similar problem but with another hp printer. I tried the workaround using a local port but when I typed in the server+printer address and clicked ok, I received an access denied message window. Since it pops up immediately, my assumption is that it is a local policy issue but I haven't been able to find the parm. Any ideas?

Collapse -
local port worked
by pharus / April 3, 2011 5:34 AM PDT

Thanks for the great tip. This solved my problem connecting a windows 7 laptop to a HP 4000TN printer attached to a networked computer.

Collapse -
add printer problem running windows 7
by Chillin4peace / November 30, 2011 4:52 AM PST

Running windows 7 had problem add a printer shared on another computer this suggestion work just perfect...thanks dear C-net user for sharing.

Collapse -
Thanks
by isthatclear / February 23, 2013 5:00 PM PST

Thank you for your kind advise. Arshad

Collapse -
Error 0x0000007e Printer problem
by MickBrown79 / February 11, 2011 11:06 PM PST
Collapse -
Here is the FIX that worked for me...
by The_Mann1 / August 23, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

Trying to connect Windows to the network printer and receiving message: operation failed with error 0x0000007e.

Go onto the server and then do a regedit.

HKLM / Software / Microsoft / Windows NT / Current Version /
Printer / Printers / <queue> / CopyFiles / BiDi

Deleting the CopyFiles key in the reg entries for those queues allowed them
to be added to the affected Win7 clients.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.